November 28, 2014, 12:34:40 PM

Author Topic: An Update on the 75+mp Camera in the Wild  (Read 30305 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
An Update on the 75+mp Camera in the Wild
« on: July 25, 2013, 04:14:38 PM »

It exists, but will it come to market?

We have confirmed that a test camera with around 80mp is definitely in the wild. A few things to note about the camera. It’s apparently in an EOS-1 body and has a larger than 3.2″ LCD on the back. The camera also apparently shoots at a very high frame rate.

What we can’t confirm is if this test mule is actually going to be a consumer product. We imagine there are various sensors currently out there.¬†We’re told via a third party that Canon could announce this new EOS-1 before the end of 2013, however it would not be shipping until 2014.

More to come…

cr

canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

An Update on the 75+mp Camera in the Wild
« on: July 25, 2013, 04:14:38 PM »

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
Re: An Update on the 75+mp Camera in the Wild
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 04:20:11 PM »
Exciting! With a high FPS you say? I wonder how big that buffer is or what they're using for a memory card. 1.8" SATA SSD? mSATA SSD style?
5D mark 2, 5D mark 3, EF 17-40mm f/4L,  EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 85mm f/1.8
Film Cameras: Mamiya RB67, RB-50, RB-180-C, RB-90-C, RB-50, Perkeo I folder, Mamiya Six Folder (Pre-WWII model)
http://www.aaronbaff.com

x-vision

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2013, 04:20:57 PM »
It has to be confirmed whether the reported 80MP figure is real - or whether this is a 40MP sensor with DualPixel technology.

The resolution needed for 8K video is ~39MP.
So, it makes a lot of sense, actually, if Canon is testing an 8K sensor ... which would be 40MP.

This could get lost in translation and be reported as 80MP, though - if DualPixel technology is used.

Honestly, 80MP doesn't make much sense, except for bragging rights.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 04:23:04 PM by x-vision »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2013, 04:21:47 PM »
Sweet.  Time to start saving those pennies, just in case. About 1.2 million of them ought to do the trick.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Sporgon

• 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • View Profile
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2013, 04:23:20 PM »
I don't believe Canon would dream of really putting an 80 mp camera into the market just yet. These companies all drip feed technology to the consumer: I'm sure we'll see something in the resign of 35 - 40 first.

Nikon jumped the consumer grade FF from twelve to thirty six in a bid to grap more market share of that sector.

Didn't work.

rs

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2013, 04:23:38 PM »
I'd have thought a full frame camera with a 'very high frame rate' would be a 1D X replacement. It's a bit early for that, and 75+MP at 12fps or so is a bigger jump in throughput than you'd expect from one generation to the next.

Unless very high frame rate means more than 3 FPS? 4 possibly?

Even it's foveon, the raw file will still contain every single one of those pixels, so were talking about the same amount of data as a 75+MP bayer sensor.
5D II | 24-70 II | 70-200 II | 100L | 40 | Sigma 50/1.4 | 40D | 10-22 | 17-55 | 580 EX II | 1.4x TC II

x-vision

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2013, 04:31:37 PM »
I'd have thought a full frame camera with a 'very high frame rate' would be a 1D X replacement.

To really shine in the video world, such a camera could maybe do 8K video @ 60fps.
This is an extremely high frame rate, given the high resolution.

Doesn't mean that the frame rate for stills will be high.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2013, 04:31:37 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2013, 04:32:03 PM »
Canon has shown signs of wanting to jump their technology.  The new sensor and load of features in the 70D was one hint.  While I'd also be surprised to see the camera, it just might happen.  They want to be able to charge 10K or more for a body that no one else has.

Arkarch

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • Karl Buiter Photography
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2013, 04:56:38 PM »

"SuperCamera - Able to fill entire hard drives with a single burst."

Ok, my i7 w/LSI RAID can handle that :)

Seriously, I really want the high MP for Landscape; and I suppose th Commercial Photographers also want it.  Maybe some wedding guys.  But I am not sure we need the high frame rate.  The Sports guys shooting for SI probably want turn-around time.

I'd be very happy with 70 MP+ at maybe 5 fps.  With the savings I might be able to muster a 1Dx for the sports shoots :)

Landscape ( http://www.buiterphotography.com )
Motorsports ( http://www.buitermotorsports.com )
5DIII, 7D, EF 300/2.8 II IS USM, ZE 21/2.8, ZE 50/2 ZE 100/2, TS-E 24/3.5, EF 70-200 f/2.8 IS USM II, EF 24-105 IS f/4, TC 1.4 III, TC 2.0 III

Atonegro

• Canon AE-1
  • It's not the gear, it's the eye.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2013, 05:06:09 PM »
I don't believe Canon would dream of really putting an 80 mp camera into the market just yet. These companies all drip feed technology to the consumer: I'm sure we'll see something in the resign of 35 - 40 first.

