July 28, 2014, 07:53:17 AM

Author Topic: Buy 50mm f1.2L now or wait for the II?  (Read 9366 times)

mrjgx

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
Re: Buy 50mm f1.2L now or wait for the II?
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2013, 12:07:33 AM »
Now there are people suggesting to get the FF body first. Believe me I have considered that many many times but I still believe investing in a good lens first is the wiser options. My EF lens is only the 50 f1.8 and 85 f1.8. My tammy 17-50 is an efs lens so it'll be not usable.
After browsing so many reviews on the net, I found this link and it made me think http://blog.kareldonk.com/canon-ef-50mm-f12-l-defective-by-design/ , let's wait for the II version to come out! To spend a large amount of money only to be disappointed is not acceptable. I'm not going for other L lens yet at the moment as my lens roadmap is to go with the L primes only.
85mm f1.2 is next in line, and so is the 135mm f2. The L zoom lens that I may consider is 17-40 f4 for travel, landscape and 70-200 IS II for wedding candid in a large hall).
Perhaps this 50mm f1.2 can be put on hold much longer until the ver II comes out.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2013, 12:07:33 AM »

mwh1964

• EOS M2
  • 5D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2013, 12:35:12 AM »
You don't mention what your are shooting. However, if I were in your shoes, I would sell the crop stuff and go FF immediately. 6d or 5DIII whatever you can afford. Quite frankly I would go with the 24-105 L for a start. But if you want primes and shallow DOF go 35L + 135 /100 L. Or EF 28 f1.8 and keep your 85 F1.8. If you then need a tele zoom I would suggest the 70-300L over the 70-200L except if you are shooting portraits or lowlight. As a side note I find the 50 f1.4 rather useful if you still want a 50mm. And that lens will save you a lot hard earned dollars.
5D3 | 24-70L II | 24-105L | 70-200L II | 70-300L | 15 fisheye | 35 IS | 40 STM | 50 f1.4 | 100L | 135 L | extender 2X III | B&W Kaesemann | 2 x 600 EX-RT | ST-E3-RT | MR14-EX | Manfrotto | Billingham | Lowepro | Think Tank

mrjgx

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2013, 03:00:56 AM »
I generally shoot people, and believe me with my current setup I did shoot couple of weddings, and went for some portraiture classes (hobby). Now I have the budget, (around 4.5k USD) and that's why I'm contemplating between an FF upgrade or a better lens.

Perhaps I can just upgrade to 5dmkiii and be happy with the current primes that I have  ;)

BoneDoc

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2013, 03:43:55 AM »
If you want to save money, just get a 6D.  When primes get really wide open, they tend to soften anyway.  5DIII is great, but if you're on a budget, I'm not sure it's 1500 dollar better :)

bycostello

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • London Weddings
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2013, 04:07:05 AM »
if you are waiting for the next big thing you'll wait forever...

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile

Random Orbits

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2013, 08:09:47 AM »
Now there are people suggesting to get the FF body first. Believe me I have considered that many many times but I still believe investing in a good lens first is the wiser options. My EF lens is only the 50 f1.8 and 85 f1.8. My tammy 17-50 is an efs lens so it'll be not usable.
After browsing so many reviews on the net, I found this link and it made me think http://blog.kareldonk.com/canon-ef-50mm-f12-l-defective-by-design/ , let's wait for the II version to come out! To spend a large amount of money only to be disappointed is not acceptable. I'm not going for other L lens yet at the moment as my lens roadmap is to go with the L primes only.
85mm f1.2 is next in line, and so is the 135mm f2. The L zoom lens that I may consider is 17-40 f4 for travel, landscape and 70-200 IS II for wedding candid in a large hall).
Perhaps this 50mm f1.2 can be put on hold much longer until the ver II comes out.

