August 31, 2014, 06:36:49 AM

Author Topic: Not Windows  (Read 7558 times)

dstppy

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
Not Windows
« on: July 29, 2013, 10:30:36 PM »
I'm at the point where I need a computer upgrade for Lightroom . . . because I get distracted when an image takes 10-14 seconds to process (yeah, I get distracted easily . . . uh, I guess I said that). 

The problem is that I'm a mac guy, a mini, air, mbp, iMac . . . I just can't afford a pro ($1800 refurb, to start with).

Here's the problem, I don't mind working with Windows7 . . . but it's a step backwards, and the resource overhead I'm just not willing to deal with (I'm a programmer and pretty much EVERYTHING runs better on Linux/Mac).

So, my question is: for Linux, has anyone found a really good alternative to Lightroom OR are any of you running a high-end hackintosh?

Thanks guys!
Canon Rumors is presently creating photographer shortages in Middle Earth (all the trolls emigrated here)

canon rumors FORUM

Not Windows
« on: July 29, 2013, 10:30:36 PM »

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Re: Not Windows
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 11:26:32 PM »
While I'm not a programmer, what I can say is the best decision I made computer wise was dumping apple around 2006 for my wintel machine. Win7pro is polished, fast, and just works. So much software for it, and the comfort of knowing it will be supported for years... Not so much for OSX.

I still use my 2006 built machine, and only made minor upgrades to it. It's been a rock and I have to say, you should really reconsider a windows 7 machine.

BTW, with 1800$ for that Mac Pro, you can build a monster PC for that $$$$.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 11:31:48 PM by RLPhoto »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 11:35:26 PM »
I have a 17" MB Pro (I hope Apple starts making them again!) and a 13" MB Air.

The 17" MBP is no slouch, but last week I swapped out the 500 GB HDD for a 960 GB SSD, and images load almost instantly in Aperture and DxO.  So...an SSD might give your existing Macs a boost (unless you're already using them).
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

dr croubie

• 1D X
  • Too many photos, too little time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2013, 12:21:30 AM »
I've been running Gentoo for the last 10 years at least.
I've got DPP working under Wine, it's not perfect but it gets the job done. I shoot RAW and then use it to batch-convert to jpeg, I use Gwenview to view all the jpegs and pick the keepers.
Then for the 1 in 100 special shots, I got back to DPP and maybe give it the occasional highlight/shadow/contrast sliders and noise reduction.
Then I use GIMP to edit the jpeg, but not much. Normally just crop and resize.

ps, DO NOT judge GIMP by trying the windows version. I've tried it and it is one of the most horribly annoying interfaces ever. GIMP on linux is a pleasure to use. Don't ask me why they're different but they are.

I've just recently had to install a Vista virtual machine using Virtualbox though, to be able to use my new Epson R3000 printer to its potential (I know you can print from linux but I've never tried). I also run Silverfast AI on it for my Epson v750 film scanner (I've been scanning in linux for a year but silverfast is so much more powerful and it came free with the scanner).
So I scan on vista, take to GIMP on linux for cropping, curves, a bit of Smart Sharpening, and maybe colour-correction (although I've calibrated the scanner for slides and I'm getting better at scanning colour negs correctly as I learn silverfast), then I take it back to vista to print. The virtual machine makes it easy to copy/save files to the same location. Too easy.

I know GIMP and Gwenview aren't as powerful as PS or Lightroom or anything, but it works fine for me. Not being able to do all the fancy things is actually making me learn my cameras properly, getting it right in-camera precludes the need for too much PP.
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

captainkanji

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2013, 12:49:17 AM »
Cost is the only reason I've not completely gone Apple.  I have an iphone and ipad mini.  I can completely upgrade my system for $800.  I've been building my own systems since 2008 and will never purchase from a big box store again.  The only issue I have now is the lack of an SSD for my OS drive.  I'd love to have a mac book pro, but for that money, I could get an awesome PC and have enough left over to buy a prime lens.  I do love playing with macs and imacs at the local BB store.
Canon 6D, Meike battery grip, Black Rapid Strap
EF 40mm f/2.8, EF 50mm f/1.4, EF 135mm f/2L USM, EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM, 430EX II Speedlite
HDR photos look best when I can't see them.

Niterider

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2013, 12:58:38 AM »
I use Wine as well. Works pretty well, but can sometimes be a pain to get working seamlessly. I guess I am on the other side of the boat. Do all my programming in a linux environment, but still see mac os as a step backward. For that reason, among many others, I refuse to buy a mac.

So why not just build a computer and run Mint, Fedora, Ubuntu and emulate all programs that are designed for windows. That way you don't have to shell out the coin for some overpriced shinny crap.

rsvdude

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2013, 01:43:08 AM »
Using Linux Mint and found Bibble which is now Corel Aftershot Pro very good and very fast.
Neuroanatomists suggestion of an upgrade to an SSD is worth looking at. I did the same myself and now the computer is blistering fast 8)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2013, 01:43:08 AM »

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2013, 01:57:12 AM »
Cost is the only reason I've not completely gone Apple.  I have an iphone and ipad mini.  I can completely upgrade my system for $800.  I've been building my own systems since 2008 and will never purchase from a big box store again.  The only issue I have now is the lack of an SSD for my OS drive.  I'd love to have a mac book pro, but for that money, I could get an awesome PC and have enough left over to buy a prime lens.  I do love playing with macs and imacs at the local BB store.

