July 29, 2014, 07:10:37 AM

Author Topic: ...and now Smugmug.  (Read 20339 times)

Harv

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • My SmugMug Web Location
Re: Two thumbs up for the new SmugMug
« Reply #60 on: August 01, 2013, 09:35:25 AM »
I have now gone live.....

http://harveyg.smugmug.com/

Comments or questions are welcome.
Looking at life through a 1D4 and a 5D3 plus lots of red rings.

canon rumors FORUM

Re: Two thumbs up for the new SmugMug
« Reply #60 on: August 01, 2013, 09:35:25 AM »

JPAZ

• 6D
  • If only I knew what I was doing.....
    • View Profile
Re: ...and now Smugmug.
« Reply #61 on: August 01, 2013, 10:49:27 AM »
OK.  I am "converted."  Bear in mind that I am not a professional and merely use the site to share stuff with friends.  I've still got tons of galleries to load.  This is just one thing to add to my list......

I'll live with this a while and gradually change it.

www.jpacker.smugmug.com
5d Mkiii; Eos-M; too many lenses; 430 EXii and a whole lot of stuff

dstppy

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 01, 2013, 10:57:27 AM »
OK.  I am "converted."  Bear in mind that I am not a professional and merely use the site to share stuff with friends.  I've still got tons of galleries to load.  This is just one thing to add to my list......

I'll live with this a while and gradually change it.

www.jpacker.smugmug.com

What are you uploading from? Any "stuck" photos?
Canon Rumors is presently creating photographer shortages in Middle Earth (all the trolls emigrated here)

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #63 on: August 01, 2013, 11:05:47 AM »
Thanks, Tabor.

On my monitor, your head is partially covered as if it's too big to fit the space.

Also, there is no copyright notice at all on your pages. It says only, "Photo Sharing by SmugMug."

Distant Star... and what the heck, everyone else, here's my new page, I still need to upload about seven-ish galleries, but the layout will remain the same.

http://photosbytabor.smugmug.com/

Cheers,
-Tabor
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

JPAZ

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 01, 2013, 11:39:52 AM »

Up until now, I've uploaded directly from Lightroom.  I've had no real issues with the uploads.  The present galleries were already on the legacy Smugmug, so I've yet to upload anything to the new version.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 11:41:25 AM by JPAZ »

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #65 on: August 01, 2013, 11:42:48 AM »
Thanks to the folks who have gone public with their new layouts. I appreciate it.

My first impression is that Smug has some cleanup work to do. I see a lot of sloppy stuff in the layouts -- head that don't fit, icons that bleed over into images and such.

And the wild inconsistency in the Copyright Notices has me concerned. I sent this email to the Copyright folks:

Looking at new layouts other SmugMug customers are using, I do not see consistency in Copyright notices. Some have no notices on pages ("Photo Sharing by SmugMug" and nothing else), others "Copyright 2013 SmugMug, Inc."

On my current (not-converted) pages, it says "Portions Copyright 2013 SmugMug, Inc."

The terms of service I've tried to read don't make it clear to me that I retain copyright of my images, although the notice on my current page seems to bow to that idea.

Has there been a change in the terms? Does such a change become effective with conversion to the new layouts?

I'll post any response I get here!

Thanks again.
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

dstppy

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 01, 2013, 12:17:39 PM »

Up until now, I've uploaded directly from Lightroom.  I've had no real issues with the uploads.  The present galleries were already on the legacy Smugmug, so I've yet to upload anything to the new version.

Hrm.  All I did was sign up for a trial and upload via Lightroom.  (legacy)  Are you using a paid or trial account?
Canon Rumors is presently creating photographer shortages in Middle Earth (all the trolls emigrated here)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #66 on: August 01, 2013, 12:17:39 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 01, 2013, 12:49:51 PM »
Thanks to the folks who have gone public with their new layouts. I appreciate it.

My first impression is that Smug has some cleanup work to do. I see a lot of sloppy stuff in the layouts -- head that don't fit, icons that bleed over into images and such.

And the wild inconsistency in the Copyright Notices has me concerned. I sent this email to the Copyright folks:

Looking at new layouts other SmugMug customers are using, I do not see consistency in Copyright notices. Some have no notices on pages ("Photo Sharing by SmugMug" and nothing else), others "Copyright 2013 SmugMug, Inc."

