September 18, 2014, 04:02:06 AM

Author Topic: ...and now Smugmug.  (Read 21446 times)

wsheldon

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • sheldon-photo
Re: ...and now Smugmug.
« Reply #45 on: July 30, 2013, 05:50:19 PM »
OK, today's the day. It's been "rolled out."

Any comments??

Color me skeptical so far. The pre-done themes are very "modern", in the Windows 8 sense (for good or ill depending on your taste), right down to the inscrutable icons barely noticeable on the screen. Not quite mystery-meat navigation, but not real obvious to new visitors either, IMO. I'm also finding it hard to recreate the simple gallery-centric layout I have been using on my "legacy" SmugMug site this past year. In fact, my existing galleries and collections don't seem to be recognized when I enable a gallery "block" - I needed to drag a folders block onto the home page to display them. Probably a semantic change I need to read up on, but it appears I'll have to revisit my photo organization scheme.

I think there's a lot of potential for making a more dramatic-looking website with pre-done themes (the old ones were definitely "dated"), but I'm going to have to completely rethink my approach to the site and that's always a pain. The good news, though, is that they let you try out the new layout tools and themes indefinitely without fully committing (as far as your visitors are concerned), so you can take your time. Once you do switch over, though, it's one way.
Canon 6D & 50D, nice set of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: July 30, 2013, 05:50:19 PM »

dstppy

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 30, 2013, 06:45:53 PM »
4/6 images didn't upload . . . pass.
Canon Rumors is presently creating photographer shortages in Middle Earth (all the trolls emigrated here)

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #47 on: July 30, 2013, 06:49:27 PM »
If anyone goes live with one of the new layouts, I'd appreciate taking a look at it.

Thanks.
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 30, 2013, 07:18:37 PM »
If anyone goes live with one of the new layouts, I'd appreciate taking a look at it.

Thanks.
I spent about 2 hours working with it, and once I'd figured out the controls, I went live with it.

Its a huge improvement in the look, now I need to select better images for my top level folders. (maybe remove that Nikon EM) ;)

http://www.mount-spokane-photography.com/

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 30, 2013, 07:37:48 PM »
Thanks. I like that. Simple and straightforward, emphasis on the pictures.

So on the front page you have categories, and that takes you to galleries, it looks like. And all the pictures/links are the "featured" images from those categories and galleries?

I spent about 2 hours working with it, and once I'd figured out the controls, I went live with it.

Its a huge improvement in the look, now I need to select better images for my top level folders. (maybe remove that Nikon EM) ;)

Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 30, 2013, 10:18:07 PM »
Thanks. I like that. Simple and straightforward, emphasis on the pictures.

So on the front page you have categories, and that takes you to galleries, it looks like. And all the pictures/links are the "featured" images from those categories and galleries?

There are many different ways to setup your home page, its very flexible.  I chose to have images take me to the folders and then to the galleries.  You can go up to 7 deep.
I think there could be tens of thousands of combinations depending on what you like.  You could have one big image as a introduction and the navigation on the second page, for example.

I spent a couple of hours and got the hang of it, the main thing is finding out where they moved the tools.

The drag and drop feature to organize your folders and sub folders is far better than the old method.

Kevin B

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 31, 2013, 07:57:46 PM »
I went live with it and I'm reasonably happy.  Here's a link to my site

http://khb.smugmug.com/

Overall, I'm pretty happy with it.  They made a number of big improvements.  Customization is much easier than the old site.  Their approach to organization is MUCH better.  They now support folder/gallery depths of 5 levels.  I had a few hiccups in the conversion (folders showing up named a little funny: like add -1 at the end, a few empty folders in weird places I had to delete, etc.).

Michael,

There are a couple of features that used to exist that I don't see that I'd like to ask either how to access them or if they can added.

• I see how to put a map on the front page and I see how to put a map on every gallery, but the 'map it' button no longer appears in each gallery where it would pull up the map if the user wanted to see it.
  • I prefer the SmugMug gallery setting but on occasion I want to view a gallery in journal mode.  I used to be able to set up galleries with the SmugMug default and allow users to select the view to get the journal mode.  All I see now is the ability to choose a slide show.  Can the ability for a user to chose the mode be added back?
  • I don't see a visitor view any longer.  I can logout and get that view but it was nice to be able to see they layout when hidden galleries/photos weren't included as visitors see it.
  • I see how to edit the caption and keywords (tools button, edit photo details) but I liked the old style where there was an edit button I could click and immediately edit them on that page not on a pop up menu.  Can this be added as an option?

Thanks.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: July 31, 2013, 07:57:46 PM »

Harv

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • My SmugMug Web Location
Two thumbs up for the new SmugMug
« Reply #52 on: July 31, 2013, 07:59:47 PM »
I was not sure which forum section to start this thread in and if this is the incorrect section, a mod should feel free to move it.  Thanks.

Well, for the last two days I have been playing with the 'new' SmugMug'.  I'm giving it two thumbs up.  It provides a very much up-to-date look.  It's also very much customizable.  I am a basic service user and was impressed by how much I can do to make my site look unique.  So many themes and layouts to choose from and adjust to suit one's taste.  SmugMug, in my opinion, you have hit a home run with this.  A big congrats.

