July 23, 2014, 12:06:35 AM

Author Topic: EOS-M Annoyances  (Read 6622 times)

Zv

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Zee-bytes
Re: EOS-M Annoyances
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2013, 11:15:21 AM »
Wish there was a menu item to semi-permanently disable touch shutter.

There have been a couple of times where I left the camera on, slung it over my shoulder, and due to contact with my body or elbow or something, touch shutter was turned on via the button on the touchscreen, and it began taking pictures.

The funny thing is that some of these accidental exposures are interesting - like surprise street photography. Still, I never use touch shutter and I wish I could have it not waste battery/card space.

There is a soft button (touchscreen) on the bottom left. Make sure you press info until you see basic exposure settings and then you'll see it. It looks like a hand and says "off". That lets you toggle touch shutter. Hit info two more times and you wont see any more options. Should be safe to touch now as all it will do is auto focus. You can switch the beep noise off too so you wont hear it when its bouncing about.
5D II | 17-40L | 24-105L | 70-200 f4L IS | 135L | SY 14mm f/2.8 | Sigma 50 f/1.4

EOS M | 22 f/2 | 11-22 IS

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2013, 11:15:21 AM »

Zv

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Zee-bytes
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2013, 11:17:52 AM »
Is there a way to hit a button to "magnify' to view after image has been taken?  It seems like only way is to use the touchscreen and spread with fingers.  On my DSLR, I have the "set" button assigned to magnify the image to check focus, etc.

Why? Touchscreen method is faster and easier.
5D II | 17-40L | 24-105L | 70-200 f4L IS | 135L | SY 14mm f/2.8 | Sigma 50 f/1.4

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2013, 11:55:10 AM »
Is there a way to hit a button to "magnify' to view after image has been taken?  It seems like only way is to use the touchscreen and spread with fingers.  On my DSLR, I have the "set" button assigned to magnify the image to check focus, etc.

Except when I inadvertently swipe to the previous image instead of zooming - that doesn't happen with a button press.  ;)
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2013, 11:56:29 AM »

It'd be nice if there was a button we could set for that. Reason being, if I'm holding the camera one handed, I can still zoom in and move around if I have just the right hand, while otherwise I need to at a minimum either rest it on something, or use both hands. Honestly, it was a bit confusing at first before I realized it supported multi-touch gestures. A case of RTFM really.
5D mark 2, 5D mark 3, EF 17-40mm f/4L,  EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 85mm f/1.8
Film Cameras: Mamiya RB67, RB-50, RB-180-C, RB-90-C, RB-50, Perkeo I folder, Mamiya Six Folder (Pre-WWII model)
http://www.aaronbaff.com

Zv

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Zee-bytes
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2013, 12:06:14 PM »

Except when I inadvertently swipe to the previous image instead of zooming - that doesn't happen with a button press.  ;)

Can u imagine if it was swipe to delete? Now that would be a problem! Btw is your touchscreen set to stantard or sensitive?

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2013, 12:09:23 PM »
Btw is your touchscreen set to stantard or sensitive?

Standard.

Zv

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Zee-bytes
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2013, 12:14:12 PM »

It'd be nice if there was a button we could set for that. Reason being, if I'm holding the camera one handed, I can still zoom in and move around if I have just the right hand, while otherwise I need to at a minimum either rest it on something, or use both hands. Honestly, it was a bit confusing at first before I realized it supported multi-touch gestures. A case of RTFM really.

I knew that function, read about it, wanted it and when I got it .... Forgot all about it and did the same thing! I was like "how do you zoom in??" And then the realization "ah! Touchscreen!"

I think it's just habit. But yeah I think the M isn't really meant to be a "one handed effort" kinda camera like others where you can do all manner of one handed complexities! (My fave is zooming in or out using my middle finger.)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2013, 12:14:12 PM »

Invertalon

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2013, 12:39:07 PM »
My biggest peeve of the EOS-M is the damn touch-shutter button. This option should really be enabled in menu only, not on the main screen. I constantly have to turn it off because it always ends up on, taking random pictures. The only work-around is hitting the info button until no information is displayed on the rear screen. I just use that now to avoid that issue.

That is my only problem, though. All else is great with the camera.

Etienne

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • Photography by Steve Brule
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2013, 02:07:05 PM »
My biggest peeve of the EOS-M is the damn touch-shutter button. This option should really be enabled in menu only, not on the main screen. I constantly have to turn it off because it always ends up on, taking random pictures. The only work-around is hitting the info button until no information is displayed on the rear screen. I just use that now to avoid that issue.

That is my only problem, though. All else is great with the camera.

I like having it on the screen. I find it convenient to quickly turn it off or on

Halfrack

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2013, 02:07:39 PM »
My big gripe is the standoff used on the EF to M adapter - it's too short and you can't swap the adapter on and off the body with a tripod plate attached.

Toss in the issue with there being no normal strap attachment point available, I've got a wrist strap attached to the tripod mount.

The Continuous AF kills batteries - disabling that doubled the shots I got out of a charge.
"Me owning a lens shop is kind of like having an alcoholic bar tender." - Roger Cicala

Etienne

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • Photography by Steve Brule
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2013, 02:11:30 PM »
My big gripe is the standoff used on the EF to M adapter - it's too short and you can't swap the adapter on and off the body with a tripod plate attached.

Toss in the issue with there being no normal strap attachment point available, I've got a wrist strap attached to the tripod mount.

The Continuous AF kills batteries - disabling that doubled the shots I got out of a charge.

I used one of the strap lugs to attach a wrist strap. This leaves the tripod mount free

JPAZ

• 6D
  • If only I knew what I was doing.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2013, 03:28:52 PM »
Can turn off "touch shutter" through menus or right on the screen.  Turn on the camera and hit the info button until the touchscreen is propagated with icons.  you will see touch shutter on the lower left and, by hitting that icon, can turn it on or off.
5d Mkiii; Eos-M; too many lenses; 430 EXii and a whole lot of stuff

DRR

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2013, 04:03:37 PM »
I will try the suggestion for turning off touch shutter - hope that will help.

My only other gripe is that I hate the camera lugs, wish they were either a standard strap like a Rebel.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2013, 04:03:37 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2013, 04:17:29 PM »
Can turn off "touch shutter" through menus or right on the screen.  Turn on the camera and hit the info button until the touchscreen is propagated with icons.  you will see touch shutter on the lower left and, by hitting that icon, can turn it on or off.

I guess the point is that if you like seeing the shooting info and thus have it displayed, and put the M in your pocket or as it hangs from the strap, the touch shutter can be inadvertently turned on, then the M would take picture after picture.

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2013, 04:32:28 PM »

I guess the point is that if you like seeing the shooting info and thus have it displayed, and put the M in your pocket or as it hangs from the strap, the touch shutter can be inadvertently turned on, then the M would take picture after picture.

Like me. I like seeing the shooting info, and have accidentally turned on the touch shutter more than once. Fortunately never put it in my pocket and have it keep firing.
5D mark 2, 5D mark 3, EF 17-40mm f/4L,  EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 85mm f/1.8
Film Cameras: Mamiya RB67, RB-50, RB-180-C, RB-90-C, RB-50, Perkeo I folder, Mamiya Six Folder (Pre-WWII model)
http://www.aaronbaff.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2013, 04:32:28 PM »