Excuse my ignorance but how will spot/point AF be possible? Offhand i am thinking that in those situations wouldnt the current AF system be preferable?
Doesn't seem to be a problem for me to be done in live view, it's just how the camera fw evaluates the scene. Plus the 70d could link spot to the af point, something only seen in the 1d series :-)
I think the advantage of the optical viewfinder is...
* you can hold the camera/lens properly w/o fatigue
* since the gadget is near your head, it's much more natural coordination just like "looking" w/o dslr
* you see something at all in bright sunlight
* the perceived ovf frame looks larger than the lcd at 20cm distance
* an ovf doesn't draw battery power
The main advantage of the live view is that you can enhance the display with multiple information, specifically focus peaking, zebras & histogram, this is also something I'd like to see in an evf. Plus the 70d can fast af anywhere, admittedly a very large advantage over say the miniature af point spread like 5d2/6d.