August 29, 2014, 04:15:04 PM

Author Topic: Canon Camera Sales Down in Q2, Imaging Revenue Up  (Read 10040 times)

boggy4062

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
Re: Canon Camera Sales Down in Q2, Imaging Revenue Up
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2013, 04:46:15 PM »
Well, the real question is not the phones, but competitors. What happened to the sales of Sony, Fujifilm,Olympus... From what I can tell, mirror-less cameras are selling like hotcakes, and where is Canon or Nikon in that market space?

Nowhere, I dare to say.

Overpriced and/or under-preforming 1-2 units do not make the right impression. Some  professionals are already moving away from DSLR's. NEX-7, X100S, X-Pro 1... are serious making inroads, whether big boys like it or not. I LOVE my second generation NEX-5N from Sony,   Yes, the 7D is still my to-go camera, with its lens and flash light support. However, who knows what Sony or Fujifilm is gonna bring in a year or less. 

And now, with Nokia revealing 41 Megapixel  1020 phone? The news will only get worse, IMHO. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2013, 04:46:15 PM »

lopicma

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
    • Google+ Page
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2013, 05:24:09 PM »
It would be interesting to see other companies numbers or a breakdown on camera types overall...  P&S, DSLR, MFT, Mirror-less... etc.

Sabaki

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2013, 05:30:28 PM »
I'd be interested to know how the higher prices of the new kit has affected Canon's bottom line, especially relating to how foreign markets supplement their profit.

Example: Canon South Africa is a satellite nation for Canon Europe/UK.  If a lens is priced at say £1500, that relates to R25000 in South Africa.

As the Middle East & Africa zone accounts for roughly 35% of Canon Europe's income, could the higher prices be affecting their bottom line?
Canon 500D | 100mmL f/2.8 IS Macro | 24-70mmL f/2.8 mk II | 70-200mmL f/4.0 | 400mmL f/5.6 | 50mm f/1.8 | EF-S 10-22mm | Canon 600 RT |

stewy

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2013, 05:49:57 PM »
Well, I just bought myself a 5D3 which now makes my 2nd DSLR; first was the 40D. My 40D is now my backup camera. Got it on that last eBay deal for ~$2500.

coreyhkh

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2013, 06:17:27 PM »
maybe everyone is waiting for the 7Dmkii
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 09:01:02 PM by coreyhkh »

blacksap

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2013, 09:45:57 PM »
Keep adding no significant upgrades to your cameras and this is what happens canon, the evolution from t4i to t5i is inexistent.

What "significant" upgrades could they add?

It seems like they have done quite a bit.  The AF in the 5DIII was a pretty significant upgrade over that of the 5DII.  The new sensor in the 70D is pretty innovative.

let use what it means pictures wise, innovative AF yes  but how accurate, f-2,8 ?

Works fine for me at 2.8 on the lenses I have.  However (as we should ALL know):  1. the DOF is shorter at 2.8 so issues are more pronounced.  2. The AF is a machine which is not necessarily perfect (and probably should not be expected to be so).

And… lastly, my previous experience was the 5DII over which the 5DIII represents a pretty dramatic improvement (in almost all areas).

What I see in the last few years is that the DSLR has become a commodity product at each level with the two main competitors (Nikon / Canon) struggling to differentiate themselves from one another in any way possible and the third one, Sony is struggling to get their foot in the door.  I don’t think that the market share has shifted too much in the last few years.

I´m sorry I don´t know if I read correctly, but the article says the sales went down on lower end models, I have a 5DMKIII, and I am very pleased, waiting for the 70d, I am talking about consumer level cameras, the T3i,4i,t5i level.

And I do believe that all modern companies keep their products a step down so they have good reasons to release the newer version (except maybe for the GH series on panasonic), but this is part of marketing. 

MLfan3

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2013, 04:09:35 AM »
now let us wait for nikon and sony numbers......

In the past when Canon coughed, it was a sign that the whole industry had a cold.  You will probably see similar results from the others, particularly Sony whose entire consumer electronics business seems to be in the financial “hurt locker” anyway.

actually Sony is almost half bankrupted company and I think it will go bankrupt in a few years unless it decides to quit the A mount.

I am really hoping Sony to wake up soon and concentrate all its imaging R and D money in to the E mount before it's too late, the RX-1 is a temporal hit for them but it won't make any money in the long run.
Full frame NEX is the only thing give them some meaningful success in this game.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2013, 04:09:35 AM »

MLfan3

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2013, 04:13:53 AM »
their sales went down because they dont have anything smart to offer to consumers. 100d, 700d, 60d? same old technology, nothing new. 70d will probably change that, but 2-3 months before it gets to store? absolute bollocks

canon, nikon, sony,.. most profit comes from entry level dslrs.

Everyone I know recently has purchased a Canon entry level camera. A lot particularly like the small-ish size of the 100D, one purchased the 60Da for astrophotography. Not a single one purchased a Nikon or a Sony. The one guy I do know who purchased a Nikon in the last year bought a D800 for his professional portraiture.

I agree that a significant portion of profit generally comes from the higher volume items that sell like hotcakes to the massive consumer sector...however I don't believe that primarily means Canon is not selling entry-level products.

I do believe the economy factors in here. It may seem like we have "recovered", but the fundamental issues that caused financial markets to crash five years ago are still in place. They are just glossed over, hidden, ignored, or otherwise skirted around by any and all parties who have the power to actually change something. Until that underlying fact changes *for real*, I think people are going to keep a tight watch on their pocket books. That doesn't mean people in general (and I don't just mean the US, but in general for any moderately large or larger economy) will stop spending entirely...just that they will continue to be more careful with their purchases.