On my current (not-converted) pages, it says "Portions Copyright 2013 SmugMug, Inc."

The terms of service I've tried to read don't make it clear to me that I retain copyright of my images, although the notice on my current page seems to bow to that idea.

Has there been a change in the terms? Does such a change become effective with conversion to the new layouts?

I'll post any response I get here!

Thanks again.

All that is customized, and most is carried over from what you had before.

For example, the thumbnails can be cropped(heads cut off) or they can show the actual shape of the image with no cropping.  Copyright notices can also be set.

As to copyright:
http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/98098

http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/1230107-new-how-can-i-protect-my-images

JPAZ

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 01, 2013, 01:51:41 PM »

Hrm.  All I did was sign up for a trial and upload via Lightroom.  (legacy)  Are you using a paid or trial account?

Been paid customer for a few years.

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 01, 2013, 02:09:13 PM »
A bit off topic perhaps, but if you were compelled to jump ship at this point, which service would you choose?  I am considering a service now and don't know which one or even how to choose.  I don't know what a reasonable price to pay, or what features to look for- thoughts?

Would you stay with Smugmug and why?

Thank you.

sek

I'm going to need somewhere to save/display my photos and videos soon too..and am interested in hearing the pros/cons of the places out there currently.

I know flickr has fallen out of fashion to a great extent...

C

dstppy

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 01, 2013, 03:01:26 PM »

Been paid customer for a few years.

Hrm.  Coincidence? I'll give it another roll tonight after moving the library.

Halfrack

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 01, 2013, 04:05:51 PM »
I haven't rolled yet, need to spend some time playing with it.  http://www.soundersfcfan.com

There are 2 big issues for me:
- Image size (max 50mb) and type (jpeg)
- Dualing identities (lots of historical data under one profile, but not stuff I want to carry forward into new brand)

Next week I start shooting 50mp at 16bit, so I'm looking at quickly needing solutions.  I'm already needing to chase down a local print shop.
"Me owning a lens shop is kind of like having an alcoholic bar tender." - Roger Cicala

Normalnorm

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 01, 2013, 06:01:05 PM »
I haven't rolled yet, need to spend some time playing with it.  http://www.soundersfcfan.com

There are 2 big issues for me:
- Image size (max 50mb) and type (jpeg)
- Dualing identities (lots of historical data under one profile, but not stuff I want to carry forward into new brand)

Next week I start shooting 50mp at 16bit, so I'm looking at quickly needing solutions.  I'm already needing to chase down a local print shop.

Are you uploading 16 bit TIF files?Is it for archiving? IMO Dropbox or some other service would be better for that. Smugmug is a viewing platform more than a storage service. Also uploading thumping great files is very time consuming.
As for printing, the usual workflow is to convert to an 8bit print file and send it to the print provider of choice. Smugmug's print partners are great but if you need local they will still want an 8bit JPG.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #72 on: August 01, 2013, 06:01:05 PM »

Halfrack

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 02, 2013, 06:08:14 PM »
Are you uploading 16 bit TIF files?Is it for archiving? IMO Dropbox or some other service would be better for that. Smugmug is a viewing platform more than a storage service. Also uploading thumping great files is very time consuming.
As for printing, the usual workflow is to convert to an 8bit print file and send it to the print provider of choice. Smugmug's print partners are great but if you need local they will still want an 8bit JPG.

Nope, while I could upload 16bit TIFF, the file size is too big.  It's not for archiving, but for ordering.  The way I am trying to position the images is strictly at higher quality bigger prints, so it doesn't match with what I want to present as a final product.  I think I'll be limited to working the orders offline.
"Me owning a lens shop is kind of like having an alcoholic bar tender." - Roger Cicala

mbonocore

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
    • Michael Bonocore Photography
« Reply #74 on: August 04, 2013, 07:12:31 AM »
You guys all rock! I had a heck of a week...we had ALOT of migrations, and a ton of signups, so the support to cover was alot. It is finally slowing down, so I can come back and chat with you all! I saw a couple posts with new sites. AWESOME! It's 4am here, and i need a couple hours of shuteye, but I will return tomorrow to answer all your questions and check out your new Smugmug sites. Thanks so much!
Community Manager At SmugMug.

Avid photographer...never without my Canon 5D Mark III

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #74 on: August 04, 2013, 07:12:31 AM »