April 18, 2014, 02:31:40 AM

Author Topic: Bugs Bugs and more Bugs  (Read 4288 times)

rpt

• 1D X
  • Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
Re: Bugs Bugs and more Bugs
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2013, 01:19:09 PM »
A bit of "harmless" fun !!! Just started playing with reverse mounting my lens for extreme macro's ! Any constructive feedback would be much appreciated ! Details on my set up are on the site. Also i must say that the pictures where not tempered too much with in post.
Hope you enjoy:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/antonispapavasiliou/sets/72157634714073345/

p.s. harmless is in quotation marks as i was using a 35mm zeiss reversed ... maybe not a good idea exposing the rear element of that lens.  ::)

Lovely pictures. Was the lighting just the sun?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2013, 01:19:09 PM »

AcutancePhotography

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2013, 12:35:02 PM »
Nice shots.  How were you able to get so close without spooking the bugs?  Wish I could do that.
Be patient and you can do it :)

Those were some good tips.  Much appreciated. 
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light

Ant_Pap_Cy

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2013, 03:52:39 AM »
Nice pictures!

This is the type of photography I spend most time on. I have recently started to get annoyed by flashes in macro photography. No matter what kind of a flash you use, it ruins the picture in some way. Rectangular flashes cause annoying rectangular light areas on the eyes of flies for example. With jumping spiders you end up seeing a reflection of your complete flash gear.

The focus is not spot on on all of your pictures. Example:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/antonispapavasiliou/9328537496/#in/set-72157634714073345/lightbox/

Here you see that the focus is behind the head/eyes on the hairs on the fly's back. The flash problem I mentioned is also visible on the eyes. To get the focus right, you just have to take multiple shots and hope for the best. There is also dust on your sensor. The spots show up on macro shots easily, but you can also remove them in PP without too much work.

:) I rarely see perfect macro shots and I'd say I have taken none myself. There is always something that can be done better.

Hey mate,

Much appreciate all you wrote :) i have also just started playing with macro so this are merely my training shots :) i have seen excellent macro shots out there and i will keep practising to try and master this (i hope) :)
When it comes to the flash though i wasnt intending on using it as the one light source but more as a filler to the ambient light ! Though i do get what you mean by annoying rectangular lighted areas ! As i said, theres always room for practise and i'll keep experimenting taking in mind all you said as well :D

Many thanks,

Ant 

Ant_Pap_Cy

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2013, 03:57:26 AM »
A bit of "harmless" fun !!! Just started playing with reverse mounting my lens for extreme macro's ! Any constructive feedback would be much appreciated ! Details on my set up are on the site. Also i must say that the pictures where not tempered too much with in post.
Hope you enjoy:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/antonispapavasiliou/sets/72157634714073345/

p.s. harmless is in quotation marks as i was using a 35mm zeiss reversed ... maybe not a good idea exposing the rear element of that lens.  ::)

Lovely pictures. Was the lighting just the sun?

Hey rpt,

i was using mostly the ambient light and then filling with a flash ! As dick mentioned earlier you can spot the flash on some photos as you see some rectangular lighted areas ! But i do tend to mostly use a nice soft ambient light as it makes things look a lot more vivid !

Best, :)

Ant 

Ant_Pap_Cy

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2013, 03:58:44 AM »
Nice shots.  How were you able to get so close without spooking the bugs?  Wish I could do that.
Be patient and you can do it :)

Those were some good tips.  Much appreciated.

Anytime mate  ;D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2013, 03:58:44 AM »