October 24, 2014, 07:39:38 AM

Author Topic: People that don't shoot in manual...  (Read 28758 times)

LewisShermer

• EOS M2
  • point shoot hope
    • View Profile
    • Business!
Re: People that don't shoot in manual...
« Reply #45 on: July 30, 2013, 12:39:51 PM »

I realize there are car afficionados out there who love their stick shift, but why not take advantage of the dual clutch auto and all the extra speed it gives you :).

Oh man..you had the analogy going VERY well, until the end there with the car attempt....<P>
:)

For a sports car, especially a high end sports car, you want a manual transmission...if not for resale value, but for performance.

You're generally gonna get the better times and stats with manual over automatic, if you know how to drive the manual...

I've never owned a car with auto transmission, and only one car have I ever owned had more than 2 seats (that one was an '86 911 Turbo, but those rear seats aren't really useable for anything but 2x bags of groceries).....

LOL...anyway, good thoughts on the camera, but ugh...a sports car with auto transmission? A waste of good steel....

OMGzzzz!!1!!one!1!!!!!! I'd never even drive an automatic! I am British though, and those things are quite rare here. Why would you let the car decide what gear you need to be in?

I'm possibly the only person that will survive when the robots take over, it appears.
5Diii, 1Dsiii, 60D, 500D, EX580, loads of crappy flash guns... 28mm 1.8, Sigma 35mm 1.4 Art, 50mm 1.4, 100mm macro 2.8, 24-105mm 4L, 70-200mm 2.8L, lensbaby composer...

www.lewismaxwell.co.uk

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: July 30, 2013, 12:39:51 PM »

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 30, 2013, 12:43:00 PM »
For instance, the first picture was shot in manual, and the second one was set to auto :)

I DON'T want to see your picture of P mode...  :o
Sorry Neuro...... I just couldn't resist posting it....
The best camera is the one in your hands

insanitybeard

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 30, 2013, 12:47:14 PM »
I nearly always use manual.... but then that's a throwback to my younger days when I used a Pentax MX (Dad's), and that was the only choice you had.... it's what I'm most comfortable using, but it isn't ideal for everything- as has already been said, how about fast tracking of subjects in rapidly changing light conditions?
7D / EF-S 10-22 / 17-40L / 70-200 f4L IS / EF-S 60 macro

rpt

• Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 30, 2013, 12:53:52 PM »

I realize there are car afficionados out there who love their stick shift, but why not take advantage of the dual clutch auto and all the extra speed it gives you :).

Oh man..you had the analogy going VERY well, until the end there with the car attempt....<P>

For a sports car, especially a high end sports car, you want a manual transmission...if not for resale value, but for performance.

You're generally gonna get the better times and stats with manual over automatic, if you know how to drive the manual...

I've never owned a car with auto transmission, and only one car have I ever owned had more than 2 seats (that one was an '86 911 Turbo, but those rear seats aren't really useable for anything but 2x bags of groceries).....

LOL...anyway, good thoughts on the camera, but ugh...a sports car with auto transmission? A waste of good steel....

OMGzzzz!!1!!one!1!!!!!! I'd never even drive an automatic! I am British though, and those things are quite rare here. Why would you let the car decide what gear you need to be in?

I'm possibly the only person that will survive when the robots take over, it appears.
+1
Driving an automatic is like shooting in the green rectangle mode. I must admit I used it (the green rectangle) in 2004 when I got my 300D first. Like Neuro said, the auto ISO works fairly well for me (though probably not as well as on the 1DX) so when I am lazy (which is more often than I'd care to admit) or when i am shooting where the light is going to vary, I set it on M, set the shutter speed and aperture and set ISO to auto and then frame and fire.

crasher8

« Reply #49 on: July 30, 2013, 12:54:54 PM »
You should not be a photographer. You have a destiny as a Life Coach. tell us more how we should live our lives! Write a book, Go on tour with Eckhart Tolle, hasn't Oprah called you yet?

J.R.

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 30, 2013, 01:18:35 PM »

+1
Driving an automatic is like shooting in the green rectangle mode.

Is that so? I shoot manual mostly and not averse to shooting in the AV/TV mode. However, I do drive automatic cars but thats probably because I don't want to make a gazillion gear shifts while driving on the streets in New Delhi.
5D3, 6D, 600D, RX100
16-35L, 24-70L II, 70-200L II, 100-400L, 50L, 85L II, 135L, 24TSE, 40, 100 macro, 18-55 II, 55-250 II, 600RT x 4
I come here to learn something new, not to learn how bad my gear is - I know that already ;-)!

m

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 30, 2013, 01:38:19 PM »
working out exposures with exposure meters

Sure, the exposure meter in the camera only sees the reflected light, which is not necessarily accurate.
But I'd say they do a pretty good job in the general case.

