April 23, 2014, 07:54:00 PM

Author Topic: Sigma 24-70 f/2 OS HSM Coming? [CR1]  (Read 19025 times)

roadrunner

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
Re: Sigma 24-70 f/2 OS HSM Coming? [CR1]
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2013, 10:05:44 PM »

Crikey, this thing will weigh 5 pounds. 

But it might be 5 pounds of awesome.

- A

I'm not trolling here, this is a serious question... but is weight even really that big of a deal? As long as the size is not so huge that I can still fit it in my camera bag and ThinkTank Airport Security case, weight has never really been something that bothered me.

I find that after 12 hours of shooting a wedding, my neck, back, and shoulders are going to hurt no matter what I am carrying. Nevermind the fact that the 70-200 F2.8 II is probably quite a bit heavier than this will be anyways. Just curious to see how important weight is to most people when making a purchase, as it really doesn't affect my personal gear choice for a long day of shooting.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2013, 10:05:44 PM »

jdramirez

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2013, 10:16:06 PM »

Crikey, this thing will weigh 5 pounds. 

But it might be 5 pounds of awesome.

- A

I'm not trolling here, this is a serious question... but is weight even really that big of a deal? As long as the size is not so huge that I can still fit it in my camera bag and ThinkTank Airport Security case, weight has never really been something that bothered me.

I find that after 12 hours of shooting a wedding, my neck, back, and shoulders are going to hurt no matter what I am carrying. Nevermind the fact that the 70-200 F2.8 II is probably quite a bit heavier than this will be anyways. Just curious to see how important weight is to most people when making a purchase, as it really doesn't affect my personal gear choice for a long day of shooting.

I'm a big guy, and when I'm in shape, which may or may not be the case, I can usually work out with 40 lbs dumbells for bicep curls, and up to 60 lbs for chest...

So the weight doesn't really affect me all that much, but if you have an extra lbs or two hanging from your neck over 8+ hours, it can start to give you a cramp... and your wrists and forearms can start to ache... mine too... but I just ignore the pain.

For an hour... most people can deal... but over the course of a day... then that starts to wear on you.

As an example... when I played football, I would be in incredible shape before camp started... but wearing the helmet for two a day practices cause a pretty severe ache in my neck and shoulders. 
Upgrade  path.->means the former was sold for the latter.

XS->60D->5d Mkiii:18-55->24-105L:75-300->55-250->70-300->70-200 f4L USM->70-200 f/2.8L USM->70-200 f/2.8L IS Mkii:50 f/1.8->50 f/1.4->100 f/2.8L->85mm f/1.8 USM->135L -> 8mm ->100L

brad-man

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2013, 10:24:17 PM »
I'm so interested in the next FF lens in the Art line from these people, I can get excited over a CR1.

beckstoy

• Rebel T5i
  • Bokeh, Baby!
    • View Profile
    • Pure Touch Photography
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2013, 10:24:37 PM »
If true and has a competitive price (below $1,500) and has the sharpness and quality of the A series lenses that had been released,  I think it will be a must have.

Whats up with the picture on the site post, that gigantic thing... thats not the lens we┬┤re talking about right???

I'm pretty sure that the one you're thinking about is this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Sigma-200-500mm-Ultra-Telephoto-Canon-Cameras/dp/B0013D8VDQ

...only $26K!
5DM3, EF 50 f1.4, EF 24-70 f2.8 II, EF 70-200 f2.8 USM IS II, EF 24-104 f4, Siggy 12-24 f3.5

Etienne

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • Photography by Steve Brule
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2013, 10:37:49 PM »
I'd rather have a small, light 24-35 f/1.8 (or even f/2), or a really sharp contrasty 18-28  f/2.8.
A 24-70 f/2 would be big and heavy. My bag is already too heavy

PVS

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2013, 10:39:27 PM »
Even the mods got so excited that they forgot this should go in 3rd party section, heh.

roadrunner

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2013, 10:42:59 PM »
I'm a big guy, and when I'm in shape, which may or may not be the case, I can usually work out with 40 lbs dumbells for bicep curls, and up to 60 lbs for chest...

