August 31, 2014, 04:44:52 AM

Author Topic: Will you buy it - 2 months' old 6D for $1000 on the Craigslist(Kijiji instead)  (Read 1549 times)

littlewildcat

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Price seems ridiculously low - reduced from 1.1K to 1K on the second day for a 2 months' old 6D. Then.......paypal ??..........shipping from remote area??........shutter count 2844 ??..........excellent condition.... everything seems too good to be true.

My friend told me about it and sent me a screen capture of this offer. The listing was then gone - really sold ?? Or is it just a Scam ?

What do you think ?

edited - captured Craigslist listing removed. It may be inappropriate to post it here, I think.

Edit # 2  It's Kijiji not Craigslist. Sorry. Subject has to be edited as well.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 07:08:22 PM by littlewildcat »

canon rumors FORUM

wellfedCanuck

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: Will you buy it - 2 months' old 6D for $1000 on the Craigslist
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 06:14:24 PM »
There was a 1DX posted on Kijiji last week in the same geographical area for only $1775, shutter count 475. The ad looked suspiciously like this one. The seller wouldn't answer my questions about why he/she was selling and where he originally purchased the camera. Methinks there is some sort of scam going on...
Don't take my advice. Don't even take my advice not to take my advice.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 06:18:04 PM »
If it sounds too good to be true...
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

wellfedCanuck

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 06:50:13 PM »
If it sounds too good to be true...
Competent adults will see the warning flags but there are a great number of handicapped people out there who routinely fall for these and other scams. Over the years I've torn my hair out trying to keep my sister out of trouble but she's sent a total of about $4K via Western Union to unscrupulous individuals. Being on a disability pension- this is huge money for her. But, as a legally independent adult- she has her own banking facilities and  access to credit. I've contacted 4 different police departments with names, addresses and IP information. Because of the international nature of most of these crimes and difficulty proving a case- nobody will do anything other than make polite, apologetic noises.
Don't take my advice. Don't even take my advice not to take my advice.

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
COD only and after careful inspection.

johnhenry

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
probably a scam.

Ways to avoid:

1. Ask questions, lots of them. Why did they buy it? Why are they selling it? Ask for a pic of a local newspaper taken with it? The last works well because you can look at EXIF data to see which camera it was taken with matches what is being sold.

2. If its a local store, ask if they got a warranty with their camera. Sale receipt? Warranty cards?

3. Ask if they have the box and accessories. If they don't have them or make weird excuses, either stolen or scam.

4. Offer to pay the asking amount paid for by check on a local bank, no Western Union, Paypal or wire transfer. Say you need it for a business expense/insurance purposes. If they decline, I have posted on CL details etc. The ad usually vanishes.

5. If they ask for cash, negotiate and state UP FRONT you will want to meet in a public place, you want to see a drivers license or other ID  and you will bring someone along. I bring along two standard sales forms with room for : two names, an amount, a tile of the item in question, a serial number,  a list any bits that go with it and room to write down their ID.

jdramirez

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
It sucks when things are too good to be true. 

I saw a Lotus once for something like $12000... and I was thinking... why would you sell a $60000 car for the price of a cheap kia... And of course the answer is... you don't.
Upgrade  path.->means the former was sold for the latter.

XS->60D->5d Mkiii:18-55->24-105L:75-300->55-250->70-300->70-200 f4L USM->70-200 f/2.8L USM->70-200 f/2.8L IS Mkii:50 f/1.8->50 f/1.4->100 f/2.8L->85mm f/1.8 USM->135L -> 8mm ->100L

canon rumors FORUM