September 02, 2014, 11:58:20 PM

Author Topic: The Lumia 1020...final death blow to the Point and Shoot?  (Read 9707 times)

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Re: The Lumia 1020...final death blow to the Point and Shoot?
« Reply #45 on: July 17, 2013, 05:17:59 PM »
Actually they are all sort of bad.

That's a bold statement.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: July 17, 2013, 05:17:59 PM »

jrista

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #46 on: July 17, 2013, 05:39:57 PM »
Actually they are all sort of bad. It's a shame stuff like AmigaOS and such are forgotten and stuff like Windows hangs around.

Anyway, the above list is sort of accurate, but they also never did anything as radically silly as trying to think that a tablet interface is ideal for desktop usage. Like we really want to smear greasy fingers all over photo-editing monitors or hold arms up and lean up to reach 24-36" monitors (or worse if you hook it to an HDTV too).

I'm curious if the assumption, that you MUST use touch to use the start screen, is a common one. The start screen is not inherently touch only. You can use Windows 8 without touch, and it works just fine. There is no reason to touch a screen in order to be capable of using the new start screen. If that is what most people think, then I guess it is no wonder that people aren't buying Windows 8.

I'd also point out that it works even better on an HDTV. I have Win8.1 on my Media PC, attached to a 46" Samsung. I use the standard Media PC remote to control it, along with a companion Logitech T650 touchpad for supporting any of the gestures (which, I'd add, is fully compatible with any desktop, allowing you to take advantage of the touch interaction without needing to ever touch a screen, if that kind of think irks you.)
My Photography
Current Gear: Canon 5D III | Canon 7D | Canon EF 600mm f/4 L IS II | EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS | EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L | EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro | 50mm f/1.4
New Gear List: SBIG STT-8300M | Canon EF 300mm f/2.8 L II

magic koala

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 17, 2013, 05:46:39 PM »
I actually like my HTC Windows Phone. The interface is consistent and simple and it is much easier to use than an Android phone (try giving an Android phone to somebody 60+ and over, I feel the Android phones are more for the tech-customizable-oriented people). I like the simplicity of iPhones as well but I think the Windows phones are quite easy to use. My HTC phone is also a lot thinner, lighter than the iPhone, and the LCD is fantastic. Battery life, admittedly, is so-so but I've just learned to have a lot of USB chargers laying around. Also their speech recognition still needs some work (as compared to Android - man, it is good).

As far as the camera capabilities, I think most people will admit that iPhone cameras can produce very good pics and even the camera in my HTC phone can produce great colors and picture quality - good enough for me to point on a monitor and ask people which one was taken by a DSLR and which one by phone (obviously we're talking outdoor pics). Sometimes I even use my phone as a lighting source when I want to take pics inside a dimly lit place. I just turn on the flashlight app, get a white paper napkin for diffusion and there you go.

I've always wondered why we don't have phones with the thickness of a Canon S95 and a proper zoom lens. I'd put that in a small case on my belt. It'd just be a multi-purpose device. Sorta like a p&s but you can have it upgraded to be a phone - linked to your regular cellular carrier.

Not sure why we would pick one brand over another - most cellphone makers wouldn't be in biz if they didn't perform to a minimum. Most of us switch cellphones as often as 6 months to one year so I just pick the model that has the right OS, price point and features.

Speech recognition in Windows Phone 8 is phenomenal. It isn't as interactive as Siri, but it is flawless, and even works in noisy environments now. If you haven't tried it, its worth messing with a Windows Phone 8 device in a store somewhere...the voice control, voice texting, etc. is pretty nice.

I do like the speech recognition but it could be better. For example, I was in the post office with two friends - one with Android and one with iPhone. I had the windows phone. My friend was getting stamps for xmas cards so for fun, we all pulled out our phones and asked our phones: how much is xmas card postage? The android and iphone responded with some dollar value: 40 or 50 cents or something like that. My phoen's answer: Kardashian.

But for the most part, it does work very well.

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 18, 2013, 10:42:25 AM »
Actually they are all sort of bad. It's a shame stuff like AmigaOS and such are forgotten and stuff like Windows hangs around.

Anyway, the above list is sort of accurate, but they also never did anything as radically silly as trying to think that a tablet interface is ideal for desktop usage. Like we really want to smear greasy fingers all over photo-editing monitors or hold arms up and lean up to reach 24-36" monitors (or worse if you hook it to an HDTV too).

I'm curious if the assumption, that you MUST use touch to use the start screen, is a common one. The start screen is not inherently touch only. You can use Windows 8 without touch, and it works just fine. There is no reason to touch a screen in order to be capable of using the new start screen. If that is what most people think, then I guess it is no wonder that people aren't buying Windows 8.

I'd also point out that it works even better on an HDTV. I have Win8.1 on my Media PC, attached to a 46" Samsung. I use the standard Media PC remote to control it, along with a companion Logitech T650 touchpad for supporting any of the gestures (which, I'd add, is fully compatible with any desktop, allowing you to take advantage of the touch interaction without needing to ever touch a screen, if that kind of think irks you.)

I think the gripe is, like with my other statements....that they didn't keep touch on TOUCH products (phones, tablets, etc)....they tried forcing the same paradigm on real computers too, ones people use a mouse and keyboard with, especially for work/business where a tablet isn't going to cut it.

Metro should have a 100% on/off switch setting for desktops and laptops that don't have or need touch...THAT alone would have made Win8 more successful.

I'm glad you like it...I do computer work for a living (contract consultant specializing in Oracle database admin), and I can tell you anecdotally (sp?) from anyone I work with in the industry, not a single one likes Win8, and if they have purchased a new computer lately that came with Win8, they quickly either put Win7 or Linux on it.