So the weight doesn't really affect me all that much, but if you have an extra lbs or two hanging from your neck over 8+ hours, it can start to give you a cramp... and your wrists and forearms can start to ache... mine too... but I just ignore the pain.

For an hour... most people can deal... but over the course of a day... then that starts to wear on you.

As an example... when I played football, I would be in incredible shape before camp started... but wearing the helmet for two a day practices cause a pretty severe ache in my neck and shoulders.

Maybe it's just that different fram of mind then. I don't mind hurting, if it's the right tool for the job. I'm definitely not a big guy (5'10" 150lbs) and I find I hurt whether I am carrying two bodies with primes, or my 70-200 F2.8 and 24-70 F2.8. I figure If I am going to hurt either way, I may as well hurt while having the best gear readily accessible.

I suppose I could see weight being very important for those that do a lot of hiking with their gear though.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2013, 10:42:59 PM »

adhocphotographer

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • An ad hoc photographer
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2013, 10:46:22 PM »
I am pro options...  and this is another option! great...  but i will contain my excitement until it is announced and reviewed! Until then, i will plod along with my 24-105, which i would probably keep even if i did buy the sigma 24-70 based on the fact it has weather sealing...  :)
5D MkIII + an every expanding array of lenses and accessories!
-------www.adhocphotographer.com--------

jdramirez

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2013, 10:46:29 PM »

Maybe it's just that different fram of mind then. I don't mind hurting, if it's the right tool for the job. I'm definitely not a big guy (5'10" 150lbs) and I find I hurt whether I am carrying two bodies with primes, or my 70-200 F2.8 and 24-70 F2.8. I figure If I am going to hurt either way, I may as well hurt while having the best gear readily accessible.

I suppose I could see weight being very important for those that do a lot of hiking with their gear though.

I'm a pack mule for out family, but if you and the family ever go to Disney World/Land, it is hard to take just one lens, but with cold water in the bag, souvenirs, those stupid pins, your phone, your daughter's camera that she decides she no longer want to carry, a bag of sugared nuts, etc... it all starts to get heavy.  I didn't have my 70-200mm f/2.8L IS mkii the last time I went, but I might be hard pressed to have to CARRY ALL THAT plus a few lenses.  So I will have to plan accordingly.
Upgrade  path.->means the former was sold for the latter.

XS->60D->5d Mkiii:18-55->24-105L:75-300->55-250->70-300->70-200 f4L USM->70-200 f/2.8L USM->70-200 f/2.8L IS Mkii:50 f/1.8->50 f/1.4->100 f/2.8L->85mm f/1.8 USM->135L -> 8mm ->100L

Grumbaki

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2013, 10:57:52 PM »
Dear Sigma, get in the business of cheap and fast and sharp telephoto primes. Love, grumbaki.

PS: I hug your 35 as often as i can.

roadrunner

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2013, 10:59:39 PM »
jdramirez, thanks for another point of view. I can certainly understand that point. I find when I am attending family functions or going on personal trips, I only take one lens, and then size is important. I guess I should have clarified that my choices do differ depending on whether it is just for fun or for profissional use.

pj1974

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • A selection of my photos (copyright)
« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2013, 11:45:11 PM »

I'm a pack mule for out family, but if you and the family ever go to Disney World/Land, it is hard to take just one lens, but with cold water in the bag, souvenirs, those stupid pins, your phone, your daughter's camera that she decides she no longer want to carry, a bag of sugared nuts, etc... it all starts to get heavy.  I didn't have my 70-200mm f/2.8L IS mkii the last time I went, but I might be hard pressed to have to CARRY ALL THAT plus a few lenses.  So I will have to plan accordingly.

Thanks jdramirez for what you wrote - I appreciate the personal touch and 'hands on description' - that you've given, and what works for you (as roadrunner has also posted)

I'm a slightly smaller than average man (171cm, 62kg)- reasonable level of fitness / stamina, but I'm not big / muscly by any stretch of the imagination.

