July 31, 2014, 07:52:45 PM

Author Topic: Wrecked my 6D today, what a POS  (Read 17059 times)

ontarian

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Wrecked my 6D today, what a POS
« on: July 27, 2013, 04:02:48 PM »
So I got over my initial dislike last year of a few of the corners Canon took with the 6D (like 1/4000 max shutter speed) because the image quality was on par with my 5D3.  Today shooting the Collingwood Ontario Elvis festival in the rain with a EF 400mm 2.8 IS on my 5D3 and a 14mm 2.8 II on my 6D and I was shocked to find that my 6D stopped responding after about 20 minutes in sporadic rain.  I got home, opened things up to inspect and found felt-like material at all the seams rather than the expected rubber material that even my EF-S mount 2009 era 7D has.  I'm sorry, but F$#%K you Canon, for my couple of grand I want you to not skimp out on maybe a dollar's worth of sealing material.  My 6D is now in a bowl of rice in my cranked up to the max infrared sauna, I'll see if my hatred of Canon corner cutting sticks.  No wonder I enjoy developing EOS mount solutions for 60's to mid 80's era Canon manual focus lenses, its before they started sucking like it was a sport.

Edit, a few hours later:

Well, the bowl of rice and a couple of hours in the dry sauna seem to have brought the body back to life thankfully.  I'm thinking that the 6D problems had something to do with the fact that it was hanging mostly from my shoulder with the rear buttons facing the rain where my 5D3 was mostly top up since they look like they should both share the same "weatherproofing" levels.

-Ed Mika
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 05:57:27 PM by ontarian »

canon rumors FORUM

Wrecked my 6D today, what a POS
« on: July 27, 2013, 04:02:48 PM »

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
Re: Wrecked my 6D today, what a POS
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2013, 04:34:03 PM »
I genuinely feel for you and hope everything gets dry and back to 100% usability, but....

I have to tell you, this really reads funny. I couldn't help but laugh. You're not laughing, I know, but believe me, I really am laughing WITH you!

Sincerely, hope all turns out well!
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

paul13walnut5

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2013, 05:01:19 PM »
I hope you get things working again...  but.

The 7D was rated as weatherproof (whatever that actually means).
The 6D is not.

Maybe you shouldn't have cut corners yourself.
Not suggesting you should have had to pay an extra grand for a 5D3 with weather sealing, but $60 on a kata jacket or even $5 on a throwaway rain cover...

My over-riding feeling is empathy, sympathy even, but you can't really blame canon.  You made a bad call, but the punishment seems undue.

ontarian

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2013, 05:14:04 PM »
I agree, I did not double check Canon marketing to see if the weatherproof box was checked, I made an incorrect assumption and now I'm paying for it.  I should have taken my 1D4 as a second body but it didn't look like rain when I left and I didn't want the 1.3 crop factor on either lens for the look I was going for.  I already dislike what Canon is doing with cheapening everything down build-wise (but surprisingly not correspondingly cost-wise) particularly in lenses and this certainly doesn't do much to change my sour opinion.  I normally would not have purchased a bottom end 6D but I pretty much need 1 of everything for my lens conversion development work for interference testing.

The 6D is not.

Not suggesting you should have had to pay an extra grand for a 5D3 with weather sealing, but $60 on a kata jacket or even $5 on a throwaway rain cover...

My over-riding feeling is empathy, sympathy even, but you can't really blame canon.  You made a bad call, but the punishment seems undue.

Sporgon

• 1D X
  • 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • View Profile
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2013, 05:20:52 PM »

The 6D is not.

Not sure that's entirely true. On the spec sheets Canon rate the 6D, 7D and 5DIII all the same as '= to the EOS 1n'.

Of course that camera didn't soley comprise of sophisticated electronics packed into a portable box. I'm wary of this level of proofing: I wouldn't use any of them in rain without protection.

Interesting that the 6D has felt proofing as opposed to the rubber gaskets in the 7D.

brianboru

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2013, 05:30:27 PM »
Don't forget to throw a silica-gel pack in the battery compartment.   

