September 23, 2014, 08:56:47 AM

Author Topic: Firmware Updates for Canon EOS-1D Mark III, EOS-1Ds Mark III & EOS-1D Mark IV  (Read 4277 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors

From Canon USA

Canon continues to update older professional DSLR bodies. I must say I’m pleasantly surprised they’re still supporting the Mark III bodies.

The following fixes have been incorporated in the new firmware

1. Resolves the following phenomenon: when the camera is not attached to a lens, power consumption may be higher than usual, causing premature battery drain.

2. Resolves a phenomenon in which “Err 02” may be displayed when the shutter is released without a lens attached.

Download the firmware

cr

canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
What a shame they didn't put the RT flash system functionality in there, I doubt it would have hurt new sales but what a boost i would give to customers currently using the 1Ds MkIII, which is still Canon's premier high resolution 1 series.
The best time to plant a tree is twenty-five years ago. The second best time is today.

RGomezPhotos

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • Ricardo Gomez Photography
Excellent cameras still. Glad that support is still excellent. Peace of mind.
EOS 5D MKII & 50D, Zeiss 50mm f1.4
www.ricardogomezphotography.com

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
I also expect the 3rd party battery warning to pop up, so I'd hold off if you are using third party batteries until someone reports that there are no issues.

BozillaNZ

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Does this mean they f**ked up the previous update to support 200-400 1.4x? So they released a patch to fix previous firmware update?
1Ds2,1Ds3,24L II,35L,85L II,EF 50 1.4
Tokina 16-28,24-70L II,70-200L IS II,1.4x II
www.flickr.com/photos/bozillanz/

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
Excellent cameras still. Glad that support is still excellent. Peace of mind.

It's also the other way around: They are excellent cameras *because* they are still supported!

Unfortunately for us Joe Sixpacks it's not like that - and even for 1d it could be a lot better: think Canon would add rt (and group mode) control to the firmware of the *current* cameras like 7d & 60d or the *last* generation of multi-thousand $$$ 1d? No way, even if it'd probably just take their programmers some days to do it :-(

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
Great to see Canon still working on FW updates for these cameras which are no longer in production.
1D X + backup + different L lenses etc.

canon rumors FORUM

xylus

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
This isnt any update....just fixing some bugs!

alexanderferdinand

• 7D
    • View Profile

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
This isnt any update....just fixing some bugs!

The difference being? When you consider these cameras are no longer in production, this is an update.
1D X + backup + different L lenses etc.

alexanderferdinand

• 7D
    • View Profile
Good point, expatinasia.
Always a good feeling that Canon cares for equipment thats not listed any longer.
Although: there was an update a few weeks ago for the 1d4.
After more then a year.
Have they forgotten something?
The fixed issues are new?
Hm.
And yes: I actually had an err02 just a few days ago. Never before. Objectiv attached.
Strange thing.

BozillaNZ

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
They are fixing bugs they introduced by the firmware of previous version, which they introduced solely to sell more of the 200-400 1.4x lenses. I don't see that as care for customers of old products, I see that as due diligence.

Also the updated firmware won't break compatibility with 3rd party batteries.
1Ds2,1Ds3,24L II,35L,85L II,EF 50 1.4
Tokina 16-28,24-70L II,70-200L IS II,1.4x II
www.flickr.com/photos/bozillanz/

tq0cr5i

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
 :-[I am always waiting for firmware updates for my 5D2. The 2.1.2 firmware now more than 17 months old. Perhaps this will be the last and final official update for the camera. :(
Canon EOS 5D Mark II;
CANON EF LENSES: 24mm F1.4L II, 24-105mm F4L, 40mm F2.8, 50mm F1.8 II, 50mm F2.5, 100mm F2.8L, 135mm F2L, 70-200mm F4L IS;
Canon SPEEDLITES: 430EX II, 90EX

canon rumors FORUM

WillThompson

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Does this mean they f**ked up the previous update to support 200-400 1.4x? So they released a patch to fix previous firmware update?

YES!
Will T.

danski0224

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • Some of my Work in Progress
It would be nice if they added regular spot AF (like the 7D or 5DIII) to the 1DIV without having to use a lens with a spot AF button on it...
Some of my Work in Progress..... www.dftimages.com

canon rumors FORUM