October 25, 2014, 05:47:29 AM

Author Topic: Canon didn't cancel the "1Ds" line when 1DX came out!  (Read 6388 times)

Cannon Man

Canon didn't cancel the "1Ds" line when 1DX came out!
« on: July 22, 2013, 03:44:38 PM »
Everyone seems to claim that Canon merged the 1D and 1Ds lines into the 1DX and killed the 1Ds line..

In all official stuff i've seen Canon has said that the 1DX is a combination of the speed of the 1D and full frame of the 1Ds.. hence the current 1D and 1Ds lines "merged". That does not mean that because the 1DX combines those good things from 1D IV & 1Ds III that there will not be a 1DXs.. (or whatever it is called)

I just wanted to make this clear.

I'm looking forward to working with both the 1DX and the 1DXs. The combo would kill any other camera brand.

canon rumors FORUM

Canon didn't cancel the "1Ds" line when 1DX came out!
« on: July 22, 2013, 03:44:38 PM »

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Re: Canon didn't cancel the "1Ds" line when 1DX came out!
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 04:36:28 PM »
1Dxcess.

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2013, 10:07:33 AM »

paul13walnut5

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2013, 10:19:17 AM »
Canon could do a daimante encrusted one with a pink furry eye cup surround and gold text and call it the 1D Essex.

(Sorry to non-UK readers)

rs

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2013, 10:20:35 AM »
1Ds mark IV
5D II | 24-70 II | 70-200 II | 100L | 40 | Sigma 50/1.4 | 40D | 10-22 | 17-55 | 580 EX II | 1.4x TC II

rumorzmonger

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2013, 11:21:49 AM »
Everyone seems to claim that Canon merged the 1D and 1Ds lines into the 1DX and killed the 1Ds line..

In all official stuff i've seen Canon has said that the 1DX is a combination of the speed of the 1D and full frame of the 1Ds.. hence the current 1D and 1Ds lines "merged". That does not mean that because the 1DX combines those good things from 1D IV & 1Ds III that there will not be a 1DXs.. (or whatever it is called)

I'm glad someone higher up in the Canon organization has finally stepped forward and cleared this up.  Are you a senior VP or something?
Nikon D800E, Nikon D7100, Fuji XE-1, Nikon FE2, Olympus OM-4Ti, OM-1 MD

bdunbar79

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2013, 11:49:00 AM »

I'm looking forward to working with both the 1DX and the 1DXs. The combo would kill any other camera brand.

Except a 1DXs or whatever, STILL wouldn't be a 1D or 1Ds series camera, so well, I guess you're wrong.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2013, 11:49:00 AM »

GuyF

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2013, 01:03:54 PM »
Canon could do a daimante encrusted one with a pink furry eye cup surround and gold text and call it the 1D Essex.

And the menus would be written in text-speak.

rpt

• Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2013, 01:11:43 PM »

Or Sussex or Middlesex or Wessex! Lot of sex in the UK! ;)

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2013, 02:24:40 PM »
Sleeping is Canon, they have nothing to introduce in resolution, DR  etc today
Nothing I have seen

SOS DD

It's hard to see anything when you're wearing blinDRs.

The 1D X has an excellent new AF system and a faster frame rate than any FF dSLR, ever.  But Canon is sleeping because Mikael is afflicted with DxOMark synDRome.  Whatever.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

m

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2013, 02:46:36 PM »
But Canon is sleeping because Mikael is afflicted with DxOMark synDRome.  Whatever.

Maybe they should call it the 1DXo then.  ;D

lintoni

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2013, 03:35:19 PM »

And the menus would be written in text-speak.

:D ;D

For both of you... keep up the good work!
EOS 5D iii, EOS 5, EOS 30, EF17-40L, EF24-105L, EF100-400L, EF100 f/2.8 macro, Samyang 14 f/2.8, 550EX, Magic Lantern

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2013, 03:41:51 PM »
Nothing I have seen

SOS DD

The 1D X has an excellent new AF system and a faster frame rate than any FF dSLR, ever.  But Canon is sleeping because Mikael is afflicted with DxOMark synDRome.  Whatever.