Nikon jumped the consumer grade FF from twelve to thirty six in a bid to grap more market share of that sector.

Didn't work.

It did work !
I am using Canon since 1974, even though back then Minolta was the better choise, I liked the canon lenses more. (and still do)
But now, I had to buy a Nikon, not only for the pixels, but for (there it is again...) the dynamic range.
I am NOT a high iso shooter, I need the dynamic range.

I know what is coming next......
But, with 19 Canon camera's and over 40 Canon lenses, you can not say I am not a Canonfan is it ?
The thing is, it is about  progress, and Canon is OK on the lenses, but NOT on the camera's !
I still have my 1DCS-3C, it cost the same as a middleclass car, but, while it delivers the same images as almost 20 years ago, I am not using it anymore.
Why not ? It is outdated, ancient, it is antique, it is a fossil !!
For the same reason I dont use my 1DS3 not very much anymore, and I won't certainly not buy a 1DX.

So...Are they selling a 70mp camera soon...
Well... I hope they do...and I hope they will have another sensor-technology as well.

And I will be a very happy Canon-user again...
DCS 3c, D2000, 1DS, 1DS2, 1DS3, D800e, D810 and now waiting for the 1DS-X.....or a Nikon D4X...

English is not my native language, I learned  it only a few years ago. If you don't like my spelling, I will be happy to write it in Dutch for you.

Diko

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2013, 05:12:47 PM »
It has to be confirmed whether the reported 80MP figure is real - or whether this is a 40MP sensor with DualPixel technology.

The resolution needed for 8K video is ~39MP.
So, it makes a lot of sense, actually, if Canon is testing an 8K sensor ... which would be 40MP.

This could get lost in translation and be reported as 80MP, though - if DualPixel technology is used.

Honestly, 80MP doesn't make much sense, except for bragging rights.

That's EXACTLY what I also mentioned before.

However aside from DualPixel and VIDEO improvments I still am waiting for a better than average ISO & DR. Alternatives with better results are out there and they are CHEAPER!

Additionally after the built in Wi-Fi &GPS an internal SSD & USB 3.0 are the next features that would would bring a difference and leadership for the years to come.

Sweet.  Time to start saving those pennies, just in case. About 1.2 million of them ought to do the trick.

:D :D :D Oh you naughty Rocket Scientist!

gwflauto

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2013, 05:17:39 PM »
I don't know, if I ever missed the high number of pixels, I am quite content with the 18 to 23 Megapixels. but I shurely would try to get the money ready, if this animal should ever make it to the market. Interesting news!

Atonegro

• Canon AE-1
  • It's not the gear, it's the eye.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2013, 05:28:21 PM »

Seriously, I really want the high MP for Landscape; and I suppose th Commercial Photographers also want it.  Maybe some wedding guys.  But I am not sure we need the high frame rate.  The Sports guys shooting for SI probably want turn-around time.

I'd be very happy with 70 MP+ at maybe 5 fps.  With the savings I might be able to muster a 1Dx for the sports shoots :)

Haha, when I began using photoshop, I bought a really BIG hard-drive...about 1600 megabytes....I did not think I would ever fill this....
DCS 3c, D2000, 1DS, 1DS2, 1DS3, D800e, D810 and now waiting for the 1DS-X.....or a Nikon D4X...

English is not my native language, I learned  it only a few years ago. If you don't like my spelling, I will be happy to write it in Dutch for you.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2013, 05:28:21 PM »

Don Haines

• Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2013, 05:33:36 PM »
Up here in Canada, the penny has been phased out.... I can't save up 1,200,000 of them so I guess I can't get this new camera. Pity, a 75 Megapixel camera would have been great for taking facebook photos.....
The best camera is the one in your hands

Don Haines

• Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2013, 05:39:37 PM »

Haha, when I began using photoshop, I bought a really BIG hard-drive...about 1600 megabytes....I did not think I would ever fill this....

Double HaHa, The first hard drive I bought was $10,000 for a 10Mbyte drive (14 inch platters, rackmount) and I have a couple dozen 4Mbyte compact flash cards...
The best camera is the one in your hands

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2013, 05:39:37 PM »