October 25, 2014, 03:08:00 PM

Author Topic: People that don't shoot in manual...  (Read 28782 times)

LewisShermer

• EOS M2
  • point shoot hope
    • View Profile
    • Business!
People that don't shoot in manual...
« on: July 30, 2013, 09:37:09 AM »
...annoy me even more than those that don't shoot in raw.

What is it that folk find so difficult about choosing an appropriate shutter speed, the DOF they desire and then selecting the necessary ISO?

Obviously you then make off's where necessary...

I actually tried Tv & Av once, what a palava. settings all over the place, complete lack of control of anything. I have a friend that only shoots in fully auto (a Nikon user) and to look at his exif data is painful... he is a beginner and his composure nor his focussing is spot on yet but he refuses to learn even the simplest things about taking control of his own photography and not letting a daft camera take control.

The only non-manual thing I'll accept is the EX580's ETTL and that's only because it's a right bastard to operate.

so yeah, sell me the other options I've got to work with...
5Diii, 1Dsiii, 60D, 500D, EX580, loads of crappy flash guns... 28mm 1.8, Sigma 35mm 1.4 Art, 50mm 1.4, 100mm macro 2.8, 24-105mm 4L, 70-200mm 2.8L, lensbaby composer...

www.lewismaxwell.co.uk

canon rumors FORUM

People that don't shoot in manual...
« on: July 30, 2013, 09:37:09 AM »

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Re: People that don't shoot in manual...
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 09:45:41 AM »
I do drop into program mode when Im just shooting whatever. I don't feel like thinking about settings but just getting photos of stuff. Like at a museum or a gallery.

Of course when I shoot seriously, its always M or Av, no auto ISO.

Grumbaki

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 09:51:56 AM »
The need for speed makes me shoot Av.

When shooting daytime street candids time is of the essence. DoF too as composition is tridimensional. Iso is set to a fixed value. 1 dial instead of 2+some maths can make me get the shot that will be gone in half a second.

Now of course any situation where a dumb processor can make you miss the shot is time for M. But really what does it matter in my previous example if your shutter speed is 1/4000 or 1/1000 or 1/250? I prefer to work the joystick and nail the focus.

To be honest, what should piss you is refusal to learn, not preference to use a simpler method when conditions allow.

m

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2013, 10:10:35 AM »
The only non-manual thing I'll accept is the EX580's ETTL and that's only because it's a right bastard to operate.

auto focus appears to be quite convenient
give it a try

LewisShermer

• EOS M2
  • point shoot hope
    • View Profile
    • Business!
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2013, 10:11:33 AM »

auto focus appears to be quite convenient
give it a try

And that's not so accurate all the time...
5Diii, 1Dsiii, 60D, 500D, EX580, loads of crappy flash guns... 28mm 1.8, Sigma 35mm 1.4 Art, 50mm 1.4, 100mm macro 2.8, 24-105mm 4L, 70-200mm 2.8L, lensbaby composer...

www.lewismaxwell.co.uk

Rob Wiebe

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • J D Robert Wiebe Photography
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2013, 10:26:30 AM »
Hilarious statement. Why care what anyone uses for settings unless you are looking to problem solve a particular issue? If it works for you, great. When I talk to a new photographer or a beginner, I "suggest" some options....  :)

PS, I love the auto ISO implementation on my 1DX ;)
1DX, Sony A7R, Sony RX100 III (ordered) and lots of " L" lenses

FunPhotons

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2013, 10:27:09 AM »
Seems strange to be annoyed at how other people like to shoot.

Anyhow, I usually shoot Av but have been wanting to go M for consistency and control. What is your procedure? Use the built in meter, by eye, or other?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2013, 10:27:09 AM »

Welendlenses

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2013, 10:27:25 AM »
I've talked to a few photographers that shoot in manual only and they don't seem to understand the concept of Av. After you explain EV comp to them and they give it a try, they always say "I'll try using Av more often!" They're also never pro's so I'm surprised by the OP!

And to my understanding, auto modes can select speeds between 1/3 stops (i.e. 1/45th). Am I incorrect?

I think Av/Tv is pointless with flash of course.

Jay Khaos

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2013, 10:31:02 AM »

To be honest, what should piss you is refusal to learn, not preference to use a simpler method when conditions allow.

+1

I use manual 90% of the time, but won't hesitate to use Av on my 5DIII in a pinch
5DIII | 85mm f1.2L • 70-200mm f2.8L IS II • 50mm f1.8 II

Invertalon

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2013, 10:31:46 AM »
I practically live in AV mode... I only use M when needed, and it is quite rare.

Try using manual mode during a live performance with constantly changing back and front lights, considerably changing the exposure. Your manual mode would be dead in the water. By the time you changed settings the light would change again.  AV + exposure compensation and I am good to go. I can look at most scenes and have an idea what EV I will need prior to me taking the shot. I generally nail my exposures.

I hate "M-mode" snobs...

crasher8

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2013, 10:35:31 AM »
Love Av for candids and street, besides those always M. What ANYONE ELSE DOES…..is none of my business. Having things like that 'upset' you, well there's meds for that.

Rocguy

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2013, 10:37:28 AM »
I taught myself how to get out of Auto mode on my camera by shooting in Av mode. But I was continually frustrated at what the camera was doing, bumping up the iso too high or too slow on the shutter speed. So I forced myself to go fully manual. Shooting anything other than in M now seems like a step backwards in technique. I do use autofocus tho!

I understand when people say the need for speed on a certain shot means they'll use a non manual setting. But I don't like giving up control of the camera to the camera itself.

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2013, 10:43:37 AM »
People who criticize others annoy me, especially for such a silly reason!

For me M-mode is only useful in two cases:

1. When I use my TS lenses and want to shift. I meter before shifting then put it to Manual.
The reason is that shifting fools the exposure meter.

2. When shooting flash. I want to control speed and aperture. It's as simple as that. Flash is used in TTL mode with no ... annoying - pun not intended -  preflashes and arbitrary selections of speed and/or aperture. I guess people who use E-TTL should annoy me but surprisingly they don't  ;D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2013, 10:43:37 AM »

rmt3rd

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
    • Richard Thigpen Photography
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2013, 10:46:20 AM »

Try using manual mode during a live performance with constantly changing back and front lights, considerably changing the exposure. Your manual mode would be dead in the water. By the time you changed settings the light would change again.  AV + exposure compensation and I am good to go. I can look at most scenes and have an idea what EV I will need prior to me taking the shot. I generally nail my exposures.

I hate "M-mode" snobs...

I disagree with this.  I shoot live concerts on a professional level and always use manual.  Because of the ever so changing lights, the camera is constantly choosing the wrong shutter speed for me.  It's all about preference and what we are comfortable with.  I shoot manual everything and I nail my exposures 95% of the time with concert photography and wedding photography.  The more you practice, the better you get.  I can look at most scenes and have an idea of what my shutter speed/aperture I will need prior to me taking a shot.  This comes with practice.  You practice with AV mode and I practice with M mode.  You've mastered the AV mode and I've mastered the M mode.  It's not about being a snob, it's about preferences and what works for you and your style and ability.

unfocused

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2013, 10:47:23 AM »
There is a reason "P" stands for professional.  Haven't you ever heard of "f8 and be there?"

Get over it.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2013, 10:47:23 AM »