April 21, 2014, 07:03:58 AM

Author Topic: Fixed Lens APS-C camera - What would you buy?  (Read 2922 times)

Etienne

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • Photography by Steve Brule
Re: Fixed Lens APS-C camera - What would you buy?
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2013, 11:53:17 AM »
The 90EX does work as a wireless E-TTL master for optically triggered EX guns.  Quite handy for some.  I would rather use my T3i or 7D for wireless flash, but it might be handy function for somebody.

True...and it's a great way to go if you want an optical master for a FF dSLR or an older APS-C that can't trigger with the popup flash.

But for somebody other than me, as I prefer the -RT setup.  :)

I have RT now for my 580, and other generics.

Here's a little anecdote:  I had the infrared ST-E2 when I was using the 5DII. Was photographing a corporate Santa Claus event. All set up, ready to go, with 20 or more people lined up waiting for portraits, and the ST-E2 wouldn't work. This would have been a disaster if I didn't have a back-up plan. I put the 270EX on the camera, and light trigger on the 580 (the generics have built in optical triggers, why not include that canon?), and I was in business. This little flash could save the day sometime too, at little cost for backup.

So now I have three ways for wireless flash: RT (full ettl or manual), optical ettl (or manual), and optical trigger. That is reassuring.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2013, 11:53:17 AM »

sdsr

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2013, 12:09:21 PM »
Before buying the M + 22mm (and being very impressed by how accurate its focus is when you use the zoom thingy on the monitor for small objects) I thought I would never want a camera without a viewfinder and a fixed focal length (I realize it's not fixed on the M, but for me it is for now), especially one that's relatively wide.  But as long as they're fairly inexpensive relative to the price of a lens by itself, it occurs to me - as it has to others - that they're a good alternative to carrying around another lens: if I have to carry another lens around, I might as well carry another camera if it's small enough and save myself the trouble of changing lenses.  (If this M + 22 deal had been available when I bought the Olympus 17mm f/1.8 for my OM-D, I would have bought the M + 22 instead and saved myself $200!)

Two or three would probably suit me in addition to the M + 22 - 50mm equiv. & 70mm equiv, and maybe 24mm equiv for occasional use (more if a small longer lens were feasible).  If just one, I guess 50mm equiv.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2013, 12:09:21 PM »