What's so different about having the camera adjust according to the meter reading itself automatically instead of doing it by hand?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: July 30, 2013, 01:38:19 PM »

Rocky

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 30, 2013, 02:06:04 PM »
Each one have their own way of shooting. I do not think there is a definite right or wrong way. In the "good old days" most camera did not even have an built-in exposure meter. People are really shooting '"Full manual". The exposure is determined by the person behind the camera. Most of them are doing okay by doing exposure bracketing and wasted a lot of film.
With the modern DSLR, we have all the modern convenience. Also you  can adjust the picture at post.  So the main thing is to get the picture and how we got it does not matter. Even the original poster is using exposure meter. That is part of the modern convenience.

dstppy

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 30, 2013, 02:18:49 PM »
I row my own in the car . . . but I ain't going to tell the cylinders which order to fire in . . .

Speaking of mileage, I'm surprised how much this thread gotten . . .
Canon Rumors is presently creating photographer shortages in Middle Earth (all the trolls emigrated here)

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 30, 2013, 02:36:12 PM »

Not quite...you'll have the Amish and the Luddites for company.   ;)
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

crasher8

« Reply #55 on: July 30, 2013, 02:37:24 PM »

Not quite...you'll have the Amish and the Luddites for company.   ;)

It's about time those two groups had a new Great Leader.

Wilmark

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • Wilmark Johnatty Photography
« Reply #56 on: July 30, 2013, 02:38:27 PM »
While I dont think the OP deserves a reply, i will still give one, because like the Raw issue there are a lot photogs who go round misconception that because they insist on shooting raw or fully manual makes them stand out. This is more of a bigoted question rather than one about photography. Photography is not about equipment and settings. But I will respond from the equipment position. I have been in many situations where I have lost the shot due to adjusting the camera. So unless you are in control of the situation - like still life or shooting a model, you want the quickest most convenient set up for each scenario. Personally I only work in manual when i am in control of the lighting. In general I would use AV during the day when the light is good and use TV when the lighting is suppressed. Other than that I would use specific settings beyond that when there is the need for a specific shot - for example depth of field and to show a certain amount of motion or long exposure etc. To believe that you always need to be in manual OR even get annoyed when others do it is truly something else NOT Photography - possibly one that requires psychiatric intervention.

BTW - did you manually apply that 'instagram look' that many of your photos on your website have one by one shot by shot - or did you create a filter and just apply them 'automatically'?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 02:49:42 PM by Wilmark »

Viggo

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 30, 2013, 02:48:13 PM »
First off, I'm glad you only get annoyed over important things ::)

I don't shoot manual, except with flash, because that would simply cause a lot of wrongly exposed shots for me. Why on earth would I for example limit my shutter to 1/500s (In M) if the light suddenly changes and I could have 1/4000s? A conert for example, would you rather shoot 1000 images at 1/250s and hope, or would you like to have those explosive images where all the light go boom and the artist jumps perfectly frozen?

The way I shoot is always in Av and auto-iso and I set my shutterspeed range. Out with the kids, aperture set for dof, usually wide open. Auto-iso between two values I'm comfortable with and limit my lower shutter to 1/1000s or 1/2000s.

That way I always have perfectly exposed images, without motion blur, in the shadow, in a playhouse and out in the sun, all in the same 12 fps burst, try to dial that fast in M.... I also have shot so much with the 1dX it's very easy to know when to turn the right thumb a little for a little EC. (My cam is set to have 0 EV to +5/8)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 02:49:58 PM by Viggo »
1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #57 on: July 30, 2013, 02:48:13 PM »

BoneDoc

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 30, 2013, 02:55:34 PM »
Slightly OT here, but you guys do realize that a DUAL CLUTCH auto with shift faster than your standard stick shift right?

FWIW, I drive a manual transimision car.  My first one was that way also.  But the new gen dual clutch auto will beat it hands down.  Even then, with paddle shifters, you can still be in control of which gear does what. :)

http://www.ferrari.com/English/GT_Sport%20Cars/CurrentRange/458-Italia/Innovation_Technologies/Pages/Article-090914-458-Italia-Gearbox.aspx

Now back to our regularly programed interruptions and distractions.

kphoto99

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 30, 2013, 02:57:41 PM »
My first SLR was an AE-1, so I was used to Tv mode, now I mostly use P, here is why:
On my camera when in the P mode you can change the shutter speed with the shuttle wheel.
This way I get to choose the speed or aperture that you want and the camera adjusts the other setting for each shot. I find this the fastest way of shooting. Life is to quick to make tons of adjustments all the time.

The M mode is reserved for when I have lots of time to setup the shot and make sure everything is correct.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #59 on: July 30, 2013, 02:57:41 PM »