October 24, 2014, 09:53:51 AM

Author Topic: People that don't shoot in manual...  (Read 28761 times)

rs

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
Re: People that don't shoot in manual...
« Reply #60 on: July 30, 2013, 02:59:41 PM »

I realize there are car afficionados out there who love their stick shift, but why not take advantage of the dual clutch auto and all the extra speed it gives you :).

Oh man..you had the analogy going VERY well, until the end there with the car attempt....<P>
:)

For a sports car, especially a high end sports car, you want a manual transmission...if not for resale value, but for performance.

You're generally gonna get the better times and stats with manual over automatic, if you know how to drive the manual...

I've never owned a car with auto transmission, and only one car have I ever owned had more than 2 seats (that one was an '86 911 Turbo, but those rear seats aren't really useable for anything but 2x bags of groceries).....

LOL...anyway, good thoughts on the camera, but ugh...a sports car with auto transmission? A waste of good steel....

OMGzzzz!!1!!one!1!!!!!! I'd never even drive an automatic! I am British though, and those things are quite rare here. Why would you let the car decide what gear you need to be in?

I'm possibly the only person that will survive when the robots take over, it appears.
I prefer manuals, but I would settle for an F-Type
5D II | 24-70 II | 70-200 II | 100L | 40 | Sigma 50/1.4 | 40D | 10-22 | 17-55 | 580 EX II | 1.4x TC II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #60 on: July 30, 2013, 02:59:41 PM »

JohanCruyff

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 30, 2013, 03:03:45 PM »
People that don't shoot in manual...
...annoy me even more than those that don't shoot in raw.

Talking about fetish, I find annoying  >:(  people who don't use lens hoods.

I shoot AV (+ exposure compensation if needed) 90% of the time on my 5D classic.
Recently, thanks to Auto-ISO on my EOS M, I started to shoot mainly in Manual mode (just because the shutter speed calculated by AV is generally too slow, and because Neuroanatomist suggested so).

Italian amateur. Gear: i) 5d Classic, 17-40 F/4 L, 24-105mm F/4 IS L, 100mm F/2.8 IS L, 70-200 F/4 IS L. & EOS M, 22 F/2, 18-55 + Mount Adapter, 55-250 F/4-5.6 IS STM
ii) Wife: Canon G12
iii) First Daughter: Canon 1100D, 18-55 IS iv) Son: Canon A1000IS v) Second Daughter: Nikon L21

LewisShermer

• EOS M2
  • point shoot hope
    • View Profile
    • Business!
« Reply #62 on: July 30, 2013, 03:12:41 PM »
While I dont think the OP deserves a reply, i will still give one, because like the Raw issue there are a lot photogs who go round misconception that because they insist on shooting raw or fully manual makes them stand out. This is more of a bigoted question rather than one about photography. Photography is not about equipment and settings. But I will respond from the equipment position. I have been in many situations where I have lost the shot due to adjusting the camera. So unless you are in control of the situation - like still life or shooting a model, you want the quickest most convenient set up for each scenario. Personally I only work in manual when i am in control of the lighting. In general I would use AV during the day when the light is good and use TV when the lighting is suppressed. Other than that I would use specific settings beyond that when there is the need for a specific shot - for example depth of field and to show a certain amount of motion or long exposure etc. To believe that you always need to be in manual OR even get annoyed when others do it is truly something else NOT Photography - possibly one that requires psychiatric intervention.

BTW - did you manually apply that 'instagram look' that many of your photos on your website have one by one shot by shot - or did you create a filter and just apply them 'automatically'?

Not only did you give me a reply that I did not deserve, you also gave me your opinion on my character, your life story, your shooting technique, a sleight on my mental disposition and a critique (rather negatively) on my photography and processing skills. I'd like to first of all thank you for your unsolicited advice on the aforementioned but just to clarify, that 'instagram look' is achieved by using curves to mimic the cross processing technique popularised in the 70's fashion world. It's quite a nice look I personally feel as images straight from a digital camera, especially the colours, seem to lack a certain romance. I just try and put the romance back into it :)

You seem to have taken my light hearted banter a little personally. If you point me in the direction of your online work I can also judge accordingly and give you appropriate feedback?
5Diii, 1Dsiii, 60D, 500D, EX580, loads of crappy flash guns... 28mm 1.8, Sigma 35mm 1.4 Art, 50mm 1.4, 100mm macro 2.8, 24-105mm 4L, 70-200mm 2.8L, lensbaby composer...

www.lewismaxwell.co.uk

rs

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 30, 2013, 03:14:38 PM »
Talking about fetish, I find annoying  >:(  people who don't use lens hoods.
I find it amusing when people shoot with the lens hood reversed on the lens. Is it just me, or are they mostly Nikon shooters?  ::)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 03:16:32 PM by rs »
5D II | 24-70 II | 70-200 II | 100L | 40 | Sigma 50/1.4 | 40D | 10-22 | 17-55 | 580 EX II | 1.4x TC II

BoneDoc

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 30, 2013, 03:25:08 PM »
While I dont think the OP deserves a reply, i will still give one, because like the Raw issue there are a lot photogs who go round misconception that because they insist on shooting raw or fully manual makes them stand out. This is more of a bigoted question rather than one about photography. Photography is not about equipment and settings. But I will respond from the equipment position. I have been in many situations where I have lost the shot due to adjusting the camera. So unless you are in control of the situation - like still life or shooting a model, you want the quickest most convenient set up for each scenario. Personally I only work in manual when i am in control of the lighting. In general I would use AV during the day when the light is good and use TV when the lighting is suppressed. Other than that I would use specific settings beyond that when there is the need for a specific shot - for example depth of field and to show a certain amount of motion or long exposure etc. To believe that you always need to be in manual OR even get annoyed when others do it is truly something else NOT Photography - possibly one that requires psychiatric intervention.