The L primes-only roadmap used to get you the best IQ, but that was before the 24-70 II.  The 24-70 II isn't perfect but it is a match against the 24L II and is better than the 35L (and is as good as the Sigma 35) and is a much better 50mm than any EF 50mm prime.  The colors and rendering are prime-like.  It does have more vignetting at f/2.8 than the primes (especially at 24mm), but for most, it is a trade worth making.  The primes will give you better low light performance, but is that worth spending 1k or more to upgrade the performance of your 50 and/or 85 or would it make sense to spend that money elsewhere?

I'm bringing this up not because I think you should go zoom over primes, but to give you food for thought.  It is better to think about these trades now before you start committing youself to some pretty expensive gear.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2013, 08:09:47 AM »

Viggo

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2013, 09:10:34 AM »

The L primes-only roadmap used to get you the best IQ, but that was before the 24-70 II.  The 24-70 II isn't perfect but it is a match against the 24L II and is better than the 35L (and is as good as the Sigma 35) and is a much better 50mm than any EF 50mm prime.  The colors and rendering are prime-like.  It does have more vignetting at f/2.8 than the primes (especially at 24mm), but for most, it is a trade worth making.  The primes will give you better low light performance, but is that worth spending 1k or more to upgrade the performance of your 50 and/or 85 or would it make sense to spend that money elsewhere?

I'm bringing this up not because I think you should go zoom over primes, but to give you food for thought.  It is better to think about these trades now before you start committing youself to some pretty expensive gear.

I'll join with you on that one. Sold off my 24L II, 35 L and 50 L once I got the 24-70, and you don't get a much bigger prime-nerd than me. It's THAT awesome. And at 50mm you have almost no vignetting with the 2470 II. The color and contrast are better than the 50 L.

I currently own just the 24-70 and 70-200 and I gotta say, with the ISO performance of the 1d X and the AF speed and corner-sharpness of those two zooms, I'm getting much better images and MUCH higher keeper rate and in focus images in any situation. I haven't missed one of my primes once, not once...
1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2013, 10:16:59 AM »
Thanks for the reply guys. Well noted on the points, so I guess I'll be heading to shop and get the lens quickly  ;D

I have 50mm f1.8, 85mm f1.8, and tamron 17-50 f2.8.

I'm about to buy the 5d mark iii body but I guess I'll go with the lens route first. With the price of the body I can get my hands on 2 L lens. I guess that will be the wiser options to go with.

OOT a bit, as I will be mostly doing portraiture thingy (outdoor), other than the 50 f1.2, which one should I choose between the 135f2 and 85 f1.2?

thx

http://ramonlperez.tumblr.com/post/34906285033/fast-prime-shoot-out-pt-2-50mm-1-2l-review

If you chose the 50L, It's very similiar to 85L. You might want a longer lens like the 135L to seperate your focal lengths more.

If you skip the 50mm, for lets say a Sigma 35mm 1.4... The 85L makes more sense.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 10:19:29 AM by RLPhoto »

mrjgx

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2013, 11:05:41 AM »

I'll join with you on that one. Sold off my 24L II, 35 L and 50 L once I got the 24-70, and you don't get a much bigger prime-nerd than me. It's THAT awesome. And at 50mm you have almost no vignetting with the 2470 II. The color and contrast are better than the 50 L.

I currently own just the 24-70 and 70-200 and I gotta say, with the ISO performance of the 1d X and the AF speed and corner-sharpness of those two zooms, I'm getting much better images and MUCH higher keeper rate and in focus images in any situation. I haven't missed one of my primes once, not once...

Hey man, that's a surprised that the zoom lens can replace all your 3 precious primes. I am a much comfortable shooter with just my 50mm at the moment but definitely will take the new 24-70 II into consideration once I'm active back in shooting weddings.

At the moment my priority is more towards bokeh quality for portraiture and IMO good L primes is the way to go! :)

7enderbender

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2013, 11:52:54 AM »
Hi guys,

I'm new here and since this thing is bothering me for 2 weeks already I guess I have to post it up here and seek feedbacks from the members here.

