July 29, 2014, 10:29:47 PM

Author Topic: ...and now Smugmug.  (Read 20351 times)

mbonocore

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
    • Michael Bonocore Photography
Re: ...and now Smugmug.
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2013, 07:44:08 AM »
Ok, I think I have responded to everyone. Whew! Almost time for bed. 3:30AM here in California.

I will leave for the night with a post from our president Chris MacAskill on our own photography forum. He had heard people were worried about customization, and this is what he had to say.

"Sorry, in the crush of things I haven't been able to wade into the forums, but Bonocore tells me people are legitimately concerned about us blowing away their customizations when we go live.

Somewhere in this thread and in the customization forum I've said that I understand the concern because SquareSpace six green-fielded their users and made them start over and Flickr just sprung the new design on their customers. But we're not doing either of those. It's been a whole lot more engineering and we could have shipped a year ago if we made SquareSpace and Flickr's decisions, but we didn't. You'll get a preview button and lots of time to play before you make changes that your customers will see, and we're preserving things like photos, stats, comments, sales reports, etc.

We all know how forums are and those answers get buried fast so please someone who reads this answer the next time the questions come up, because we're working all hours in prep for Tuesday."

Hi mbonocore,

Although you didn't reply directly to my post (page 1), SmugMug's president did...sort of. In the quote, he mentions that customization won't be harmed. Does this cover all "firsthand" SmugMug customization AND third party customization (i.e. design companies that specialize in creating customized SmugMug templates)? I love SmugMug, but after July 30, I don't want to go to my site and find that the custom template is no longer working.

Thanks!

Baldy's messages covers any customization, whether by you or a 3rd party.

Thanks for the response!

Michael
Community Manager At SmugMug.

Avid photographer...never without my Canon 5D Mark III

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2013, 07:44:08 AM »

crasher8

« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2013, 07:50:58 AM »
Michael~ I sent you a PM with my info as I also was not contacted thanks!

mbonocore

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2013, 12:43:24 PM »

Thanks! Got your email. I will check into why you haven't received the email. I sincerely apologize! You can view the email on the http://smugmug.cmail1.com/t/ViewEmail/r/C7AB7749702321062540EF23F30FEDED/26C9491FC612B63514399806BE9B4083

BTW cool site, and super cool photography! Love the mechanical abstracts.

crasher8

« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2013, 01:43:41 PM »

Thanks! Got your email. I will check into why you haven't received the email. I sincerely apologize! You can view the email on the http://smugmug.cmail1.com/t/ViewEmail/r/C7AB7749702321062540EF23F30FEDED/26C9491FC612B63514399806BE9B4083

BTW cool site, and super cool photography! Love the mechanical abstracts.

Michael, Thanks so much!

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2013, 02:36:24 PM »
I don't have a concern, I received the e-mail as well.  Its time for a update to Smugmug, and I expect it to be a positive one.

Most likely we will see video support, that's a big area they are missing out on, more and more photographers are producing videos.  Even though I don't produce many videos, It would be nice to have the feature, and to be able to embed links to the few clips I do make.

Thanks! I think you will be very happy with the update.

Can you tell me a little more about your needs for video? We do currently support video uploads, and have for years. Maybe I can help get you started using video to your needs?

I seldom do video, but I'd like to be able to embed a occasional clip in Canon rumors.  I was aware that I could upload videos, I was thinking of something closer to Vimeo. 

I'll do a little testing later.

dstppy

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2013, 03:16:42 PM »
OK I'm sold: it's not blocked at work. Wahoo.
Canon Rumors is presently creating photographer shortages in Middle Earth (all the trolls emigrated here)

Etienne

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • Photography by Steve Brule
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2013, 03:25:02 PM »
I think SmugMug works well if you live and sell your work in the US.

I started a SmugMug Pro a few years ago, and had trouble with the tax bit. Prints took a long time to deliver to Canada as well. The gallery pricing system is confusing to me. I'm sure it's powerful, but you need to spend a lot of time with it to understand how it works because there's a bijillion options.

The ordering interface was confusing to some of my clients. One fellow didn't know about the cropping features, and ended up with prints that were improperly cropped, cutting off parts of the images.

I downgraded to non-pro account, and do my printing and selling outside of SmugMug. Maybe it's much better now, but long shipping times to Canada is odd. B&H ships Purolator and it's rarely more than 3 business days to deliver.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2013, 03:25:02 PM »

mbonocore

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2013, 03:58:52 AM »
I think SmugMug works well if you live and sell your work in the US.

I started a SmugMug Pro a few years ago, and had trouble with the tax bit. Prints took a long time to deliver to Canada as well. The gallery pricing system is confusing to me. I'm sure it's powerful, but you need to spend a lot of time with it to understand how it works because there's a bijillion options.

The ordering interface was confusing to some of my clients. One fellow didn't know about the cropping features, and ended up with prints that were improperly cropped, cutting off parts of the images.

I downgraded to non-pro account, and do my printing and selling outside of SmugMug. Maybe it's much better now, but long shipping times to Canada is odd. B&H ships Purolator and it's rarely more than 3 business days to deliver.

Thanks for your feedback! Were you aware of the proof delay feature, which allows you to "approve" or change an order before it is sent to your customer? It would have allowed you to fix the crops before they went out.

You can read more about it here.

http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/84523

mbonocore

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2013, 03:59:12 AM »

Score!

JohnUSA

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2013, 04:34:08 AM »
I welcome the change as I always thought Smugmug was getting long in the tooth!

mbonocore

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2013, 04:53:57 AM »
I welcome the change as I always thought Smugmug was getting long in the tooth!

Please let me know what you think John!

dstppy

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2013, 04:28:21 PM »

Score!

Only 2 of 6 on a test successfully uploaded. (after a day and a half)

Not really a rousing endorsement.
Canon Rumors is presently creating photographer shortages in Middle Earth (all the trolls emigrated here)

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2013, 04:57:52 PM »
OK, today's the day. It's been "rolled out."

Any comments??
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2013, 04:57:52 PM »

crasher8

« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2013, 05:07:09 PM »
I like 'Shadow' but my text wasn't as crisp as the example. I'll try other styles when I get more time.

JPAZ

• 6D
  • If only I knew what I was doing.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2013, 05:37:17 PM »
Played with the new design a bit.  It is "slicker" but I'll need to devote more time to it before converting over.  Al in all, I think it is going to be better than the old product for me.  I don't sell photos, merely post them for friends to see.
5d Mkiii; Eos-M; too many lenses; 430 EXii and a whole lot of stuff

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2013, 05:37:17 PM »