December 22, 2014, 11:10:37 PM

Author Topic: Canon's Rumored 75mp Camera To Have a Non Bayer Multilevel Sensor?  (Read 18596 times)

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: Canon's Rumored 75mp Camera To Have a Non Bayer Multilevel Sensor?
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2013, 04:28:10 PM »
What I am wondering is what current-technology equivalent mp value would a 75 megaphotosite sensor maps to in terms of resolved detail?

No idea.  How about we say 37 MP?  Not because it's close to half of 75, but because it's one more than 36.   ;)  :P
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2013, 04:28:10 PM »

comsense

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2013, 04:31:36 PM »
“totally usable photosite count”

Which means the "75 MP" sensor is really a 25 MP sensor in terms of spatial resolution.
Its true only in terms of sensor architecture. In terms of image spacial resolution situation is far more complicated. While bayer and anti-aliasing filter leads to image spacial resolution loss in bayer sensors, its scattering of red photons in foveon. The reality is somewhere halfway for each. At the least, 25 MP foveon is going to be far superior to 25 MP bayer sensor in terms of spatial resolution of image.

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2013, 04:37:08 PM »
If there is a company to get this style of sensor correct and make it well, it's canon.

Pi

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Math and Photography
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2013, 05:00:47 PM »
What I am wondering is what current-technology equivalent mp value would a 75 megaphotosite sensor maps to in terms of resolved detail?

Hard to say because there is no single measure or resolution and therefore, no way to compare different sensors based on a single number.

bchernicoff

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
    • My Photos
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2013, 05:09:55 PM »

Hard to say because there is no single measure or resolution and therefore, no way to compare different sensors based on a single number.

I think line pairs per millimeter is pretty standard and directly comparable.
6D, Fuji X-T1, X-E1
Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 400mm f/2.8L II, 100mm L IS Macro, Sigma 85mm, & 35mm f/1.4's, Rokinon 14mm f/2.8,
Fuji 23mm 1.4, 35mm 1.4, 56mm 1.2, 14mm 2.8, 18-55, 55-200

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2013, 05:15:14 PM »

Except the problem is most reviewers don't (or can't) compare using the exact same lens, much less the exact same physical lens (due to different lens mounts).
5D mark 2, 5D mark 3, EF 17-40mm f/4L,  EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 85mm f/1.8
Film Cameras: Mamiya RB67, RB-50, RB-180-C, RB-90-C, RB-50, Perkeo I folder, Mamiya Six Folder (Pre-WWII model)
http://www.aaronbaff.com

Lawliet

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2013, 05:21:28 PM »

Theoretically thats dependent on what you shoot - gray gets picked up by all sites and you get the full resolution. Pure colored red fabrics for example otoh are a nightmare, only a quarter of the sites and repeating patterns that can cause artifacts.
Practically: Even at ISO100 whether a 5D3 or D800 give you more usable resolution depends on about everything but the sensor... ;)
25MP RGB and a sync speed that avoids motion blur and cuts ambient light enough to avoid narrow apertures/shortens flash duration plus a Canons current glass/AF? Sounds great!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2013, 05:21:28 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2013, 05:22:30 PM »
... no way to compare different sensors based on a single number.

Shhhhhh....whatever you do, don't tell DxOMark!   ::)
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2013, 05:24:45 PM »

I knew you couldn't resist! I was just waiting to see what you would post.
5D mark 2, 5D mark 3, EF 17-40mm f/4L,  EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 85mm f/1.8
Film Cameras: Mamiya RB67, RB-50, RB-180-C, RB-90-C, RB-50, Perkeo I folder, Mamiya Six Folder (Pre-WWII model)
http://www.aaronbaff.com

Pi

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Math and Photography
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2013, 05:28:19 PM »

I will not, I promise!  ;)

Pi

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Math and Photography
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2013, 05:33:10 PM »

At what loss of contrast (MTF)? Measured in what way: slanted edge or something else? If so, how slanted is the slanted edge? Demosaiced or not? At what channel (color)? Vertical, horizontal resolution, or something else?

DXO used to publish much more "diversified" data. The numbers/curves depended a lot on the color, for example, not to mention on the MTF value.

bchernicoff

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
    • My Photos
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2013, 05:57:46 PM »
At what loss of contrast (MTF)? Measured in what way: slanted edge or something else? If so, how slanted is the slanted edge? Demosaiced or not? At what channel (color)? Vertical, horizontal resolution, or something else?

DXO used to publish much more "diversified" data. The numbers/curves depended a lot on the color, for example, not to mention on the MTF value.

I think MTF 50 is fairly standard. As to what color channel, the final demosaiced RGB image of a black and white subject is fine. Color artifacts from demosaicing affects contrast, so that is taken into account.

I think you are WAY over thinking what I was asking. I will rephrase. "Asking semi-rhetorically, I wonder what megapixel class of bayer filter camera this new camera will compare to in terms of line pairs per millimeter at MTF 50. 30-ish? 40-ish? 50-ish?"
6D, Fuji X-T1, X-E1
Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 400mm f/2.8L II, 100mm L IS Macro, Sigma 85mm, & 35mm f/1.4's, Rokinon 14mm f/2.8,
Fuji 23mm 1.4, 35mm 1.4, 56mm 1.2, 14mm 2.8, 18-55, 55-200

unfocused

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2013, 06:05:11 PM »
This is fun to speculate about, but honestly, if past performance is any indicator of future accuracy, I wouldn't be putting any money on predictions from Northlight Images.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2013, 06:05:11 PM »

Lawliet

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2013, 06:16:23 PM »
I wonder what megapixel class of bayer filter camera this new camera will compare to in terms of line pairs per millimeter at MTF 50. 30-ish? 40-ish? 50-ish?"
For "close enough" something in the D800-Range, about 35MP or so would give you a stable and close approximation. For an accurate solution your looking more in the PhaseOne IQ bracket.

Pi

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Math and Photography
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2013, 06:24:54 PM »

I think MTF 50 is fairly standard. As to what color channel, the final demosaiced RGB image of a black and white subject is fine. Color artifacts from demosaicing affects contrast, so that is taken into account.

I think you are WAY over thinking what I was asking. I will rephrase. "Asking semi-rhetorically, I wonder what megapixel class of bayer filter camera this new camera will compare to in terms of line pairs per millimeter at MTF 50. 30-ish? 40-ish? 50-ish?"

Until recently, DXO considered MTF 10 to be "the standard", measured on the G channel, at 5 degrees slope, not demosaiced. So you see that their definition of what was standard differed a lot from yours. As a result, there was very clear jump in resolution, from, say 12m to 15mp, then to 18mp, same lens. Then they decided to change the metric. Now, a 36mp sensor does not look that different from a 21/22mp one. The new (secret) metric seems to emphasize more higher MTF values, and might react differently to, say, aliasing; or the angle.

I am afraid that you are the one oversimplifying it.  :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2013, 06:24:54 PM »