To put it succinctly..... I LOVE IT !!!

I have not yet gone live with the 'new look', but will shortly as I am now a lot more comfortable finding my way around things.

If you are a SmugMug user and have not looked around the new 'digs', I suggest you spend some time with it.  I  don't think you will be disappointed.
Looking at life through a 1D4 and a 5D3 plus lots of red rings.

Harv

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 31, 2013, 08:09:53 PM »
I looked for this thread earlier and couldn't find it.  Duh me.  So, rather than post on this thread (which I have obviously now found) I started another.

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=16199.0

Basically, I'm really liking the new SmugMug and expect to go live with mine within a couple of days.  In my opinion, it looks so much more up-to-date than the legacy version.  It's also a lot more customizable for a basic service user.

Well done, SmugMug.

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 31, 2013, 08:34:55 PM »
In some cases it looks like it can get a bit too flickerish now, but it seems OK if you avoid going too far in that direction. It certainly sounds great that they let you have more levels and such, when I used to use smugmug that was such a drag, so limited on the levels and some tools for organization and doing this and that were such a drag.

Does anyone know if:
1. they allow wide gamut images yet?
2. you can now quickly clone galleries without having to one by one duplicate each photos and then grab each duplicate over?
3. or do stuff like in zenfolio where you can upload a gallery and then re-use any of the photos, maintaining their captions and everything in multiple collections instantly (so you could say upload a master gallery of say all decent photos from a hike and then make a collection that just contains the very best few shots and then maybe another where you give people PW access to full size originals or then re-use some in other collection that is maybe best shots from a certain state or whatnot?)

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 31, 2013, 09:10:15 PM »
Thanks, Michael. Looking at your site I notice something I have to ask about.

The Copyright notice on your pages say "Copyright Smugmug."

The notice on my current site says, "Portions Copyright Smugmug."

Anyone know what's up with that? I haven't read terms of service, and I haven't seen any change in Copyright status.

I went live with it and I'm reasonably happy.  Here's a link to my site

http://khb.smugmug.com/

Overall, I'm pretty happy with it.  They made a number of big improvements.  Customization is much easier than the old site.  Their approach to organization is MUCH better.  They now support folder/gallery depths of 5 levels.  I had a few hiccups in the conversion (folders showing up named a little funny: like add -1 at the end, a few empty folders in weird places I had to delete, etc.).

Michael,

melbournite

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 31, 2013, 11:03:26 PM »
Not sure if anyone has asked this before (I haven't read through the entire thread) but as I understand it, you can upload your photos and allow people to purchase prints at various sizes and Smugmug will print them and send them to your clients while you set the prices and markups.

I live in Australia and have used PhotoBox which is a similar service (correct me if I'm wrong).  The problem with PhotoBox is that it's in the UK and clients have to purchase in Pounds.  I understand that some clients are not totally comfortable with the fact that the prints are coming all the way from the UK and the conversion rate thing.

Where does SmugMug print and deliver from?  Do they offer other currency options for purchasing?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 11:10:09 PM by melbournite »

drob

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 01, 2013, 12:08:55 AM »
Michael,
Biggest complaint I have with the whole upgrade is that as a basic user, the majority of the cool customizable stuff is left out. What's the deal with that? Sure the videos look stellar but if you are stuck in basic-ville, you're hosed. I'm not a flickr user and nor do I want to be...been with Smugmug for for 7 years and it serves as the portal for my parents to view their grandchildren growing up...thought that the upgrade and the coolness might get me a site that looks better than flickr.  Very disappointed. Still have a bit of flickr envy....
Canon 60D, 24-105mm F4, Canon 50mm 1.4, 60mm 2.8, 85mm 1.8, Sigma 30mm 1.4, Samyang 16mm 2.0.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #57 on: August 01, 2013, 12:08:55 AM »

Tabor Warren Photography

• EOS M2
  • I want to go shoot something with a Canon...
    • View Profile
    • Tabor Warren Photography
« Reply #58 on: August 01, 2013, 02:32:40 AM »

Thanks.

Distant Star... and what the heck, everyone else, here's my new page, I still need to upload about seven-ish galleries, but the layout will remain the same.

http://photosbytabor.smugmug.com/

Cheers,
-Tabor
Bodies: 5D mk III x2, 5D mk. II, 7D, & 60D
Lenses: 17-40mm f/4L, 24mm f/1.4L, 35mm f/1.4L, 70-200mm f/2.8L ISII, 85 f/1.2L II, & 100mm f/2.8L
Flashes: 600EX-RT x2 & 430 EX II | To see my work head on over to http://photosbytabor.com

Harv

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 01, 2013, 05:41:17 AM »
Okay, I've now gone live.  Remember that I am a 'Basic Service' user and don't have all the bells and whistles that comes with the higher service levels.  Still, I think it looks far better and I can customize it a lot more than the original.

http://harveyg.smugmug.com/

Still a work in progress.   :D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #59 on: August 01, 2013, 05:41:17 AM »