July 29, 2014, 03:33:55 PM

Author Topic: 16GB CF PANIC!  (Read 8351 times)

TBenson

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
Re: 16GB CF PANIC!
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2011, 10:16:40 PM »
SD cards have manual write protection switches. When my card gets full and is removed from the camera I will flip that switch immediately.  I too once lost images to a flaky card-reader while downloading files, so these days I want the cards to be read-only before going anywhere near a computer. (This can also prevent the spread of certain computer viruses if you use a card in multiple PCs).

The original poster uses CF media which do not have write protection switches, but this may be helpful for others reading this thread.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2011, 10:16:40 PM »

unfocused

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2011, 10:58:14 PM »
This unfortunate tale prompted a question in my mind.

I always download my files straight from my 7D to the computer. (No card reader). I just ordered a card reader because it was on sale and I thought, well maybe I should have one available and give that a try.

But, now I am wondering: is there any greater risk of corrupting files when switching between the camera and a card reader? Does anyone know, or have some thoughts on this. I've never had a problem with downloading straight from the camera. Am I just being paranoid?
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

UncleFester

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2011, 04:26:21 AM »
Not if you're using copy/ paste, it doesn't matter.  Someone mentioned this earlier. Copy/ paste leaves the original file on the card afterwards. Programs like Card Utility erases your card - direct from cam or from card reader - after download. That's supposed to be a convenience but apparently it can suck at times.

Whenever a card utility pops up, I quit it and download by copy/paste. Fool proof.

Double click and preview by hand first always.

afrank99

• Power Shot G16
  • 20D+7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2011, 10:14:15 AM »
I usually simply Cut&Paste images from my Sandisk 16GB within windows explorer which will MOVE the images (= copy and delete immediately).
I'm doing this since the good old SmartMedia days (mid-90s) and never had ANY problem with this technique.

ianhar

« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2011, 11:46:48 AM »
Had the same problem earlier this year. It turn out that it wa actually the memory card problem. Conclusion buy expensive memory card reader eg lexar memory card reader or just transfer it straight from your camera using a cable :)

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2011, 02:24:49 PM »
When I last purchased a lexar card, I was given a free copy of Lexars Image Rescue... You can use any card on it and mac friendly.  It's kinda slow and even can recover images after a reformat (even though some may be kinda screwy, but it can work)... 

http://www.lexar.com/products/lexar-image-rescue-4-software?category=429

It's worth a try... at this point anything is better than nothing....
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

Hathaway

« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2011, 02:46:49 PM »
I had a similar experience wedding photos a few years ago.  I used the memory card recovery software at cardrecovery.com and it worked in recovering about 90% of the images.  A few were corrupted, but I got most of them. 

Good luck, I am sure this is extremely stressful. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2011, 02:46:49 PM »

TexPhoto

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2011, 03:01:34 PM »
I use an Application called Photo Rescue.  Has worked every time for me.

meinthai

« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2011, 07:41:26 AM »
Hi All

Thanks for the advice both in recovery and backing up systems.

I'm glad to say I took it to my regular camera shop in Bangkok (I'm in thailand) and for about $15 they recovered all the images.  a couple were corrupted and they all lost their original file names, but that's a small price to pay.  Not sure what software they use, but I got the card back the next day.  They said it can happen with cheap card readers if card are ejected improperly. 

I promptly brought the best card reader they had in the shop, a Kingston product.

Thanks again all

:)

PeterJ

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2011, 08:32:43 AM »
I'm glad to say I took it to my regular camera shop in Bangkok (I'm in thailand) and for about $15 they recovered all the images.
A very reasonable price, glad you got it sorted :)

But, now I am wondering: is there any greater risk of corrupting files when switching between the camera and a card reader? Does anyone know, or have some thoughts on this. I've never had a problem with downloading straight from the camera. Am I just being paranoid?
I work with electronics and my feelings are mixed on this, I'm not sure about CF cards in particular but many connectors I use professionally that look quite robust are only rated for 500 insertion / removals. They're probably using very conservative numbers in their datasheets but still it's not a great number, and CF card pins are tiny, so I'd guess a USB connector is more mechnically robust plus it has a lot less pins to fail.

As for non-mechanical failures your camera could have a bug in the USB stack, hardware or drivers that could cause corruption, but so could a card reader. Personally I download via USB, and if my camera fails can switch to a card reader, but I don't think it's a question with a really clear cut answer and I'm sure plenty of people would argue either way.

victolee

« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2011, 08:50:30 AM »
Well, I think the first and most important thing you should do is STOP taking more photos with the camera and DO NOT write anything back to the CF card. Also a list of good recovery software and guides can be found this site Digital Camera Recovery, Best regards.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2011, 08:50:30 AM »