April 17, 2014, 01:30:54 AM

Author Topic: People that don't shoot in manual...  (Read 21231 times)

daltech

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
Re: People that don't shoot in manual...
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2013, 11:50:11 AM »
Entertaining post Lewis.

Some people worry about if/when aliens will take them away, some other about other photographer's use of their gear.

Others mean and results are irrelevant to me, I'm having fun ! And enjoy the excellent photography many other photographers produce.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2013, 11:50:11 AM »

LewisShermer

• Rebel T5i
  • point shoot hope
    • View Profile
    • Business!
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2013, 12:01:38 PM »
Walk into a situation, eg, a dark church, a well lit house with big windows, outside in the pouring rain... you'll pretty much know the combination you'll need. I haven't bought a bunch of primes that open up to 1.4 so I can shoot at f8 (unless it's wedding groups and then I might as well use a 24-105 to save on leg work). I know what aperture I want to work at, I know what shutter speed I can physically get away with, all that's left is ISO and it's the environment that dictates that. the only situation that's really going to change dramatically is on a sunny day with clouds going over. set ISO to 100 and adjust shutter speed accordingly...

Just saying...
5Diii, 60D, 500D, EX580, loads of crappy flash guns... 28mm 1.8, Sigma 35mm 1.4 Art, 50mm 1.4, 100mm macro 2.8, 24-105mm 4L, 70-200mm 2.8L, lensbaby composer...

www.lewismaxwell.co.uk

AcutancePhotography

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2013, 12:07:26 PM »
I think we are missing the point of the OP's post.  We were *supposed* to be impressed and awestruck with Lewis' awesomeness at shooting only manual while Kelby, Peterson, Freeman, and the rest of those noobs use multiple settings.  What do they know?

Allow me to correct this.

(ahem)

Lewis, you are awesome for only shooting in manual.  That takes a lot of skill and experience and truly shows that you are commited to both the art and science of photography. 
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light

LewisShermer

• Rebel T5i
  • point shoot hope
    • View Profile
    • Business!
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2013, 12:09:33 PM »
Entertaining post Lewis.

Some people worry about if/when aliens will take them away, some other about other photographer's use of their gear.

Others mean and results are irrelevant to me, I'm having fun ! And enjoy the excellent photography many other photographers produce.

:)

to be fair, I thought I'd just stir it up a little. what works works. I guess it's a confidence thing. If you get the results you want from the way you shoot then kudos to you.
5Diii, 60D, 500D, EX580, loads of crappy flash guns... 28mm 1.8, Sigma 35mm 1.4 Art, 50mm 1.4, 100mm macro 2.8, 24-105mm 4L, 70-200mm 2.8L, lensbaby composer...

www.lewismaxwell.co.uk

m

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2013, 12:10:40 PM »
And that's not so accurate all the time...

More often than manual focus for me. Do you never use auto focus?

LewisShermer

• Rebel T5i
  • point shoot hope
    • View Profile
    • Business!
« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2013, 12:12:25 PM »
I think we are missing the point of the OP's post.  We were *supposed* to be impressed and awestruck with Lewis' awesomeness at shooting only manual while Kelby, Peterson, Freeman, and the rest of those noobs use multiple settings.  What do they know?

Allow me to correct this.

(ahem)

Lewis, you are awesome for only shooting in manual.  That takes a lot of skill and experience and truly shows that you are commited to both the art and science of photography.

only 16 years... and I'm still learning ;)

www.lewismaxwell.co.uk

ahsanford

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2013, 12:17:10 PM »

Glad we licked that problem.

When do we start the thread on how to pee standing up?  I was really looking for some pointers there.

- A

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2013, 12:17:10 PM »

LewisShermer

• Rebel T5i
  • point shoot hope
    • View Profile
    • Business!
« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2013, 12:20:34 PM »
And that's not so accurate all the time...

More often than manual focus for me. Do you never use auto focus?

when I first got a dslr I never did as I didn't really understand/trust it, coming from a medium/large format film background. I do now though, I'd be daft not to. I've only been shooting weddings for the last couple of years and my style has changed dramatically since getting the 5Diii and the primes but spending the majority of my time in a studio environment, everything is pretty much controllable so there's no point using anything but manual. I am a product photographer by trade though so it's a pretty technical job... not as technical as the yesteryears of 5x4 film, polaroids, bellows extensions and working out exposures with exposure meters and a tape measure then waiting for half a day til the film is processed to see if you've got it spot on...

www.lewismaxwell.co.uk

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2013, 12:23:48 PM »
When I need to control DoF (events such as weddings), I shoot Av, and tweak the ISO to suit to keep the shutter speed the right ball park as is needed. When I need to control shutter speed (such as sports), Tv. Same thing, keep an eye on aperture and tweak the ISO when needed. I also freely use exposure compensation to suit.