I'm planning to buy the 50mm f1.2L but I found out that there's a rumor saying the new II version is being tested. So anyone can predict when will it be released?

I'm in the middle of upgrading from APSC to FF camera, and I was thinking to better invest in a good lens first and the body upgrades can come much later. I'm planning to complete the Holy Trinity primes. The thing is, I don't want to spend a large amount of money only to regret having not to wait for a few more weeks when the new improved version is to be released.

Thx guys!

I would always buy what you need and not what may or may not come out at some point in the future. And I also know that "need" is often a stretch anyway. I personally have not regretted for one day buying my 50L. Other people had other experiences. It's what you prefer and what compromises you are willing to make. And I think that won't change with a MKII version of that lens - if such a thing ever materialized.

And if it does there is no guarantee that it is really "better". It may have different trade-offs which are - as far as I understand it- part of physics and unavoidable. And (that's just me now) I'd be concerned that given the latest "upgrades" that Canon put out a MKII may end up being something with even more plastic or IS or both.

The only disadvantage would otherwise be that Canon may yet again say that the current 50L becomes an "old and obsolete" lens that is not being serviced any longer in a few years in case something happens.
5DII - 50L - 135L - 200 2.8L - 24-105 - 580EXII - 430EXII - FD 500/8 - AE1-p - bag full of FD lenses

Standard

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2013, 12:27:51 PM »
I would always buy what you need and not what may or may not come out at some point in the future. And I also know that "need" is often a stretch anyway. I personally have not regretted for one day buying my 50L. Other people had other experiences. It's what you prefer and what compromises you are willing to make. And I think that won't change with a MKII version of that lens - if such a thing ever materialized.

And if it does there is no guarantee that it is really "better". It may have different trade-offs which are - as far as I understand it- part of physics and unavoidable. And (that's just me now) I'd be concerned that given the latest "upgrades" that Canon put out a MKII may end up being something with even more plastic or IS or both.

The only disadvantage would otherwise be that Canon may yet again say that the current 50L becomes an "old and obsolete" lens that is not being serviced any longer in a few years in case something happens.

+1

I love my 50L. It's already paid for itself many times over. Also the newer 50L II will cost much more given the current Canon pricing trend.

Tabor Warren Photography

• Rebel T5i
  • I want to go shoot something with a Canon...
    • View Profile
    • Tabor Warren Photography
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2013, 01:20:10 PM »
Thanks for the reply guys. Well noted on the points, so I guess I'll be heading to shop and get the lens quickly  ;D

I have 50mm f1.8, 85mm f1.8, and tamron 17-50 f2.8.

I'm about to buy the 5d mark iii body but I guess I'll go with the lens route first. With the price of the body I can get my hands on 2 L lens. I guess that will be the wiser options to go with.

OOT a bit, as I will be mostly doing portraiture thingy (outdoor), other than the 50 f1.2, which one should I choose between the 135f2 and 85 f1.2?

thx

http://ramonlperez.tumblr.com/post/34906285033/fast-prime-shoot-out-pt-2-50mm-1-2l-review

If you chose the 50L, It's very similiar to 85L. You might want a longer lens like the 135L to seperate your focal lengths more.

If you skip the 50mm, for lets say a Sigma 35mm 1.4... The 85L makes more sense.

I'll leave Ramon's full post in quotes because I think he's a pretty cool fellow, but he brought up the point of the 35/85 combo or 50/135 combo, I went with the 35/85 shooting both a crop and ff and absolutely LOVE it. I rented the 50 to try it out for a wedding last May, and though I was convinced I would buy it, I soon realized that what I needed was a portrait lens with a more shallow depth of field and went with the 85L ii for $1,650 used at Adorama. If it is at all possible, I would look into renting the 50L before buying it. I don't want to dog on the lens since others have had wonderful experiences and there's always the chance that I either had a bad copy or it just truly did not fit my needs. If you want it, great, and I wouldn't wait for the version ii, but I would continue to look at all of your options.

