I was one of the early adopters of the 7D, paying $2300 AUD for it (with Canon spare battery and 16GB CF card, plus warranty). I have not looked back since, though - worth every cent.
When the 7DmkII comes out, if it has following features, I'll happily pay around same price ($2300 AUD) for the body only:
- cleaner sensor (at both low ISO and high ISO)
- improved frame rate - to 10fps
- improved AF (more points, slightly better accuracy, speed is good)
- the new dual pixel live view AF / video AF
- lower banding
- somewhat more DR (if possible)
Above I wrote "when... released" - I realise I could have written "if... released" but I'm hoping it's a when... and soon!
I'm very happy with the 7D, the only real improvement I'd really like to see is the sensor. Otherwise I'll just buy another 7D!