Just look at the PC market...it used to race...people would upgrade their computers every couple of years. Now? People are content to save $1000, $1500, $2500 and keep using their current PC, and augment it with a tablet or a phone that only costs $400, $600, $800 instead. People on a mass scale won't regularly start buying PCs to replace their existing ones, or buy more expensive cameras, or more expensive lenses, etc. on a regular basis again until the underlying economic force that is subtly telling them to save their money truly changes for the better.

by any means , Nikon is doing it much worse , too many people ditch their Nikon FX to go Canon or Sony last year desite of much over hyped D800 and E,which I still own.

the D800 series had too many real life usability issues and maybe the sensor is great it hasn't helped Nikon in sales.
the D600 has actually helped it but it also had a lot of design flaws, and that forced many many Nikon users(not fans) to see the light.
and some of us added Canons, or Sonys or something else , or just moved away from Nikon because of its terrible QC and some hugely hurting design flaws in the D600 and D800 bodies.

MLfan3

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2013, 04:16:09 AM »
Keep adding no significant upgrades to your cameras and this is what happens canon, the evolution from t4i to t5i is inexistent.

It seems like they have done quite a bit.  The AF in the 5DIII was a pretty significant upgrade over that of the 5DII.  The new sensor in the 70D is pretty innovative.

the 70 D to me is a revolutionary product , rather than an innovative one.

MLfan3

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2013, 04:21:48 AM »

let use what it means pictures wise, innovative AF yes  but how accurate, f-2,8 ?

it is interesting( at least to some) because it is the very very first step to produce a pro level mirrorless system camera, with really usable AF for both still and motion.
I think we will see a 5D class of body uses this tech sooner than we expect , and this tech  simultaneously improves sensor DR and structural design.

c.d.embrey

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2013, 04:50:07 PM »
From what I can tell, mirror-less cameras are selling like hotcakes, and where is Canon or Nikon in that market space?
It all depends on where you live. In SoCal the Sony NEX is easy to buy (Sony Stores), A few camera stores have a few Fuji X, Olympus and Panasonic are special order from most stores.

Here's something Thom Hogan posted a while back: "I've tried to point out that things weren't quite so wonderful in terms of mirrorless camera sales before, and some of you haven't believed me." CIPA shipment numbers for both Mirrorless and DSLRs http://www.sansmirror.com/newsviews/april-2013/mirrorless-shipments-down.html

From what little I've seen is some Pros are switching from DSLRs to mirrorless, but not many consumers. Me. I've taken ALL my SLRs (both film and digital) off of my Business Insurance. I'll be renting cameras by the job, ie what ever is the right tool (Canon 5D3, Nikon D800, Panasonic GH3, MFD). Hopefully someone will release a camera (and lenses) that I want to buy before the year is out.

UrbanVoyeur

• Rebel SL1
  • To see and be seen.
    • View Profile
    • UrbanVoyeur.com
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2013, 05:24:48 PM »
I think Canon is losing sales to competitors with less expensive, higher res, better performing sensors and better equipped camera in both the mirror less and SLR markets.

After more than a year, Canon still does not have a 30+ MP answer to Sony/Nikon. And while sharp, their L lenses are horrendously expensive and losing the innovation race to Sigma and Niko with their upgradeable firmware.

I'm not saying Canon is doomed or anything, but they are slipping.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2013, 06:43:45 PM »
I'm not saying Canon is doomed or anything, but they are slipping.

Doesn the dSLR market share breakdown support that assertion?
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2013, 06:43:45 PM »

gmrza

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2013, 07:18:30 PM »

Just look at the PC market...it used to race...people would upgrade their computers every couple of years. Now? People are content to save $1000, $1500, $2500 and keep using their current PC, and augment it with a tablet or a phone that only costs $400, $600, $800 instead. People on a mass scale won't regularly start buying PCs to replace their existing ones, or buy more expensive cameras, or more expensive lenses, etc. on a regular basis again until the underlying economic force that is subtly telling them to save their money truly changes for the better.

I think there is also an element of technology maturing - as you put it.  The last time I bought a compact camera was 4 years ago (a G11).  The G15 hasn't seen a huge increase in performance over the G11.  The main reason I now have to replace my current compact is that it is wearing out, not that there is something that much astoundingly better than it.

For landscapes, I tend to reach for the 5DII - it's just as good as the 5DIII for that kind of purpose.

(FWIW, I am still using a 6 year old notebook for some stuff like email and web browsing...)
Zeiss Ikon Contax II, Sonnar 50mm f/2, Sonnar 135mm f/4

jrista

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2013, 09:27:47 PM »

I think there is also an element of technology maturing - as you put it.  The last time I bought a compact camera was 4 years ago (a G11).  The G15 hasn't seen a huge increase in performance over the G11.  The main reason I now have to replace my current compact is that it is wearing out, not that there is something that much astoundingly better than it.

For landscapes, I tend to reach for the 5DII - it's just as good as the 5DIII for that kind of purpose.

(FWIW, I am still using a 6 year old notebook for some stuff like email and web browsing...)

Aye, there is that, too. Technology still moves on, but in some areas its about as good as it is going to get, with the exception of continued improvements in speed, I imagine.

One would also have to figure that many technology markets become saturated. Millions of people own PCs. At least as many millions of people own compact cameras, if not considerably more. Billions of people own cell phones with cameras. Unless someone finds massive new groups of consumers somewhere, I suspect a lot of existing markets will begin to slow down until something revolutionary is discovered or refined and brought to market (maybe something like lightfield photography).
My Photography
Current Gear: Canon 5D III | Canon 7D | Canon EF 600mm f/4 L IS II | EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS | EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L | EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro | 50mm f/1.4
New Gear List: SBIG STT-8300M | Canon EF 300mm f/2.8 L II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2013, 09:27:47 PM »