I hope this helps,
-Tabor
Bodies: 5D mk III x2, 5D mk. II, 7D, & 60D
Lenses: 17-40mm f/4L, 24mm f/1.4L, 35mm f/1.4L, 70-200mm f/2.8L ISII, 85 f/1.2L II, & 100mm f/2.8L
Flashes: 600EX-RT x2 & 430 EX II | To see my work head on over to http://photosbytabor.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2013, 01:20:10 PM »

mrjgx

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2013, 04:04:55 PM »
thx for all the replies guys..somehow rather my decision keeps on changing everytime someone replied on this topic  ;)

If I want to really skimp on budget, I'd just get the sigma lens.. the 35 1.4, 85 1.4, and 50 1.4. and a 6d. I'm not a pro anyway but there's something in me saying that, just go and collect the L. Life is short anyway  ::)

pj1974

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • A selection of my photos (copyright)
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2013, 06:52:08 PM »

Hey man, that's a surprised that the zoom lens can replace all your 3 precious primes. I am a much comfortable shooter with just my 50mm at the moment but definitely will take the new 24-70 II into consideration once I'm active back in shooting weddings.

At the moment my priority is more towards bokeh quality for portraiture and IMO good L primes is the way to go! :)

I'm glad there's been some good, open discussion about options for the OP.

As has been written above, certainly the 24-70mm II is a great lens - with high IQ, good bokeh and generally good ratings for other properties. In some cases it can do away with the need for a prime (or a few primes).

However I don't consider f/2.8 'fast glass'.  For me f/1.4-f/2 = 'fast glass' and anything below f/1.4 = 'very fast glass'. I consider f/2.8 = 'medium speed glass'.  f/3.5-f4 = ' medium slow glass' and anything slower than f/4 is 'slow glass'.

While others may define 'fast glass' differently eg some photographers might even say f/2.8 is 'awesomely, blazingly fast - incredible DOF control, etc' - that's fine, it's individual - and some people's shooting style doesn't require 'fast glass' (but f/2.8 = 'fast' enough for them). 

However the fact remains that a photo taken at f/1.4 when you really need it (especially for low light situations and/or ultra fine DOF control) is not going to be achieved by a f/2.8 lens, even the sharpest f/2.8 out there.  And the resulting image is going to be VASTLY different in many cases. As neuro outlined in his post, Canon's 50mm f/1.2 L is suitable for some, but not for others.

So in that respect, having f/1.4 primes is very different than a f/2.8 zoom.  Even with modern DSLRs (especially FF) being spectacular at managing high ISO, there is a huge difference between many photos taken at ISO12,800 at f/2.8 and a photo taken at ISO3200 at f/1.4  Having high ISO on tap can help in many respects, eg freezing action - but it can't decrease dof or impact bokeh positively.

That's why I'm particularly interested in Sigma's new 18-35mm f/1.8 zoom even though I'm very aware it's for APS-C only, and thus some of the benefits (dof control) are more limited compared to being a FF lens. But if more manufacturing of fast zooms can be produced (even with limited zoom ranges, eg a 24-35mm f/1.8 for FF, with great IQ) - that would be very welcome (a lens like this might be some time away, though).  But full kudos to Sigma for their new 18-35mm f/1.8 lens - I've seen some good reviews and user reports of it already!

In addition, I'm also waiting for a new 50mm prime.  Something between f/1.2 and f/2 is important for me, and AF needs to be spot on (preferably true USM) - 100% consistent AF (Sigma's 50mm isn't)- and great IQ wide open. IS highly preferred. None of the current 50mms from any manufacturer meet my criteria. In the meantime I keep waiting... and taking photos with my other lenses.  I'm happy - and enjoying photography & life. :)

Regards

Paul
I'm not a brand-fanatic. What I do appreciate is using my 7D and 350D cameras along with a host of lenses & many accessories to capture quality photos, and share with friends.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2013, 06:52:08 PM »