+1, but I will say that Av is much more effective on recent bodies where you can specify a minimum shutter speed, else with a wide angle lens the camera will pick a shutter speed that usually too slow when people are the subject(s).

to be fair, I thought I'd just stir it up a little. what works works.

Well then, allow me to reciprocate.  Lots of *cough* experienced photographers use manual because that was a better approach, in those days of yore.  What happens with an older camera when you set M mode and Auto ISO?  ISO is fixed at 400 - pretty useless.  But with our modern conveniences, like a functional Auto ISO in M mode, the ability to specificy a minimum shutter in Av mode, the ability to limit the range for Auto ISO, etc., the automatic modes are much easier to use.  Get with the times!   :P

Personally, I shoot Av most of the time, Tv occasionally, M mainly for birds in flight and when shooting with studio flash, and almost always Auto ISO - the full customization of the 1D X allows me to restirct the automatically selected parameters to the range I need for the subject(s) I'm shooting. I like not having to think about the exposure, which the 1D X consistently nails if I want it to, and EC takes care of times when I want something different.  But on the much less customizable EOS M, I use M mode with Auto ISO exclusively.

Point is, use the settings you need to get the shots you want.  And don't worry about what settings others use...
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Don Haines

• 1D X
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2013, 12:23:59 PM »
I select the mode based on the subject matter....

For instance, the first picture was shot in manual, and the second one was set to auto :)
The best camera is the one in your hands

cliffwang

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2013, 12:25:28 PM »
Everyone is different.  I basically use M and AV mode about 50/50 time.  If I don't need to care the shutter speed, I will use AV mode; otherwise, I use M mode.  I don't think that's anything wrong when people AV/TV/P modes.  Two of my colleagues using their 5D3 only in AV and P modes.  I think that's okay if they feel the best way to take shoots.
Canon 5D3 | Samyang 14mm F/2.8 | Sigma 50mm F/1.4 | Tamron 24-70mm F/2.8 VC | Canon 70-200mm F/2.8 IS MK2 | Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro L | Canon Closed-up 500D | 430EX | Kenko 2x Teleplus Pro 300 | Manfrotto Tripod

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2013, 12:25:34 PM »
For instance, the first picture was shot in manual, and the second one was set to auto :)

I DON'T want to see your picture of P mode...  :o
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2013, 12:32:55 PM »

I realize there are car afficionados out there who love their stick shift, but why not take advantage of the dual clutch auto and all the extra speed it gives you :).

Oh man..you had the analogy going VERY well, until the end there with the car attempt....<P>

For a sports car, especially a high end sports car, you want a manual transmission...if not for resale value, but for performance.

You're generally gonna get the better times and stats with manual over automatic, if you know how to drive the manual...

I've never owned a car with auto transmission, and only one car have I ever owned had more than 2 seats (that one was an '86 911 Turbo, but those rear seats aren't really useable for anything but 2x bags of groceries).....

LOL...anyway, good thoughts on the camera, but ugh...a sports car with auto transmission? A waste of good steel....

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2013, 12:32:55 PM »

The_Arsonist

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
    • Casey Roberts Photography
« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2013, 12:34:28 PM »
I'm surprised to see everyone saying they only use flash in M mode. While I am normally in M for flash work, I sometimes shoot flash in Av mode with a locked ISO so that the changes in ambient light will be picked up automatically by the shutter changes. Of course, I guess that is assuming manual flash; many people probably stick to E-TTL?
Fuji X100s
50D with Katzeye-------FL 55 1.2 (EdMika)--------Sigma 70-200 2.8 OS-------Rokinon 8mm Fisheye

RLPhoto

• 1D X
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2013, 12:38:25 PM »
I'm surprised to see everyone saying they only use flash in M mode. While I am normally in M for flash work, I sometimes shoot flash in Av mode with a locked ISO so that the changes in ambient light will be picked up automatically by the shutter changes. Of course, I guess that is assuming manual flash; many people probably stick to E-TTL?

Using Av for flash and with a locked ISO will affect the one thing flash photographers need to control the most... shutter speed. If we can't control our shutter speed, we can't control how much ambient is mixed with our flash.

IE: Bounced flash mixing with ambient at a reception, event or mixed lighting situation.
24LII - 50L - 135L
---------------------------------
www.RamonLperez.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2013, 12:38:25 PM »