September 15, 2014, 12:31:02 AM

Author Topic: My dead 5D Mark III Story  (Read 14333 times)

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
Re: My dead 5D Mark III Story
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2013, 09:42:54 AM »
Something else to think about is that we do not buy cameras at the end of the production line.

Between the factory and our sweaty palms all kinds of things can happen in transit, storage, selling, repackaging, etc. That makes for one vast unknown.

Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2013, 09:42:54 AM »

Dr.Jones

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
    • Victor Jones Photography
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2013, 09:43:18 AM »
I have just posted my story of my dead 5D in another thread. Scary have many dead body threads there is in the top section of topics at Canon Rumors front page right now...

I have a 5D Mark III which is currently in for repair by water damage. Canon has opened up the camera and found several spots where water has damaged multiple parts of the camera.. My problem however is not whether or not water has damaged my camera as canon have already sent me pictures of the internals of my camera.
My problem is that this damage has happened over night where i was sleeping in a tent. The camera was functioning perfect when i went to sleep and not at all when i woke again. Therefor i suspect the camera to be damaged only by moisture and condensation, which i find to be less than satisfying.. Another thing to add is that my 5D Mark II was right next to it and it suffered no malfunctions.

I am very disappointed with this. And of course the bill that followed, which right now I'm refusing to pay...
I live in Denmark, if that is of interest for anyone. In Denmark the price for a 5D mark III is just about 4000$ and the cost of the repair is 2800$... Almost 3/4 of the price of a new one...

So if anyone can provide some help in any way i would be more than thankful. Thank you all in advance!

Oh boy am i disappointed with the durability of my Mark III. Its such a nice camera in every other aspect, really enjoy using it. But worse durability then my Mark II when it comes to sealing? Now I'm afraid of even bringing my camera outside if rain might come later that day...
Canon EOS 5D Mark III + Canon EOS 5D Mark II + Canon Speedlite 600EX-RT *2 + ST-E3 + Canon EF 17-40 f/4L + Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM + Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM + Canon EF 85mm f/1.2 USM II + Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8 IS USM II

Dr.Jones

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
    • Victor Jones Photography
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2013, 09:52:03 AM »
Condensation is likely. Not sweat.

No one ever said 5D III is a pro level camera.. It's not even close to pro level! yeah pros use it but its built far from level of the 1D Cameras in terms of ruggedness, built quality, weather sealing, reliability.. Go 1D series!

Just FYI Canon USA has listed the 5D Mark III in their professionals section, even the 60D is listed there:
http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/professional/products/professional_cameras/digital_slr_cameras

And for my own country, Denmark, the Mark III is listed in the pro section alongside 1DX and 1DC
http://www.canon.dk/For_Home/Product_Finder/Cameras/Digital_SLR/professional/index.aspx

So i bet there is a reason why someone might have slipped it upon their lips that the 5D Mark III was a pro grade camera ;-)

Canon EOS 5D Mark III + Canon EOS 5D Mark II + Canon Speedlite 600EX-RT *2 + ST-E3 + Canon EF 17-40 f/4L + Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM + Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM + Canon EF 85mm f/1.2 USM II + Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8 IS USM II

candyman

• 1D X
  • The best critic sits in front of the camera
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2013, 10:15:03 AM »
I can not believe the 5D MK III is so sensitive to condensation. I did not yet have the opportunity to take my 5D MKIII to the middle east. But, I took my 7D many times there. I went from cold places (due to airconditioning) to outdoor (35 to 40 degree celcius) many times. That includes from cars, houses and other public places. Never I had a problem with the 7D. Sure, the glass of the lcd display got misty but it disappeared by itself. I did gave it any care treatment afterwards. The 7D functions of button work properly until today. The 7D even was taken in light rain while shooting sports. I used a towel to dry it, kept the camera in a warm room and no damage appeared.

