September 03, 2014, 03:15:16 AM

Author Topic: People that don't shoot in manual...  (Read 26655 times)

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Re: People that don't shoot in manual...
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2013, 10:47:48 AM »
+1 for flash in M mode. AV-TV is dead weight when you need to control ambient/flash exposure.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2013, 10:47:48 AM »

paul13walnut5

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2013, 10:49:04 AM »
Stills.  Shoot how you want.

Video.  Manual, including focus.

tomscott

• 6D
  • Graphic Designer & Photographer
    • View Profile
    • Tom Scott | Photography
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2013, 10:52:52 AM »
I like using AV, generally my shots come out spot on and use exposure compensation when needed. Makes getting those spur of the moments easier, especially at weddings.

I think you use whats best for you, M is best when I know the camera will struggle otherwise AV works great for me.
5D MKIII, 16-35mm F2.8 II L, 24-70mm F2.8 L, 24-105mm F4 IS L, 100mm F2.8 IS L, 70-200mm F2.8 IS II L, 50mm F1.8, 2x Ex, 580EX
BU: 40D,17-55mm F2.8 IS
www.tomscottphotography.co.uk

AprilForever

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • AprilForever.com
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2013, 10:55:41 AM »
Hilarious statement. Why care what anyone uses for settings unless you are looking to problem solve a particular issue? If it works for you, great. When I talk to a new photographer or a beginner, I "suggest" some options....  :)

PS, I love the auto ISO implementation on my 1DX ;)

Actually, I think that manual is the best mode for a beginning photographer. I shoot manual nearly all the time. I shoot mostly wildlife and landscapes. It is a matter of reading the light and making adjustments accordingly.

I need a third wheel for my 7D, to adjust ISO, and I will be good!
What is truth?

LewisShermer

• EOS M2
  • point shoot hope
    • View Profile
    • Business!
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2013, 10:57:43 AM »
There is a reason "P" stands for professional.  Haven't you ever heard of "f8 and be there?"

Get over it.

why use f8 when f1.4 is available?
5Diii, 1Dsiii, 60D, 500D, EX580, loads of crappy flash guns... 28mm 1.8, Sigma 35mm 1.4 Art, 50mm 1.4, 100mm macro 2.8, 24-105mm 4L, 70-200mm 2.8L, lensbaby composer...

www.lewismaxwell.co.uk

alipaulphotography

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2013, 11:08:56 AM »
AV mode for when the light conditions are changing rapidly such as on a sunny day. You will miss many moments trying to adjust shutter speed in situations like these.

Manual mode gets used when in low light and the camera is selecting shutter speeds lower than the length of the lens. eg - Camera selecting 1/60th when shooting with a 135mm.

It doesn't really matter about how people shoot with as long as they get results. The proof is in the pudding.
alipaul.com

gferdinandsen

• EOS M2
  • was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker
    • View Profile
    • Home
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2013, 11:12:09 AM »
I find your blanket statement more than a little judgemental.  I almost always shoot in Aperture Priority mode using exposure compensation as needed.  I don't have time to try to fiddle around and find just the right combination of Aperture and Time for my prefered aperture.  I always shoot manual ISO.  Frankly, it's just a hell of a lot easier letting the camera choose the exposure time value than trying to figure it out myself.

Also, I learned to shoot on film (EOS 1V).  With transpariencies, if you do not nail the exposure on the head, say good bye to the shot, so I learned to let the camera do it's job.
1v HS, 5D3, 60 Da, 40D (IR), G1-X, 17-40L, 24-70L (Mk II), 24-105L, 70-200L (2.8 Mk 1), 24 TS-E L (Mk 1), 45 TS-E, 50 1.2L, 100 L Macro -- CPS Gold Membership

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2013, 11:12:09 AM »

kirispupis

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2013, 11:15:09 AM »
What a load of bull.  I happen to shoot almost always in manual myself (manual exposure, focus, and lighting), but just because that meets my needs does not mean it translates to others'.  There are times when I shift out of manual - let ETTL determine the flash, use AF, or even use P mode - and each of those decisions is dictated by the needs and the environment.

Every time some photographer comes out and dictates you "must" do something or you are a moron, it just illustrates the limits of their own understanding of photography.
5D3|TS-E 24 II|TS-E 17|TS-E 90|200-400/1.4x|MP-E 65|100/2.8 IS Macro|70-200/2.8 IS II||16-35/2.8 II|EOS M

rs

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2013, 11:18:15 AM »
For most of my commercial work, speed is of the essence. As a result I typically need to know the exposure is sorted out for me - composition and timing is far more important than having the satisfaction of knowing I tweaked every last little setting on the camera to technically pull it off.

