April 17, 2014, 12:38:25 AM

Author Topic: Just starting Macros - First examples.  (Read 6353 times)

Kernuak

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Avalon Light Photoart
Re: Just starting Macros - First examples.
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2013, 03:48:46 PM »
Thanks for the replies all.
This one came out pretty good yea Ant. Most of them however are out of focus pretty good.
I'm not sure what is happening. Its in focus through the view finder but when I look at the file its not in focus.

The Kenko tube u mean is Kenko Macro Automatic Extension Tube Set DG for Canon EOS on amazon?
I am not familiar with them.

Scott

And yes Mt. I find that a fly will pose as long as you are still haha.

Yup. http://www.amazon.com/Kenko-Macro-Automatic-Extension-Canon/dp/B000U8Y88M

Allows you to get closer to the subject than the min focusing distance of the lens. Eats a bit of light though...

Well done Scott!

Do these Kenko work with my 100L also, and can they be stacked; and if so will it mess with AF and exif data? :)

Yes the Kenko tubes can be stacked, I have used them for both my 100 (non-L) macro and my 135 and there is no reason why they shouldn't work with the L version. AF still works, but I prefer manual focus for macro and often need to use the viewfinder handheld, as there often isn't time to set up a tripod with insects (unless early morning/late evening). Also, EXIF data remains unchanged.
Rather than using focus stacking (handheld not ideal), I often go with the narrow depth of field and creat a more artistic effect, trying to make sure the eyes are in focus.
Canon 5D MkIII, 7D, 300mm L IS f/2.8 and a few other L's

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2013, 03:48:46 PM »

Quasimodo

• 1D Mark IV
  • Easily intrigued :)
    • View Profile
    • 500px.com
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2013, 06:26:53 PM »
Thanks for the replies all.
This one came out pretty good yea Ant. Most of them however are out of focus pretty good.
I'm not sure what is happening. Its in focus through the view finder but when I look at the file its not in focus.

The Kenko tube u mean is Kenko Macro Automatic Extension Tube Set DG for Canon EOS on amazon?
I am not familiar with them.

Scott

And yes Mt. I find that a fly will pose as long as you are still haha.

Yup. http://www.amazon.com/Kenko-Macro-Automatic-Extension-Canon/dp/B000U8Y88M

Allows you to get closer to the subject than the min focusing distance of the lens. Eats a bit of light though...

Well done Scott!

Do these Kenko work with my 100L also, and can they be stacked; and if so will it mess with AF and exif data? :)

Yes the Kenko tubes can be stacked, I have used them for both my 100 (non-L) macro and my 135 and there is no reason why they shouldn't work with the L version. AF still works, but I prefer manual focus for macro and often need to use the viewfinder handheld, as there often isn't time to set up a tripod with insects (unless early morning/late evening). Also, EXIF data remains unchanged.
Rather than using focus stacking (handheld not ideal), I often go with the narrow depth of field and creat a more artistic effect, trying to make sure the eyes are in focus.

5DII w/grip, (1Ds III), 3x600 EX RT, ST-E3
Canon: 8-15L, 16-35L II,  24-105L , 70-200L IS II, (200/2L) 17L TS, 135L, 100L, 2x III TC, 40 F2.8 STM, 50 F1.4. Sigma 35 F1.4 Art, Sigma 85 F1.4, Sigma 150-500.
www.500px.com/gerhard1972

Menace

• 1D Mark IV
  • New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2013, 06:33:14 PM »
Well done - keep practicing and enjoy.

I've owned both the IS and non IS version of the EF100 2.8 - optically they are very similar.

Attached pic was taken with a 5d III + EF100 2.8 hand held with on-camera diffused flash.

Cheers
Wow! You are an insect whisperer! How do they hold so still when you are shooting them?

Hey thanks for that.

Trick is being very still, get a good grip on the camera body and controlled breathing ;)

But for my focus stacking work, my Gitzo tripod is a must.

Cheers
5D III | 6D
50 1.2L | 85 1.2L II | 100 2.8 | 400 2.8L IS II 
24-70 2.8L II | 70-200 2.8L IS II

Mt Spokane Photography

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2013, 09:30:14 PM »
The beauty of the "L" lens is its fast AF and its IS when you want to hand hold your rig.

A really serious Macro Photographer is going to use a tripod, and IS is of little value then. 

I'm a non serious Macro photographer who likes to photograph whatever I see while I'm out walking around.  I'm the type of person the 100L was made for :)

Here are some hand held shots.  Not in the same ball park as serious macro shots, however, I can take good images without a big setup.  My first priority would be getting better lighting, most of these are just ambient light, but the June beetle had a flash on the camera.

