October 23, 2014, 02:20:24 AM

Author Topic: ...and now Smugmug.  (Read 22323 times)

Kevin B

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
Re: ...and now Smugmug.
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2013, 01:51:36 PM »
I'm hopeful it will all be positive but I'll reserve judgment until it's unveiled.  I'm going to be VERY disappointed if they haven't added the ability to have more depth in galleries (currently you are limited to 3 deep).  It is a highly requested feature that has been on their to-do list for years and they've said they are working on it.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2013, 01:51:36 PM »

JPAZ

• Canon 7D MK II
  • If only I knew what I was doing.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2013, 01:53:22 PM »
Surprised no SM users have even acknowledged mbonocore posts?

Imaging if Canon engaged like that!

I suspect the reason that nobody acknowledged those posts is tha that is the type of thing we all are "used to" with Smugmug.  I, for one, have been very pleased with their site and service.  Unless something dramatically changes for eh worse, I will continue to use them.  Let's wait and see.  It is not the first time they have revamped things.

JP
5d Mkiii; Eos-M; too many lenses; 430 EXii and a whole lot of stuff

brett b

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2013, 02:24:40 AM »
I'm a little pissed. I've had a SmugMug Pro account for a few years and I haven't received and email regarding the update.
I have a customized site and recently gave my customizer a down payment to refresh my site. I've been too busy to add the galleries necessary to accomplish what I've asked him to do. But now I'll wait to see if this is going to have a negative impact.
It better be a positive roll out. They doubled the annual cost of a Pro account this year.

mbonocore

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Michael Bonocore Photography
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2013, 06:15:58 AM »
A bit off topic perhaps, but if you were compelled to jump ship at this point, which service would you choose?  I am considering a service now and don't know which one or even how to choose.  I don't know what a reasonable price to pay, or what features to look for- thoughts?

Would you stay with Smugmug and why?

Thank you.

sek

Well you know my answer to that! But yes, you are correct when you state "I don't even know how to choose". It's a tough question to analyze and determine an answer from. But I am more than happy to answer the question "What can SmugMug do for me?"

What are your primary goals when looking for a service? Mainly as a cloud photo backup? A place to sell prints and digital downloads? A place to make a great looking front facing websites for your clients to browse and be impressed? All of the above?

Tell me a little bit about your photography, your photography business, and what you hope to accomplish in the coming months and I would be more than happy to help you understand how SmugMug can help you.

Thanks!

Michael
Community Manager At SmugMug.

Avid photographer...never without my Canon 5D Mark III

mbonocore

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2013, 06:18:48 AM »
I don't come close to using all the capabilities of my SmugMug account but I have been very pleased with the service for several years now.  I doubt that any changes they make will have a major effect on me since I am such a low level user.  I will say that I have never had a company give me any better customer service.  When I started the account I had some minor issues, all my fault, and their Support Heroes live up to their name with quick responses to issues and solutions anyone can understand.  I don't need their service very badly, it is mainly off-site storage for me, but plan on keeping it as long as I can.

Thanks Old Sarge! Speaking from inside of SmugMug, I can tell you our Support Heroes don't put on a show. They REALLY care about you, your photography, and your satisfaction. They also LOVE their jobs, and are excited for the future. It's easy to make your customers happy when you are happy.

Michael

mbonocore

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2013, 06:20:36 AM »
thus far, smugmug has been an excellent place for me to post my pictures and work with customers. smugmug folks are incredibly professional and super helpful. i like the customizability of the site and hope that the changes are gonna b ok. up to this point, i feel that i can trust the smugmug folks to make decisions that are good for photographers and the way in which they might like to present and market their products. i sure hope that the changes are ones that give me the flexibility to do the things that i want to do. in all sincerity, i thought that the changes MS made to the Win 8 interface were terrible considering the way that i like to work at my computer. as a result, i just go to the new start screen with all of the tiles and click on Desktop to get back to what works best for me. i hope that smugmug doesn't force things on me that i don't want and don't like.

Thanks for the kind words! We appreciate that you trust us not only with your valuable photos, but to make the right decisions that we feel will benefit our valued customers.

Michael

mbonocore

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2013, 06:23:36 AM »

Thanks Zim :)

They call me the "Social Butterfly" here at SmugMug HQ. I LOVE to talk to photographers about everything photography. From how to take beautiful landscape, to how to make a couple bucks in this crazy business. Photography is my life.

And Canon does have an excellent CPS. I have used it way too many times, unfortunately :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2013, 06:23:36 AM »

mbonocore

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2013, 06:24:41 AM »
SMUGMUG ROCKS !!!!!

I have used SmugMug for years and could not be happier.  I wish every supplier I have ever dealt with was half as good.

Keep on trucking, SmugMug.

Thanks Harv! We are indeed trucking. I have been sleeping in my office for almost a month strait (No Joke...I have quite the comfortable sofa bed in here)

mbonocore

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2013, 06:26:33 AM »
Smugmug is such an awesome company to work with, but so was Adobe. Now I strongly dislike Adobe. I hope and assume that Smugmug will keep their ethicality about them, otherwise I'm out.

