September 18, 2014, 11:56:59 AM

Author Topic: Macro gear suggestions for 5DIII?  (Read 9595 times)

Jay Khaos

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Macro gear suggestions for 5DIII?
« on: July 24, 2013, 09:00:19 PM »
I have the 5DIII and will probably get the 100mm 2.8L IS, and I'd like to have a hand-held macro setup but not sure the best approach.  I already have two yongnuo speed lights.  I have 4 triggers and a few sync cords so they can be used off-camera...

I've seen those contraptions that look like a ring that attaches to the body, and speedlights can attach and be moved around.  Is that the best route to go?  Is there something else to consider? Any specific brands/products recommended?  A better way of going about it?  Any tips in general?
5DIII | 85mm f1.2L • 70-200mm f2.8L IS II • 50mm f1.8 II

canon rumors FORUM

Macro gear suggestions for 5DIII?
« on: July 24, 2013, 09:00:19 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: Macro gear suggestions for 5DIII?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2013, 09:07:16 PM »
A pair of Wimberley F-2 brackets will give you a lot of flexibility in positioning the flashes.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Jay Khaos

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2013, 09:13:35 PM »
A pair of Wimberley F-2 brackets will give you a lot of flexibility in positioning the flashes.

This looks perfect..
http://www.adorama.com/WIF2.html?gclid=CMeP2MS6ybgCFeRj7AodnE0AvA

It looks like the top part is the screw to attach to the body, and the other end has one cold shoe?  But how can you use a pair of them together?  Is there a female screw end on there that I'm not seeing?

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2013, 09:31:46 PM »
Nope, you've got the ends backwards. The round platform (left side of linked pic) has a 1/4"-20 stud where you'd attach an off-camera cord, trigger, or cold shoe. The other end is a narrow Arca Swiss-type clamp, which attaches to an AS lens plate on a collared lens (meaning you'd need to buy a collar and lens plate for the 100L).  For a non-collared lens, you'd need Wimberley's Perpendicular Plate or a Really Right Stuff MPR-CL attached to an AS-type camera body plate.

Jay Khaos

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2013, 09:36:39 PM »
Nope, you've got the ends backwards. The round platform (left side of linked pic) has a 1/4"-20 stud where you'd attach an off-camera cord, trigger, or cold shoe. The other end is a narrow Arca Swiss-type clamp, which attaches to an AS lens plate on a collared lens (meaning you'd need to buy a collar and lens plate for the 100L).  For a non-collared lens, you'd need Wimberley's Perpendicular Plate or a Really Right Stuff MPR-CL attached to an AS-type camera body plate.

Thanks for all the info.  I do already have a Markins AS-type plate for my camera body, so I'm thinking the perpendicular plate might be cheaper than getting a collar and additional plate for the collar...

crasher8

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2013, 11:01:21 PM »
Kirk focusing rail. Indispensable.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2013, 01:10:23 AM »

OP asked about a handheld macro setup...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2013, 01:10:23 AM »

ahab1372

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2013, 02:25:41 AM »
Yes, but this is canonrumors ;-)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 10:26:05 AM by ahab1372 »

RAKAMRAK

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2013, 03:09:29 AM »
I have the 5DIII and will probably get the 100mm 2.8L IS, and I'd like to have a hand-held macro setup but not sure the best approach.  I already have two yongnuo speed lights.  I have 4 triggers and a few sync cords so they can be used off-camera...

I've seen those contraptions that look like a ring that attaches to the body, and speedlights can attach and be moved around.  Is that the best route to go?  Is there something else to consider? Any specific brands/products recommended?  A better way of going about it?  Any tips in general?

Although probably you have fixed your mind on EF 100mm 2.8L, but since you are going for handheld a little bit of more working distance can never hurt. So have you thought about Sigma 150mm OS 2.8 Macro?

PS: although this might not be a great plus, but I see that Mr. Neuro has said that for the Wimberly  F2 bracket needs a lens with lens collar (which EF 100mm 2.8 L does not have to start with and you need to buy separately). The Sigma 150mm 2.8 OS has that lens collar out of box :)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 03:13:25 AM by RAKAMRAK »
Need to learn a lot more.
My Flickr Page

danski0224

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • Some of my Work in Progress
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2013, 07:22:58 AM »
Although probably you have fixed your mind on EF 100mm 2.8L, but since you are going for handheld a little bit of more working distance can never hurt. So have you thought about Sigma 150mm OS 2.8 Macro?