Sensor-wise they clearly were sleeping though, certainly for the non-1 series lines. (and the 60D (or the new Rebel) come on, even one of their marketers admitted they had the engineers cut the MFA code so they could create further future demand for a 70D or the current 7D and felt they could get away with it, granted fair enough they try to maximize money, but sometimes you really start pushing things a bit far, yeah they still make money, but look at how the Canon threads on every forum have lots of whiners these days compared to many years past so they are eroding brand loyalty and good will even if not sales to a large degree yet, although one could also say that had they pushed more they'd reallllly be dominating sales and thus they maybe have lost sales in a sense, who knows).

And if you read things they have said it is all no surprise. I point again to the guy who said they had a main goal for the 5D3 to have as large a margin as possible, granted not a crazy goal for a company, but the marketers were said to have wanted the old sensor line milked again because they thought they could get away with it. OK, maybe fair enough, maybe it is even sensible from some perspectives, but it IS not pushing forward and trying to be class leading and it is being asleep at the wheel as far as sensors go.

And back a few months before Nikon came out with FF one of their upper level marketing guys gave some astonishing responses to questions from reporters basically saying that Canon felt no need to do anything for FF for sensors or fps or anything since they were the ultimate king on the hill and years and years ahead of Nikon even being able to release ANY FF (Nikon released a FF like eight months later or something  ;D). It's actually pretty common, many a large company becomes a highly conservative, follower as soon as they sit on the top for a little and they are prone to stop market leading and pushing.

It will be interesting to see with the new round of bodies whether they feel they need to respond (or are able to) or are still in milk the old lines yet one more time mode.

And even the 5D3 what on earth do they do to the video to turn it from something world-class to mush? It's not the compression as using Ninja 2 brings back none of the quality for the most part. And no focus aids or zebras, etc.? But ML brings that all back at least.

BUT, anyway with ML RAW the 5D3 is, now, a stunning video DSLR, beyond stunning, it's video and liveview kick anything from Nikon, D800, D4, whatever, every which way 1000000x over and 1000000x over again. Although the sensor IS much weaker at any low ISO than the D800 and it doesn't provide as good reach for wildlife shooting, given the amazing video, better UI, full speed without grip and at FF and lack of AF manufacturing defects the 5D3 does, in it's own ways, hold up well though now too. Both have stunning characteristics in their own way and both are amazing DSLRs. Canon does have the world's best 24-70 lens now too (and probably same for 70-200 2.8 and super-teles, although the Nikon versions of those are all VERY good, maybe just not beyond beyond very good like the Canons) and the only truly pro-class 70-300 variable zoom and the best TSE lenses. And the 70D probably means they now have the best liveview/movie AF. That said pleassssse focus on the DR, it's more than time. I really do legit miss having D800-like DR in the field on a very regular basis. Just about everything else I like better about the Canon world though (although I think Nikon had more trustable AF until recently (D800 issues combined with 1Dx/5D3 improvements) and still does on all the lower models, although I haven't really compared enough to say that with deep authority) so it wouldn't be a pleasant switch to Nikon so I really hope Canon does finally look at low ISO DR again and solve that soon.

It really is almost impossible to describe how amazing the 5D3 video is now thanks to ML unlocking the full capabilities of the camera though. It's probably a bigger leap compared to D800 and for sure D4 video than D800 high DR ISO100 stills can be compared to 5D3 high DR ISO100 stills and that is saying a lot. If you care about video in a DSLR at all the 5D3 just can't be beat (certainly not without going to 1DC). Thanks to ML unlocking the 5D3's actual power, it's now one of the all-time classic DSLRs for the history books.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 04:14:05 PM by LetTheRightLensIn »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2013, 03:41:51 PM »

RLPhoto

• Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2013, 04:33:38 PM »
Nothing I have seen

SOS DD

Im talking about DR,  resolution, sensor tech  not AF

You  and Jrista have a funny way to answer here at CR , if we are discussing cars I will not answer you about motor cycles

Is it a big trauma for you that Canon are at 17  place in  the sensor rankings?
and maybe have one of the best AF?

Mikael, your still on about DR? Lol. That's Cute.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2013, 04:44:41 PM »
Im talking about DR,  resolution, sensor tech  not AF[/b]

Yes, Mikael, we know you're talking about DR and sensors. It's what you always talk about. It's all you ever talk about.  Thread about cameras?  You talk about sensors, only sensors. You spew the same DRivel in every thread.

if we are discussing cars I will not answer you about motor cycles

Of course you wouldn't. If we were discussing cars, you would answer about the 14 stops of DR from Sony/Nikon, how amazing it is, and how poor Canon's sensors are by comparison.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2013, 04:44:41 PM »