While they're shaking things up, if they choose to allow portfolio users to give coupons to their shopping guests, that would be okay too.

Cheers,
-Tabor

We always put our customers first. ALWAYS. Baldy (the President) still calls customers at random to check in and see how their support service is, and to get their feedback on the product.

mbonocore

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2013, 06:27:51 AM »
I don't have a concern, I received the e-mail as well.  Its time for a update to Smugmug, and I expect it to be a positive one.

Most likely we will see video support, that's a big area they are missing out on, more and more photographers are producing videos.  Even though I don't produce many videos, It would be nice to have the feature, and to be able to embed links to the few clips I do make.

Thanks! I think you will be very happy with the update.

Can you tell me a little more about your needs for video? We do currently support video uploads, and have for years. Maybe I can help get you started using video to your needs?

mbonocore

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2013, 06:29:10 AM »
I'm hopeful it will all be positive but I'll reserve judgment until it's unveiled.  I'm going to be VERY disappointed if they haven't added the ability to have more depth in galleries (currently you are limited to 3 deep).  It is a highly requested feature that has been on their to-do list for years and they've said they are working on it.

Thanks for your feedback Kevin! Please make sure to tune in on Tuesday!

mbonocore

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2013, 06:30:55 AM »

I suspect the reason that nobody acknowledged those posts is tha that is the type of thing we all are "used to" with Smugmug.  I, for one, have been very pleased with their site and service.  Unless something dramatically changes for eh worse, I will continue to use them.  Let's wait and see.  It is not the first time they have revamped things.

JP

Sweet! Thanks! We like to make sure we hear from all of our valued customers, whenever possible. Why should they have to come to us, when we can go out and find them to ask them how they are doing?

mbonocore

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2013, 06:32:21 AM »
I'm a little pissed. I've had a SmugMug Pro account for a few years and I haven't received and email regarding the update.
I have a customized site and recently gave my customizer a down payment to refresh my site. I've been too busy to add the galleries necessary to accomplish what I've asked him to do. But now I'll wait to see if this is going to have a negative impact.
It better be a positive roll out. They doubled the annual cost of a Pro account this year.

Hi Brett,

We did send the email to every current customer in our system. Can you shoot me your email address in a PM and I can check to make sure we have the correct one? Also, maybe check in the SPAM folder?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2013, 06:32:21 AM »

mbonocore

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2013, 06:35:29 AM »
Ok, I think I have responded to everyone. Whew! Almost time for bed. 3:30AM here in California.

I will leave for the night with a post from our president Chris MacAskill on our own photography forum. He had heard people were worried about customization, and this is what he had to say.

"Sorry, in the crush of things I haven't been able to wade into the forums, but Bonocore tells me people are legitimately concerned about us blowing away their customizations when we go live.

Somewhere in this thread and in the customization forum I've said that I understand the concern because SquareSpace six green-fielded their users and made them start over and Flickr just sprung the new design on their customers. But we're not doing either of those. It's been a whole lot more engineering and we could have shipped a year ago if we made SquareSpace and Flickr's decisions, but we didn't. You'll get a preview button and lots of time to play before you make changes that your customers will see, and we're preserving things like photos, stats, comments, sales reports, etc.

We all know how forums are and those answers get buried fast so please someone who reads this answer the next time the questions come up, because we're working all hours in prep for Tuesday."

ckwaller

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2013, 07:31:42 AM »
Ok, I think I have responded to everyone. Whew! Almost time for bed. 3:30AM here in California.

I will leave for the night with a post from our president Chris MacAskill on our own photography forum. He had heard people were worried about customization, and this is what he had to say.

"Sorry, in the crush of things I haven't been able to wade into the forums, but Bonocore tells me people are legitimately concerned about us blowing away their customizations when we go live.

Somewhere in this thread and in the customization forum I've said that I understand the concern because SquareSpace six green-fielded their users and made them start over and Flickr just sprung the new design on their customers. But we're not doing either of those. It's been a whole lot more engineering and we could have shipped a year ago if we made SquareSpace and Flickr's decisions, but we didn't. You'll get a preview button and lots of time to play before you make changes that your customers will see, and we're preserving things like photos, stats, comments, sales reports, etc.

We all know how forums are and those answers get buried fast so please someone who reads this answer the next time the questions come up, because we're working all hours in prep for Tuesday."

Hi mbonocore,

Although you didn't reply directly to my post (page 1), SmugMug's president did...sort of. In the quote, he mentions that customization won't be harmed. Does this cover all "firsthand" SmugMug customization AND third party customization (i.e. design companies that specialize in creating customized SmugMug templates)? I love SmugMug, but after July 30, I don't want to go to my site and find that the custom template is no longer working.

Thanks!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2013, 07:31:42 AM »