April 17, 2014, 11:41:42 PM

Poll

Adobe CC is now standard, Did you Adopt?

Yes. (one or more apps)
22 (20.8%)
No.
84 (79.2%)

Total Members Voted: 106

Author Topic: Who Adopted Adobe CC?  (Read 6811 times)

unfocused

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
Re: Who Adopted Adobe CC?
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2013, 09:40:19 PM »
I haven't yet, but I will.

I am going to wait until the last possible moment, then take advantage of the $19.99/month offer for CS6 owners. I'll try it for a year and hope they give in and offer an extended term or other deep discount before next year. If they don't, well...I'll always have CS6.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2013, 09:40:19 PM »

LetTheRightLensIn

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2013, 10:02:31 PM »

I am going to wait until the last possible moment, then take advantage of the $19.99/month offer for CS6 owners. I'll try it for a year and hope they give in and offer an extended term or other deep discount before next year. If they don't, well...I'll always have CS6.

I'm not sure, but don't you have to give up your perpetual CS6 license to go CC with the $20/month discount offer? Just make sure that isn't the case before you potentially end up doing something very regretful.

LetTheRightLensIn

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2013, 10:05:50 PM »
Yes, Adobe has it wrong. It should be Photoshop S (Subscription). What were they thinking?

They were thinking Cash Cow but it might end up being something less than that.

unfocused

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2013, 10:09:57 PM »

I'm not sure, but don't you have to give up your perpetual CS6 license to go CC with the $20/month discount offer? Just make sure that isn't the case before you potentially end up doing something very regretful.

I've read their terms and FAQs pretty closely. They say you will always have access to CS6. But, I sure as heck will check one more time before pulling the trigger.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

RunAndGun

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2013, 10:16:52 PM »
Nope.  I have CS5/LR3 and barely touch either one.  DPP was the main piece of photo software that I used for years with some DXO on the side...  Now it's Aperture and NIK plug-ins(I still use DXO when I need it).

When I "buy" software, I want to buy it and be done with it.  It'd be kinda like Ford saying you can no longer buy their vehicles, but for $XXX per month you can drive one for as long as you pay $XXX per month.

ragmanjin

• PowerShot G16
  • Life's never boring when you're insane
    • View Profile
    • Scratch Photography
It's really not so bad
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2013, 11:08:47 PM »
I was never able to afford the $6000 or whatever for a real licence before, so I ended up just buying the CS5 master collection from the Molino in Cusco, Perú. $4. I didn't feel so bad since I had paid someone for the programs, whether it was Adobe or not.
But as soon as they came out with the creative cloud thing, it's been awesome. $50/month or whatever (though they are open to a good barter if you call them, my assistant photographer is only paying $25/month) and you get every program, always up to date, anything new is yours immediately. By the time I've paid enough to match the previous cost of one of their programs, I'll already be using the next version. I haven't even paid as much as I would have had to for Lightroom 4 alone, and now I've got Lightroom 5 already. No extra charge.
In my opinion, this creative cloud stuff was an awesome call on Adobe's part — for people in my position. They basically f'd all the hobbyists.
Kodak A-1 Autographic, Pentax K1000, Canon EOS ELAN 7E, Mamiya 645AFD, Samsung Pro815, Canon XT, T2i, T3i, G11, SX40, Nikon D7000, Pentax K5IIs, Phase One DF+, P30+ and P45+ digital backs, Nikon D800....several systems worth of glass and lighting equipment. Regular renter of other gear

Jay Khaos

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2013, 11:17:48 PM »
It'd be kinda like Ford saying you can no longer buy their vehicles, but for $XXX per month you can drive one for as long as you pay $XXX per month.

Thats pretty much the definition of a lease haha... But yeah not having the option to buy would be weird.

I was never able to afford the $6000 or whatever for a real licence before, so I ended up just buying the CS5 master collection from the Molino in Cusco, Perú. $4. I didn't feel so bad since I had paid someone for the programs, whether it was Adobe or not.
But as soon as they came out with the creative cloud thing, it's been awesome. $50/month or whatever (though they are open to a good barter if you call them, my assistant photographer is only paying $25/month) and you get every program, always up to date, anything new is yours immediately. By the time I've paid enough to match the previous cost of one of their programs, I'll already be using the next version. I haven't even paid as much as I would have had to for Lightroom 4 alone, and now I've got Lightroom 5 already. No extra charge.
In my opinion, this creative cloud stuff was an awesome call on Adobe's part — for people in my position. They basically f'd all the hobbyists.