Over the years I've taken tens of thousands (if not hundreds of thousands) of photos - many at camps, and on outings, etc.  When I started with my first DSLR (about 8 years ago, with a 350D). The 350D with 28-135mm lens which I used most of the time (or even the 18-55mm kit lens) was of course 'huge' compared to my previous Fuji P&S.

Now I own a 7D also, and that's my go-to camera for most things - along with my 15-85mm lens.  I can (and often do) use the camera for many hours at a time.  I recently bought my fiancee a Sony RX-100 - a great P&S camera - larger sensor than others in its class, with good optics.

As much as I enjoy photography, I certainly appreciate times when am at an event, or walking, or sight-seeing and I do NOT have 1.5 kg of camera & lens dangling from my neck (or being held in my hand).  That's the main reason I got my fiancee a true pocketable P&S, because I know she'll appreciate the smaller size of that camera.

So...... back to the original topic: rumour of Sigma producing a 24-70mm f/2 for FF.  I believe laws of optics determine that the lens would need to weigh substantially more than any existing current 24-70mm f/2.8 lens. Therefore a 24-70mm f/2 might not be an ideal 'light / travel companion' to eg a Canon 6D as your travel lens. 

That's where I see the 24-70mm f/4 L IS (or the 24-105mm f/4 L IS) fitting in - ie for those doing a lot of travelling, and where IS is more convenient than a tripod. (And that's the same reason why I on occasion even use my 18-55mm on my 350D as my 'long bushwalk / travel combination' - where weight is really a serious consideration, even though the grip on the 350D isn't as comfortable as that on a 7D).

Again, back to a rumoured 24-70mm f/2.... For those interested in the ability to control DOF and/or shooting in low light- a 24-70mm f/2 would have an envious amount of flexibility, particularly if it was available with OS/IS. And if it has superb high quality optics - that would be the dream lens for many on a FF.  Roll on Sigma!

Regards

Paul
I'm not a brand-fanatic. What I do appreciate is using my 7D and 350D cameras along with a host of lenses & many accessories to capture quality photos, and share with friends.

JayY

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2013, 12:47:04 AM »
Let's hope that this lens will be part of their Art line. I'm really confused at how Sigma is managing to pull off what they have done recently. Canon, Nikon, and Zeiss charge top dollar for their best lenses and they are presumably already pushing the state of the art. I would expect these companies to pull out all the stops to design the sharpest lens possible using the best design and manufacturing techniques. Yet Sigma comes along and produces a set of lenses that are significantly sharper than these guys. WTF ? How is this possible ? If lens design were a sport I would suspect that Sigma is cheating.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2013, 12:47:04 AM »

Wildfire

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2013, 01:13:29 AM »
I would expect these companies to pull out all the stops to design the cheapest lens possible using the easiest design and manufacturing techniques.

Fixed. :)

infared

• 5D Mark III
  • Kodak Brownie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2013, 01:37:24 AM »
This is intriguing news! I would love to see more fast Art-Line Primes (like a killer 50mm)...but hey, this could be entertaining. I own the Canon 24-70mm II ...and I doubt that a Sigma f/2 IS lens could come close to the sharpness of the Canon II...but they are on a roll lately, so who knows. The new Sigma 35mm is fantastic..I own one and love it! This rumored new Sigma would have to be somewhat bigger than the Canon, too.... I would imagine.

This sounds like a much more sensible rumor regarding the recent Sigma Liberation-Teaser Ads that are running. I am also reading speculative rumors that Sigma is supposedly releasing a MFT mirrorless camera...That one is total bunk....
..this rumor here makes much more sense...and based on Sigma's teaser ads, the new zoom would have to be reasonably priced..or there is no "liberation" from the Canon system.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 03:56:26 AM by infared »
5D Mark III, Canon 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye, Canon 17mm f/4L TS-E, Canon 16-35mm f/2.8L II, 21mm f/2.8 Zeiss, Sigma 35mm f/1.4, 24-70mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 Sigma, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro,70-200mm f/2.8L IS II...1.4x converter III, and some other stuff.....

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2013, 01:37:24 AM »