PS: although this might not be a great plus, but I see that Mr. Neuro has said that for the Wimberly  F2 bracket needs a lens with lens collar (which EF 100mm 2.8 L does not have to start with and you need to buy separately). The Sigma 150mm 2.8 OS has that lens collar out of box :)

I'll second the usefulness of a longer lens.

I picked up a gently used Canon 180mm macro and I find the added working distance to be helpful. Less shadowing for sure when getting in close to fill the frame.

I suppose the only catch may be that different parts of the 5DIII AF system are used because the 180mm is f/3.5 and the 100mm is f/2.8.

The Sigma lens with OS might be nice- one thing I miss comparing the Canon 100 to 180. I may have to rent the Sigma and see how it works.
Some of my Work in Progress..... www.dftimages.com

crasher8

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2013, 07:53:39 AM »

sorry, just showing my Kirk love. (No, I'm not  Yeoman with a bouffant)

crasher8

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2013, 07:54:17 AM »
[/quote]

That was snarky

RAKAMRAK

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2013, 08:03:04 AM »

I'll second the usefulness of a longer lens.

I picked up a gently used Canon 180mm macro and I find the added working distance to be helpful. Less shadowing for sure when getting in close to fill the frame.

I suppose the only catch may be that different parts of the 5DIII AF system are used because the 180mm is f/3.5 and the 100mm is f/2.8.

The Sigma lens with OS might be nice- one thing I miss comparing the Canon 100 to 180. I may have to rent the Sigma and see how it works.

@danski..... first up my confession that I have used neither of the following lenses. But....

Since you mentioned that you miss OS with the 180mm macro, try out the Sigma 180mm f/2.8 OS.... I have only read that Sigma 150mm is very good, however I have not read that much about this 180 f/2.8 OS macro from sigma. I could not find either of them at my local lens rental place. If you have the chance try it to see if it performs as well as the Canon 180mm but with OS.....
Need to learn a lot more.
My Flickr Page

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2013, 08:03:04 AM »

danski0224

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • Some of my Work in Progress
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2013, 08:08:42 AM »
@danski..... first up my confession that I have used neither of the following lenses. But....

Since you mentioned that you miss OS with the 180mm macro, try out the Sigma 180mm f/2.8 OS.... I have only read that Sigma 150mm is very good, however I have not read that much about this 180 f/2.8 OS macro from sigma. I could not find either of them at my local lens rental place. If you have the chance try it to see if it performs as well as the Canon 180mm but with OS.....

The Sigma 180 has some good reviews on Amazon.

I added it to my wish list for now.

Both the Sigma 150 and 180 are available from Lens Rentals. Maybe I'll try the 150 for a different experience.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 08:19:43 AM by danski0224 »
Some of my Work in Progress..... www.dftimages.com

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2013, 08:28:41 AM »
That was snarky

Actually, my comment was the snarky one, sorry!

just showing my Kirk love.

Well, that's ok then...and I didn't even respond with a plug for the RRS rail.

Allow me to remedy that.  ;)  If you'll only use non-collared lenses or collared lenses with non-gripped bodies, the Kirk rail is fine (you can rotate the clamp with a hex key for use with a collared lens).  But the RRS solution for collared lenses includes a raised platform, so a gripped/1-series body on a collared lens will clear the rail.

I suppose the only catch may be that different parts of the 5DIII AF system are used because the 180mm is f/3.5 and the 100mm is f/2.8

Good point.  Obviously, on a tripod one would usually manually focus with 10x Live View anyway.  But the macro lenses take a hit on AF performance spec - despite being an f/2.8 lens, the 100L IS Macro is in Group C, meaning no f/2.8 high-precision cross points are activated, just the f/5.6 crosses in the middle and the f/4 crosses at the sides (and all of the f/5.6 lines, too).  The 180L Macro is actually in Group G, meaning only 33 of the 61 AF points are active at all, and for cross points just the 15 f/5.6 ones in the middle.

One other thing to note about the 100L vs the 180L is that the 180mm lens takes TCs, meaning instead of 1:1 you can get to 1.4:1 or even 2:1.  With the 1.4x TC, it will still AF in Group G.  With the f/8 AF update, I'm not sure if the 180L + 2X will AF using the center point or not.  While it's physically possible to use a Kenko 1.4x TC on the 100L, there are issues with doing so on the 5DIII - it you have AFMA enabled on the camera, the Kenko 1.4x + 100L reportedly causes the 5DIII to lock up (meaning battery removal to reset).

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2013, 08:28:41 AM »