$6000 in what currency?  It's like $2600 (max) for CS master collection in the US... and who needs a license to master collection anyway??  I never understood that.... If you do work that requires professional software for editing like... every art form... $2500 should be chump change for anyone that talented...
5DIII | 85mm f1.2L • 70-200mm f2.8L IS II • 50mm f1.8 II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2013, 11:17:48 PM »

ragmanjin

• PowerShot G16
  • Life's never boring when you're insane
    • View Profile
    • Scratch Photography
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2013, 11:37:19 PM »

$6000 in what currency?  It's like $2600 (max) for CS master collection in the US... and who needs a license to master collection anyway??  I never understood that.... If you do work that requires professional software for editing like... every art form... $2500 should be chump change for anyone that talented...

At the time, running a magazine, working as a freelance journalist, graphic/web designer, photographer and magazine/newspaper redesigner, I used several of the programs very frequently. You've gotta be diverse if you want to make any money as a freelancer in Canada, being that the wages haven't increased or even adjusted for inflation since the early 70s. Basically the place fresh magazine ideas go to die, too. Thanks for killing media, Harper. Now running a photography studio and doing all the design, websites, ads, layout, video, etc. in house, I still use a good four or five programs regularly, though now I'm finding I use Capture One for more of the actual digital darkroom process than anything else.
Kodak A-1 Autographic, Pentax K1000, Canon EOS ELAN 7E, Mamiya 645AFD, Samsung Pro815, Canon XT, T2i, T3i, G11, SX40, Nikon D7000, Pentax K5IIs, Phase One DF+, P30+ and P45+ digital backs, Nikon D800....several systems worth of glass and lighting equipment. Regular renter of other gear

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
Re: It's really not so bad
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2013, 11:45:52 PM »

Yea, that's pretty much how it feels to me. They're ignoring the hobbyist/specialized person who only uses 1 or maybe 2 products and doesn't need or can't afford to upgrade every time a new version comes out, even at upgrade prices.
5D mark 2, 5D mark 3, EF 17-40mm f/4L,  EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 85mm f/1.8
Film Cameras: Mamiya RB67, RB-50, RB-180-C, RB-90-C, RB-50, Perkeo I folder, Mamiya Six Folder (Pre-WWII model)
http://www.aaronbaff.com

Hillsilly

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2013, 12:17:34 AM »

It was very expensive in Australia, too.  Cheaper to fly to the US and buy it then buy it locally.  I think CC is a good deal in comparison.

It would be interesting to compare global sentimentality towards CC.  I'd suspect that countries like Australia and much of Europe would feel more favourable towards it.
1000FN | 7E | 3000 | 3 | LS-100TS

Tabor Warren Photography

• Rebel T5i
  • I want to go shoot something with a Canon...
    • View Profile
    • Tabor Warren Photography
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2013, 12:40:14 AM »
Adobe finally blocked my account on fb after I continued to sarcastically poke fun of the cash cow they decided to go with, but no, as of now I have absolutely no plans to ever subscribe to the CC. I run a business, I do it ethically, I listen to my clients, but Adobe has bluntly chosen not to go down that path. CS5 works great for me and unless CS7 is announced, Adobe should not expect another dime from my bank account.

-Tabor
Bodies: 5D mk III x2, 5D mk. II, 7D, & 60D
Lenses: 17-40mm f/4L, 24mm f/1.4L, 35mm f/1.4L, 70-200mm f/2.8L ISII, 85 f/1.2L II, & 100mm f/2.8L
Flashes: 600EX-RT & 430 EX II | To see my work head on over to http://photosbytabor.com

M.ST

« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2013, 01:16:00 AM »
I don´t want go online with a computer with all my images on it.

Forget it Adobe.

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2013, 01:35:34 AM »
I've adopted CC 100% and the setup suits me perfectly.

But I appreciate completely the viewpoint of photographers who may want/need/can afford to upgrade only every few years. For them it's a shocker. If I was in a different position financially and not operating a business I'd be locking into CS6 and hoping that Adobe's promise to keep updating it holds good for many years.

-PW

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2013, 01:35:34 AM »

dirtcastle

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • Eric Nord Flickr Page
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2013, 03:13:33 AM »
I've been doing Creative Cloud since last summer. For me it's a good deal because I regularly use Photoshop, Lightroom, Illustrator, Premiere, and After Effects (often professionally). I can see why people are angry but either it's worth it or it's not. It's like a symphony of whining in here. If it's such a big deal, grab a torrent or find an alternative.

scottburgess

• Canon AE-1
  • Canonical Canon
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2013, 04:35:05 AM »
Still using Photoshop CS5.  Seriously thinking about volunteering on The GIMP to move the 16-bit version along.  It seems kinda crazy to spend oodles of money when The GIMP will probably soon do the same thing for free, including support for Photoshop plugins.  With enough volunteer support, the entire Creative Suite could be replaced with open source.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2013, 04:35:05 AM »