I expect that my 5D MK III will stand up to at least the same level as the 7D. But after reading the OP message I ask myself if this is just a bad example of a QC check on this specific camera or if it is generic for all 5D MK III. I guess I will have to find out on my next tour to the middle east. Would be nice though to get some statement of Canon that in conditions described above the camera should be able to deal with it in a proper way just because of its weatherproof protection.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 01:09:48 AM by candyman »
5DIII w/grip  |  6D  |  16-35L IS  |  24-70VC  |  24-105L  |  70-200 f/2.8L IS II  |  70-300L  |  35 f/2 IS  |  50A  |  135L

michi

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2013, 10:53:25 AM »
Do I remember reading a story somewhere that some batches of Canon equipment were exposed to high humidity during transport to the US and ended up corroding later, but the owners being told it's water damage caused by the owner?

Maybe something like that going on?

crank47

• Power Shot G16
  • Action sport & lifestyle photographer
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2013, 11:02:11 AM »
Do I remember reading a story somewhere that some batches of Canon equipment were exposed to high humidity during transport to the US and ended up corroding later, but the owners being told it's water damage caused by the owner?

Maybe something like that going on?

Well my mk3 was bought in the US. In my opinion I think it was sweat since the frame had salt on it from the inside.

Dr.Jones - I'm really sorry since your repair is more expensive than mine. But yes it's silly that a 3500$ camera can die like this...

Buying a 1D is to much for me. The 5Dmk3 is an awesome camera and it fits my needs perfectly, it really fell in my eyes since it died like this... :-\
1V, 5D mkIII, 5D, 15mm 2.8 Fisheye, 16-35mm 2.8L II, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 2x 580EXII, AE-1 Program with 50mm 1.4, F-Stop Loka

miah

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2013, 11:36:42 AM »
Water damage is highly unpredictable and can cause errors, as Neuro said, a long time after it was exposed to water.
Sometimes that high unpredictability works in your favor, too. In 2007 I went over my motorcycle's handlebars into a pit of quicksand in the Amazon. My DSLR was safe in my waterproof panniers, but my Powershot S80 was strapped to my waist in a completely porous little belt-pack. By the time I finally extracted myself from the mess, and pulled the S80 out of my belt-pack, disgusting, muddy water was running out of every orifice. I pulled the battery, let it dry out for several days (exposed to more Amazon-level humidity, all day, everyday), put the battery back in--and it worked!

When I got back to the states, I played dumb and sent it into Canon for "cleaning." They subsequently sent me a photo of what it looked like on the inside: filthy. There letter explained that the camera had obvious water damage and offered me the chance to upgrade to another camera (at a discount). I passed, and am still using that S80 almost every day to this day, 6 years later (it just returned from Thailand, where my wife used it without fail, everyday for 7 weeks).

Now, I don't know whether to chalk this incident up to quality or luck or both, but regardless, I didn't lose a single shot from my trip.
T3i • 10-22 • 15-85 • 70-300DO *** 5D3 • 35 f/2 • 50 f/1.8 • 24-105L • 100L • 70-300L • 35-350L • 400L f/5.6

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2013, 11:36:42 AM »

Harry Muff

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr:
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2013, 02:30:11 PM »
Some cameras… With Canon written on them. Oh, and some lenses… Also with Canon written on them. Oh, and a shiny camera with Fuji written on it too...

Feel free to have a wander round my flickr

crank47

• Power Shot G16
  • Action sport & lifestyle photographer
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2013, 03:03:06 PM »

My trusty 5d mk3 died.

::)

So? I trusted it in the past and it did the job when I needed it to do it. I'll still trust it,just not in bad conditions...
Your comment is irrelevant.
1V, 5D mkIII, 5D, 15mm 2.8 Fisheye, 16-35mm 2.8L II, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 2x 580EXII, AE-1 Program with 50mm 1.4, F-Stop Loka

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2013, 03:33:13 PM »
My vote is humidity and condensation....  Depending on the extremes of indoors and outdoors in the winter you can get condensation going indoors and outdoors and you have to take caution to slowly warm your camera up to avoid issues...  Likewise in the summer with high temps and then going to a nice air conditioned rooms, especially with high humidity, it can be an issue, especially over time.  I've had times when shooting near chicago with 70-90% humidity where my cameras stopped working altogether until i let them cool down and dry out...  Canon cameras, if i'm not mistaken, claims they work in conditions of up to 60% humidity, or it could be closer to 70...  But yeah...  i'm sorry to hear
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

Chris Geiger

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2013, 04:37:11 PM »
I moved to Canon from Nikon in early 2012. I have shot exactly 50 weddings plus assorted other shoots over the last year an 1/2 with my pair of 5DIII's. The very first wedding it was raining all day. Most weddings are dry but I have had many weddings on hot days including an all outdoor weddings at 110 degrees. Talk about a lot of sweat! Never had any problem with either camera. When I am not shooting, I keep the camera's and lenses in a roller bag. I occasionally toss into the bag those little silica packets to keep the air in the bag dry. 