Looking to moving from Win 7 Dell XPS to a Mac Pro and Macbook Pro but concerned about $$$.    Afraid the move will set me back $7-8,000 (! ouch!)

Leadfingers

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2013, 04:04:19 AM »
So, my question is: for Linux, has anyone found a really good alternative to Lightroom OR are any of you running a high-end hackintosh?

Thanks guys!

I'd also love to find a decent Hackintosh VM.  I think the UI for Mac OS (after 10.4 or so) is god-awful terrible, but would love to have access to it.
~ I look around me.  I describe what I see.
~~ Daria

JohanCruyff

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2013, 04:08:11 AM »
an SSD might give your existing Macs a boost (unless you're already using them).

+1,000

While I'm not a programmer, what I can say is the best decision I made computer wise was dumping apple around 2006 for my wintel machine. Win7pro is polished, fast, and just works.

I used to think that switching from Win to Apple was almost a one-way road, but you are not alone.
http://photofocus.com/2013/06/10/about-my-switch-from-mac-to-windows/

My 2007 iMac with Snow Leopard opens the EOS M RAW files only with Canon DPP (Preview and iPhoto are obsolete).  :(  And it's slower than when I'm opening the 12.8 Mpx RAWs from my 5Dc (12bit raw, BTW).
I always thought that my computer should last 7 years, so I'll try to resist.
Options I'm considering: adopting Mountain Lion (and iPhoto 11 and/or Elements) and replacing the HD with a SSD (but CPU and GPU would not change)...

Italian amateur. Gear: i) 5d Classic, 17-40 F/4 L, 24-105mm F/4 IS L, 100mm F/2.8 IS L, 70-200 F/4 IS L. & EOS M, 22 F/2, 18-55 + Mount Adapter, 55-250 F/4-5.6 IS STM
ii) Wife: Canon G12
iii) First Daughter: Canon 1100D, 18-55 IS iv) Son: Canon A1000IS v) Second Daughter: Nikon L21

sepp

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2013, 04:18:39 AM »
Have you taken a look at Darktable? This is some sort of a Lightroom clone for Linux and MacOSX from the open source community.

http://www.darktable.org/

It behaves a little different than LR, but it also allows for LR catalog import. Haven't tried the import yet, but maybe this helps.

sepp

hawaiisunsetphoto

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2013, 04:31:56 AM »
My Windows 6-core box crushes Macs costing 2-3X more....  building a dual Xeon workstation that's even faster - found a killer deal on ebay.  Both with Windows 8, which is great.  Using LR and PS6/CC....
1Dx, 15mm f/2.8 fisheye, 16-35mm f/2.8L II, 17-55mm f/2.8, 24-70mm f/2.8L II, 24-105mm f/4L, Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 85mm f/1.2L II, 100mm f/2.8L IS, 135mm f/2.0L, 200mm f/2L, 1.4x III, 2x III, 600EX RT (3), Einstein, Sony RX100 with Nauticam housing

smithy

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2013, 05:09:58 AM »
Heh there's no simple answer to the questions posed in this type of thread.  Being a programmer doesn't automatically mean that suddenly your word is gospel either - there are a LOT more programmers programming for Windows than OS X on the Mac, so take that for what it's worth.

My solution:  have both. :)  I do.  I play each to their strengths; the Mac for email and Internet (and portability), and a high-spec Windows 7 desktop for sheer horsepower (photo editing and gaming).
5D Mark III, 40D, 1V.  Bunch of strobes, lenses and other bits.
They're, their, there, it's, its, too, to, than, then, you're, your.  One lens, two lenses, the lens's aperture.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2013, 05:09:58 AM »

madmailman

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2013, 05:23:55 AM »
My wife creates 3d renderings from thousands of TIFF files which as you can imagine take quite some time on a MBP. So I was looking at getting an older refurb Mac Pro. After seeing the prices I ditched that idea and built a "Hackentosh". I'll probably get crucified for this but wow! For around $1000 (excluding box & screen) she now does her renderings in a couple minutes instead of overnight on a Quad Core box with 16GB RAM. And I haven't installed the SSD or an additional 16GB RAM yet. Bang for your buck you can't beat a Hackentosh.  ;D
5D3, 16-35mm f2.8mkii 24-105mm f4, 50mm f1.4, 40mm STM, 70-200 f2.8mkii

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2013, 05:49:14 AM »
I'm at the point where I need a computer upgrade for Lightroom . . . because I get distracted when an image takes 10-14 seconds to process (yeah, I get distracted easily . . . uh, I guess I said that).

You do follow the standard advice for slow boxes to disable noise reduction & sharpening while working on the picture until you're completely finished, correct?

Plus splitting a large catalog does wonders, if the "Commit size" column in task manager (you have to enable the column first, it's not there by default) is larger or near your physical memory the lightroom hits the fan and it slows to a crawl.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2013, 05:49:14 AM »