July 25, 2014, 12:22:44 AM

Author Topic: The New Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 DG OS HSM Reviewed  (Read 18418 times)

macroman1

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
Re: The New Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 DG OS HSM Reviewed
« Reply #75 on: October 17, 2013, 12:17:23 AM »
Hi CarlTN, on the 1DX my 120-400 seems a bit soft at the long end. I've noticed that it's sharper up to about 330mm on the 7D and then loses a bit, so a bit hit & miss. That seems to be exacerbated on the 1DX, no idea why. I've never noticed it being particularly slow, but perhaps ii isn't quite perfectly locking on. My new 120-300 is so far giving me a much better keeper rate, including compared to my 300f4L.
I'm not a pro but have had a couple of drivers offer me money for shots of their cars. (Can't retire on that income yet, though!) I started out just going to the classic/historic car meets (love those machines, many of which I watched in their prime) but have branched out to other classes as I've got to enjoy the challenge of tracking cars at speed. Modern tin-tops are also colourful beasts and make good subjects. We've got a circuit 80km away which is ideal for shooting, with banks slightly elevated above the track - no blankety-blank heavy catch fencing getting in the way. I'm off there again this weekend.  :)
Have also shot rallying, which has been my primary passion for the last 30 years - you can get a lot closed to the action and a bit of dust and gravel flying adds to the shot!.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #75 on: October 17, 2013, 12:17:23 AM »

candc

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 20, 2013, 03:33:08 PM »
i have been using the lens for a couple days now. if you are interested in this lens you have to get the dock and will need to spend some time tuning it and then it is really, really good it is super sharp everywhere on the 70d especially wide open at 300 where it counts. the lens is internally zooming and focusing, it suffers from heavy focus breathing. it is 300 at infinity focus but only 230-240 or so at minimum focus. that's why lens testers point out its 280 at the distance they are testing at.

you can set custom af speed, focus limit and is behavior with the dock. i have c1 set to fast af, limited the focus from 10m to infinity and set moderate is. using it like this and ai servo it has no problem focusing and tracking low flying geese in the fog as they pass overhead.

i haven't used it with converters and i am not sure i will. its a really useful range on an aps-c body and there is plenty of room to crop with the 70d if you need to. the 70d is too small for the lens, your fingers pinch between the grip and the lens. it feels good on the 40d so i think it would be really good on the 7d and presumably the 7d2.

you have to be willing to spend some time tuning and fiddling with this lens but then it will give you excellent results. it is heavy, sigma tank construction on this one, there does not appear to be any consideration for weight saving, its around 8 lbs with the collar and hood
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 03:54:24 PM by candc »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #76 on: October 20, 2013, 03:33:08 PM »