Here is a shot from the very first wedding that I did as a Canon shooter, yes that was rain I was shooting in....

Chuck Alaimo

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Chuck Alaimo Photography
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2013, 04:51:50 PM »
Something else to think about is that we do not buy cameras at the end of the production line.

Between the factory and our sweaty palms all kinds of things can happen in transit, storage, selling, repackaging, etc. That makes for one vast unknown.

Reading through this thread and was actually considering this as a potential solution. 
Owns 5Dmkiii, 6D, 16-35mm, 24mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, 85 mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8 macro, 1-600RT, 2 430 EX's, 1 video light

dgatwood

• 5D Mark III
  • 300D, 400D, 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2013, 01:34:00 AM »
Well you guys all have valid points.
But still you can't compare a iPhone with a 5Dmk3, 5D si a pro grade camera while a iPhone is... well a iPhone.
I don't know how exactly my camera died, maybi it was condensation from quick hot/cold translation, maybe it was from my sweaty shirt, maybe it just wanted to die... I really don't know.
I just know that i have a pro camera dead from water damage and that the camera didn't see any water or rain.
In favor to the repair centre,they did send me pictures and it kinda is a reasonable story.

I see no evidence of moisture damage in that photograph.  There's some gunk on the metal frame, but that looks more like glue that holds rubber seals in place than oxidation damage.  Titanium dioxide is white, not black or green.  However, if the metal frame is corroded, I suspect that it was corroded before they assembled the camera at the factory, because I see no evidence of water damage to the electronics at all in that photo.

In fact, the only thing I see that looks odd is the blob of greenish glue on one of the connectors.  Based on my experience with hardware manufacturers, that glue is probably there because they realized after they built a few million that the connector design was inadequate for the amount of force that routinely tugged on the cable.  That's the sort of design screw-up that makes me cringe every time I see it, because invariably there will be a few units that fail spontaneously in fascinating ways, often repeatedly.  To be brutally honest, it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest to learn that your entire failure was caused by that cable coming loose in spite of the glue....

If there had been actual water in the camera I would expect the following to be true:

• You should see massive corrosion on all the non-gold-plated ribbon cable contacts.  I see no corrosion whatsoever.
  • There's just about zero chance that they used stainless steel screws, given the cost difference, and given that these are not supposed to be exposed to the elements.  Therefore, those two screws should be big piles of rust (or at an absolute minimum, badly rust-stained), not shiny and new.
  • Had it been wet for any significant period of time, you should see dendrites between all of those close solder contacts.  As far as I can tell, they're all absolutely perfect.

And so on.  I mean yes, ostensibly, it could have failed because of water damage, but it sure doesn't look like water damage based on what I'm seeing.

My guess is that they probably put in a bunch of those worthless moisture sensing dots—the ones that a lot of manufacturers have already gotten sued over because of their astonishingly high false positive rates.  Either that or they get more money for non-warranty work and they're just trying to meet their quota by screwing somebody over.

Either way, please tell me which Canon service center this was.  I don't ever want anything I own to go there.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2013, 01:34:00 AM »

Kristofgss

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2013, 07:52:42 AM »
Just out of curiosity, would leaving the lens off in a dry environment help with removing water from the body and thus preventing corrosion? (like condensation when you change lenses in the rain) SO would it be a good option to have it rest for a while without lens cap after a shoot to prevent prolongued exposure to corrosion;

paul13walnut5

« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2013, 08:48:03 AM »
If somebody asked you to place your camera in a small closed cell with air being pumped around that space for 8 hours, during which time 1 litre of liquid is going to be released and circulated in that air would you be happy to do so?

In a tent this is exactly what you are doing, through respiration and perspiration, with your lungs pumping that humid air around.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2013, 08:48:03 AM »