On my Raspberry bushes:

Hornet!

Aphids

Baby Robins

10 lined June Beetle

Dick

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2013, 02:36:35 AM »

A really serious Macro Photographer is going to use a tripod, and IS is of little value then. 

I don't really agree with the tripod there. Most bugs move constantly. There is no time for setting up a tripod. In addition bugs move their limbs quite fast and hairs wave in the wind, so a decent shutter speed is often needed anyway.
EOS 5D Mark III + Sigma 35mm DG + L lenses + other stuff

wsgroves

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Muddy Creek Studios
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2013, 07:00:19 PM »
Ok need some technical help.
Took a couple hundred macros today and most of them look like this.
The damn thing is perfectly in focus in my viewfinder, but hardly any of the pix are in focus. I even went up to f11.
I have pix of a still flower thats not in focus. See example.
Makes me so mad because I wasted all that time with hardly anything usable. Not one looks like your nice pix Mt.

What looks like its causing it? I dont really notice back focus. I even tried to focus some manually.
1D Mark II, 5D3, 7D
Please check out my site.
http://muddycreekstudios.4ormat.com/

wsgroves

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Muddy Creek Studios
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2013, 07:03:00 PM »
This one looks horrid 1:1
1D Mark II, 5D3, 7D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2013, 07:03:00 PM »

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2013, 08:53:03 PM »
Ok need some technical help.
Took a couple hundred macros today and most of them look like this.
The damn thing is perfectly in focus in my viewfinder, but hardly any of the pix are in focus. I even went up to f11.
I have pix of a still flower thats not in focus. See example.
Makes me so mad because I wasted all that time with hardly anything usable. Not one looks like your nice pix Mt.

What looks like its causing it? I dont really notice back focus. I even tried to focus some manually.

I don't know what your camera is but if you have AFMA, use it.  I'm using a 500D but didn't have any problem with my nonL 100mm USM.  Also, use at least F9 or smaller aperture, say F11  and so on... to increase DOF.  This is the reason why proper lighting is critical.  Being able to adjust your aperture up to F22, most of the time is required to have at least enough DOF to make your subject in-focus.

Here are some pics taken at F11.

and my favorite:

« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 09:04:39 PM by verysimplejason »

wsgroves

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Muddy Creek Studios
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2013, 08:55:13 PM »
Thanks Jason. I will try even higher f values then. I did take some up to f11.
I used a 7D btw.

Scott
1D Mark II, 5D3, 7D

rpt

• 1D X
  • Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2013, 09:17:43 PM »
I used a 7D btw.

Scott
You can AFMA your 7D.

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2013, 10:30:37 PM »
I used a 7D btw.

Scott

You can AFMA your 7D.

Two more thing I can tell you is to try perfecting your breathing techniques and back-button focus.  I don't know if you already know these but I might as well tell you about it since maintaining focus is much, much harder for macro.  In fact, IS won't help you much if you can't maintain your focus point in an area of your subject, say the eyes.  I found these helpful for hand-held macro since not all the time you can use a tripod.

For breathing techniques, inhale deeply, take focus and click.  The timing difference between your focus and click must be small.  this will help you maintain focus on the area you want to focus on.

As for back-button focusing, it's a lot faster to use it so that your focus-and-click routine is faster.  Again this will help you maintain focus on the area.  One small nudge of your hand and it's out-of-focus that's why a faster focus-and-click is a must.  And lastly, practice, practice, practice.  I hope that helps and forgive me if you already know about all these things.  :)

http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2011/backbutton_af_article.shtml

wsgroves

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Muddy Creek Studios
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2013, 11:21:12 AM »
Thanks Jason. It seems the the margin for error with macros is huge. I am going to have to practice haha.
Is there a tripod you recommend specifically for macro work? Im not sure how you would get one of those big honkers down to a flower's level.

Scott
1D Mark II, 5D3, 7D

wsgroves

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Muddy Creek Studios
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2013, 06:31:15 PM »
Ok I have taken you kind folks' advice and shot with flash on, which seemed to work a lot better. I also shot with more dof as the flash made it easier to handhold.
I have attached some pix from today.
1D Mark II, 5D3, 7D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2013, 06:31:15 PM »

wsgroves

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Muddy Creek Studios
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2013, 06:33:14 PM »
More.

PS don't mine the crops.
1D Mark II, 5D3, 7D

rpt

• 1D X
  • Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2013, 10:21:20 PM »
These look sharp! :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2013, 10:21:20 PM »