My s95 was inadvertently left out overnight, on the ground and went through storm that dumped an inch of rain in 30 minutes.   It was in a leather case that prevented the rain from directly striking the camera but acted as a big sponge.   I popped the battery and card, dried it off, and put it in a brown paper bag with rice and the silica-gel pack in the battery compartment for two days.  I didn't apply heat as I didn't want to drive moisture further into it - especially the lens.   It seems to have survived, and since it was face down, the lens doesn't seem contaminated. 
7D, EOS M, S95, 40D, S40, 10S, ...
EF 70-200 f4.0 L, EF 17-40 f4.0 L, EF 40mm f2.8, EF 28-135,  Sigma 30mm f1.4 EX, ....

brad-man

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2013, 05:40:09 PM »
I've never opened up the body of either my 7D or my 6D to check internal waterproofing, but they both share the same "foam/rubber" weather sealing on the battery door.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2013, 05:40:09 PM »

ontarian

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2013, 05:46:06 PM »
noobs blaming their own errors on canon.. you have to love it.  ;)

i have shoot with a 550D in rain.. no problem.
what where you doing scuba diving?   ;D

Noob eh?  Yeah, I was going to say something back but I've changed my mind.

photonius

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2013, 05:50:34 PM »

The 6D is not.

6D and 5DIII should be the same according to Canon:

http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/tech/report/2012/10/
"Greater reliability

The EOS 6D passed 100,000 cycles in shutter durability tests. Dust and drip proofing protection around control buttons and along outer cover seams has been upgraded from the EOS 5D Mark II and is equivalent to the protection on the EOS 5D Mark III."

TAF

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2013, 05:51:35 PM »
So I got over my initial dislike last year of a few of the corners Canon took with the 6D (like 1/4000 max shutter speed) because the image quality was on par with my 5D3.  Today shooting the Collingwood Ontario Elvis festival in the rain with a EF 400mm 2.8 IS on my 5D3 and a 14mm 2.8 II on my 6D and I was shocked to find that my 6D stopped responding after about 20 minutes in sporadic rain.  I got home, opened things up to inspect and found felt-like material at all the seams rather than the expected rubber material that even my EF-S mount 2009 era 7D has.  I'm sorry, but F$#%K you Canon, for my couple of grand I want you to not skimp out on maybe a dollar's worth of sealing material.  My 6D is now in a bowl of rice in my cranked up to the max infrared sauna, I'll see if my hatred of Canon corner cutting sticks.  No wonder I enjoy developing EOS mount solutions for 60's to mid 80's era Canon manual focus lenses, its before they started sucking like it was a sport.

-Ed Mika

I definitely sympathize.

If you have access to a bell jar and vacuum pump, such a setup works better than rice.

Perhaps this is an opportunity - get a scrap AE-1 off eBay, and put the Fd mount right on the 6D body.  Develop some way to trip the diaphragm lever, and you'd have the perfect conversion - the one Canon should have provided in the 1980's.

jdramirez

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2013, 06:09:37 PM »

The 6D is not.

I was shooting professionally around July 4th and the forecast called for rain. I was shooting with a bunch of guys and when I put my rain sleeve/condom on my 5D mkiii, I got some cross eyed looks... and they asked... is the mkiii not weather proof... and I explained it was, but I wasn't going to risk water damage when I don't make enough professionally to replace it in a day.  Better safe than sorry.

It didn't rain during the event... and as soon as it was over, down came a sheet of rain that was bucket sized droplets... The mkiii was safe and sound in my condom and I wasn't concerned... so maybe a few dollars to protect your gear when you know it might rain might be well worth the investment... regardless of weather proofing or not.
Upgrade  path.->means the former was sold for the latter.

XS->60D->5d Mkiii:18-55->24-105L:75-300->55-250->70-300->70-200 f4L USM->70-200 f/2.8L USM->70-200 f/2.8L IS Mkii:50 f/1.8->50 f/1.4->100 f/2.8L->85mm f/1.8 USM->135L -> 8mm ->100L

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2013, 06:22:50 PM »

Well yeah true, but like, you're better than us, so, ya know...
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2013, 06:46:26 PM »

Noob eh?  Yeah, I was going to say something back but I've changed my mind.

That's ok, I will.

The OP, Ed Mika, is the guy who makes the excellent adapters to use high-end Canon FD and FL lenses on EOS bodies.  He breathes new life into old superteles and fast primes (55/1.2, for example). 

Karlos, what are your esteemed contributions to photography?  Your 7 posts here, most of them insulting to a lesser or greater degree? Thoroughly unimpressive. Or maybe you have a lot more than 7 posts here, but just as other users who were banned?  If so, get a life, and I expect the mods will catch up to you sooner or later...
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2013, 06:46:26 PM »

ontarian

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2013, 06:52:24 PM »
Thanks for the kind words neuroanatomist.  My EOS adapter solution index has grown quite a bit and includes the following lenses. 

EdMika Adapters July 25 2013 by Ontarian, on Flickr

I think it might even perhaps be time I update the Canonrumors article on the conversions.

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2013, 06:53:40 PM »
If you're right, this is surely the first sighting of a "noob" using a $10,000 lens.

Pretty extraordinary observation -- did you get a picture of it with your 550D?

Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2013, 06:53:40 PM »