When I need to control DoF (events such as weddings), I shoot Av, and tweak the ISO to suit to keep the shutter speed the right ball park as is needed. When I need to control shutter speed (such as sports), Tv. Same thing, keep an eye on aperture and tweak the ISO when needed. I also freely use exposure compensation to suit. Only when shooting with a flash do I use M.

To improve my speed and control, from time to time I would really like even more automation - the ability to use M, select the aperture and shutter speed for the task in hand, and have auto ISO with exposure compensation at the same time. That way when shooting action shots (or anything really), I can finely control DoF and motion blur, and know the exposure will be worked out for me, with my desired compensation dialled in. To make that work fast it would require three control dials, so the current Canon bodies couldn't handle it even with a firmware update...
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 11:21:58 AM by rs »
5D II | 24-70 II | 70-200 II | 100L | 40 | Sigma 50/1.4 | 40D | 10-22 | 17-55 | 580 EX II | 1.4x TC II

AJ

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2013, 11:21:00 AM »
For me, outdoors = AV, indoors = M

BoneDoc

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2013, 11:24:12 AM »
Let me ask all you manual people:  Do you use the light meter on your camera, or do you eyeball the exposure?

Chances are, if you use the camera's meter, you're doing the same thing as the rest of us in Av or TV mode.  They do carry more flexibility with changing exposure, and when we're chasing our kids around.  I readily use the EV to get my picture to look the way I want it to, and within 3 stops, the results are about the same.  Over time, you learn a few things, like underexpose by 2/3 stop when looking at darker folliages, etc.  That's the same decision you're making when you choose to "underexpose" on M what your meter is telling you.

Let's say I'm doing portraits, I'm usually in Av mode, to control my DOF.  As long as my shutter speed isn't too slow, that's fine with me.  I'll even leave the ISO in auto, to give the camera flexibility with this.  If I find that my shutter speed is too slow in general, then I'll take over the ISO and bump it up myself.  Vice versa if I'm trying to slow the shutter down.

Same goes for action shots, except that I'm doing it in Tv now.  If I don't like my typical aperture calculated by the camera, then I'll take over the ISO myself and choose accordingly.

Even in flash, I'll readily use TTL with either Av or Tv, or manual :), but I'll add or subtract flash power to get the look I want. 

Even in manual mode, if you leve your ISO in auto, then the camera will find the "correct" exposure for you, and then you can adjust accordingly based on your previous shot.  When the lighting is ALWAYS the same (such as shooting in a studio), then manual makes the most sense.  But if I'm shooting at a dark shadow in one moment, and into the sun the next, I find manual to be too clunky for those purposes.

I realize there are car afficionados out there who love their stick shift, but why not take advantage of the dual clutch auto and all the extra speed it gives you :).

schill

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2013, 11:24:56 AM »
People who think everyone should shoot the way they do...

ahsanford

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2013, 11:25:57 AM »

Wow, the OP really nailed it with this thread.  Can we start talking about how we hate people who don't lift their pinkie when they drink wine?   :P

Av is a powerful tool for getting a shot quickly where you don't have a chance to make a correction and reshoot.  Think non-studio places where you can't dial things in (which everywhere I shoot).  Av + EV comp is effectively manual control without wasting time nailing exposure, or, conversely, a priority scheme that places exposure above shutter speed.  If your scene is constantly changing, Manual shooting is simply slower and less consistent. 

This is just a question of what works for you.  Av has been stellar for me for years.  I only go M if I'm doing bulb or flash work.

- A

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2013, 11:25:57 AM »

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2013, 11:26:04 AM »
Let me ask all you manual people:  Do you use the light meter on your camera, or do you eyeball the exposure?
;D  ;D  ;D

BoneDoc

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2013, 11:30:41 AM »
For most of my commercial work, speed is of the essence. As a result I typically need to know the exposure is sorted out for me - composition and timing is far more important than having the satisfaction of knowing I tweaked every last little setting on the camera to technically pull it off.

When I need to control DoF (events such as weddings), I shoot Av, and tweak the ISO to suit to keep the shutter speed the right ball park as is needed. When I need to control shutter speed (such as sports), Tv. Same thing, keep an eye on aperture and tweak the ISO when needed. I also freely use exposure compensation to suit. Only when shooting with a flash do I use M.

To improve my speed and control, from time to time I would really like even more automation - the ability to use M, select the aperture and shutter speed for the task in hand, and have auto ISO with exposure compensation at the same time. That way when shooting action shots (or anything really), I can finely control DoF and motion blur, and know the exposure will be worked out for me, with my desired compensation dialled in. To make that work fast it would require three control dials, so the current Canon bodies couldn't handle it even with a firmware update...

You beat me to it :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2013, 11:30:41 AM »