Some have played with it on tablets, and some say its ok, I don't see much enthusiasm for it one way or the other.

But in business, which *is* the majority of MS's business, you're not going to see much further adoption past the Win7 version, until they can fully divorce metro from the workspace....at a minumum, the cost of retraining people for this adds a lot to the bottom line (the reason why Linux is in the server room, and not the desktop for many businesses).  It just doesn't fit into the business world of workers....especially if the business is hard core IT.

LOL..hell, many in the business world still don't like the ribbon interface (self included), and that has been out for awhile....but it works.

:)

But, that's another thread...   ;)

C

jrista

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #49 on: July 18, 2013, 10:52:23 AM »

I think the gripe is, like with my other statements....that they didn't keep touch on TOUCH products (phones, tablets, etc)....they tried forcing the same paradigm on real computers too, ones people use a mouse and keyboard with, especially for work/business where a tablet isn't going to cut it.

Metro should have a 100% on/off switch setting for desktops and laptops that don't have or need touch...THAT alone would have made Win8 more successful.

I'm glad you like it...I do computer work for a living (contract consultant specializing in Oracle database admin), and I can tell you anecdotally (sp?) from anyone I work with in the industry, not a single one likes Win8, and if they have purchased a new computer lately that came with Win8, they quickly either put Win7 or Linux on it.

Some have played with it on tablets, and some say its ok, I don't see much enthusiasm for it one way or the other.

But in business, which *is* the majority of MS's business, you're not going to see much further adoption past the Win7 version, until they can fully divorce metro from the workspace....at a minumum, the cost of retraining people for this adds a lot to the bottom line (the reason why Linux is in the server room, and not the desktop for many businesses).  It just doesn't fit into the business world of workers....especially if the business is hard core IT.

LOL..hell, many in the business world still don't like the ribbon interface (self included), and that has been out for awhile....but it works.

But, that's another thread...   ;)

C

Well, just a note...I am in the same industry. I design software architecture and develop enterprise level software. In my experience, a blanket statement that "not a single one" is unrealistic. I know a lot of people who moved to Windows 8 the day it was available at a company of over 40,000 people. I also know some people who reverted to Windows 7. Some of them stuck with Win7, some ended upgrading again to Win8.1. The rest, well, they just stick with their iPad. ;)

I also think the notion that much "training" is really needed is grasping at straws. The company I work for now has already started rolling out Win8. Our customers companies are shifting quickly to Win8 as well, the majority from WinXP (skipping right past Win7). Assuming one never uses a metro app, Windows 8 is little different than any prior version of Windows since 95. The only real "training" that needs to be done is on the new start screen...and it really only takes the average person about five minutes to figure that one out. See a tile, click a tile. (Oh, sorry, it only really takes about 2 seconds!)

There are also additional enterprise features in Windows 8.1 that allow it to be just as fully controlled as any other version of windows by a central admin team. Hell, for certain kinds of use cases, it is possible to lock down a single metro app in "kiosk" mode...which could be useful to maintain a certain app for say reception, a different one for sales, a third for customer support, etc. Give it a couple more minor versions, and I see plenty of enterprise-ready functionality filtering into Windows 8. Again, this is the first release. Microsoft hasn't moved away from their flip-flop yet, so I suspect companies are still waiting for Windows 9 before they upgrade from Windows 7....regardless of the facts.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 11:57:58 AM by jrista »
My Photography
Current Gear: Canon 5D III | Canon 7D | Canon EF 600mm f/4 L IS II | EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS | EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L | EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro | 50mm f/1.4
New Gear List: SBIG STT-8300M | Canon EF 300mm f/2.8 L II

northbyten

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 29, 2013, 04:05:23 AM »
Windows 8.1 is better than Win 8 and I wish people could use it just to see that it's a far better product.

WP8 works perfectly for me and it's your choice whether you like WP8 or not, no need to push your opinion on others.

danski0224

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • Some of my Work in Progress
« Reply #51 on: July 29, 2013, 06:52:28 AM »
I would really like to get the Lumia 1020, but in the USA the only carrier option right now is AT&T.

No thanks. Not really a smart move on Nokia's part if they want to sell devices.

I haven't really dug deeply into getting an unlocked version, but so far I haven't found anything definitive that indicates that all features on a US spec unlocked phone (especially LTE) would work on T-Mobile.

I have not been impressed with the iPhones.

The latest top Android offerings from HTC and Samsung both seem to have their issues.

The last new release handset I purchased, the HTC Amaze, burned me with poor bluetooth performance. T-Mobile never corrected the problem and I eventually had to get rid of the phone. I really liked the camera on that phone.

I've been using a Sensation for almost 2 years and right now I'm considering Cyanogen now that there is a stable release and all features work.

I tried Windows phones in the past and still own a HD2, but the MS support there was lacking.

T-Mobile has eliminated the "subsidized" phone pricing so you pay full retail for a new phone. Granted, it is over time and the plan pricing reduction seems to work out to be the same. Even so, these current model smartphones clock in at ~$500 a pop, plus ~$100 a month to use. It's getting to be a bit much and I wish they were more durable.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 07:12:56 AM by danski0224 »
Some of my Work in Progress..... www.dftimages.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: July 29, 2013, 06:52:28 AM »

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 29, 2013, 11:23:11 AM »
...... no need to push your opinion on others.

Isn't that kind of a necessary part of having a conversation?

If no opinions are "pushed"....this forum is gonna get mighty quiet.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #52 on: July 29, 2013, 11:23:11 AM »