BTW - did you manually apply that 'instagram look' that many of your photos on your website have one by one shot by shot - or did you create a filter and just apply them 'automatically'?

Not only did you give me a reply that I did not deserve, you also gave me your opinion on my character, your life story, your shooting technique, a sleight on my mental disposition and a critique (rather negatively) on my photography and processing skills. I'd like to first of all thank you for your unsolicited advice on the aforementioned but just to clarify, that 'instagram look' is achieved by using curves to mimic the cross processing technique popularised in the 70's fashion world. It's quite a nice look I personally feel as images straight from a digital camera, especially the colours, seem to lack a certain romance. I just try and put the romance back into it :)

You seem to have taken my light hearted banter a little personally. If you point me in the direction of your online work I can also judge accordingly and give you appropriate feedback?

lol... can we all just hug and get along :)?

tpatana

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 30, 2013, 03:32:06 PM »
Lol, that's interesting thing to get mad about.

On my XTi, I used 95% Av.

On my 7D, I used 50/50 Av and M

On my 5D3, I use 90% M (with Auto-ISO), but there's situations when Av is much better. Usually in bright but changing conditions, I set F and ISO on Av, and let the camera deal with shutter speed, e.g. F2.8/ISO100 and then shutter speed around 1/400....1/4000, depending on the shot.

If OP can't do that, it's his loss. Many times you can't freeze the moment to dial in proper exposure, so it's MUCH better to get the shot with the exposure the camera feels good, instead of dialing in the correct exposure and miss the shot.

thepancakeman

• Canon 7D MK II
  • If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 30, 2013, 03:52:50 PM »
I guess I'm just going to have to annoy you then, unless someone can enlighten me how to manually shoot cyclists traveling at 30+ mph (50+ kph for you non-yanks) going both directions on opposite sides of the street (it's an out-and-back time trial, for you cycling fans) under shifting cloud conditions and alternating shadows with a very near 100% hit rate.   ???
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 04:03:23 PM by thepancakeman »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #66 on: July 30, 2013, 03:52:50 PM »

RAKAMRAK

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 30, 2013, 04:13:51 PM »
It annoys me immensely when people keep on wasting time on useless forum posts instead of actually taking photographs.... Now I am annoying myself.....
Need to learn a lot more.
My Flickr Page

Famateur

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 30, 2013, 04:16:05 PM »

I realize there are car afficionados out there who love their stick shift, but why not take advantage of the dual clutch auto and all the extra speed it gives you :).

Oh man..you had the analogy going VERY well, until the end there with the car attempt....<P>

For a sports car, especially a high end sports car, you want a manual transmission...if not for resale value, but for performance.

You're generally gonna get the better times and stats with manual over automatic, if you know how to drive the manual...

I've never owned a car with auto transmission, and only one car have I ever owned had more than 2 seats (that one was an '86 911 Turbo, but those rear seats aren't really useable for anything but 2x bags of groceries).....

LOL...anyway, good thoughts on the camera, but ugh...a sports car with auto transmission? A waste of good steel....

I'm going to have to agree with BoneDoc on this one. When it comes to "high end" sports cars (Ferrari, Aston Martin, et cetera), a good double-clutch auto will usually smoke a manual shift for pure speed. Add the flappy paddles, and you can still choose when the shifting takes place, if you prefer. Along with the fancy gearboxes, there's less and less steel to waste on modern performance cars. Lots of aluminium (aluminum for this yankee), magnesium, carbon fiber... :)

Of course, I'll probably never own such a machine. That said, I personally prefer a manual transmission. :) I enjoy feeling more involved in the driving experience and appreciate the extra control on icy winter roads here in Utah. As with camera gear, to each his own.

I do find it funny when someone says one thing is "better" than another, and then moments later acknowledge that they've never owned the other. Perhaps if your next two-seater is a Ferrari 458 Italia, you might decide you like the double-clutch. :)

Rocky

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 30, 2013, 04:17:02 PM »

OMGzzzz!!1!!one!1!!!!!! I'd never even drive an automatic! I am British though, and those things are quite rare here. Why would you let the car decide what gear you need to be in?

I'm possibly the only person that will survive when the robots take over, it appears.
You can always select your gear manually on the automatic transmission

jasonsim

• EOS M2
  • Hobbyist
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 30, 2013, 04:20:24 PM »
There is a reason "P" stands for professional.  Haven't you ever heard of "f8 and be there?"

Get over it.

why use f8 when f1.4 is available?

This thread is a bit unnerving as some folks seem to think that their way of shooting is the only - best - proper way.  Sometimes there is a need to use full manual mode.  Other times, I want to have shutter be the priority, especially when shooting birds in flight, where the light on the bird might change as I track it.  This is where using DSLR as a tool allows me to concentrate on framing, position of the bird etc.

I am never in fully Auto, but use Av, Tv, and M regularly.  Not sure why this would eat away at you that everyone, at varying levels of expertise, would use modes other than M (manual). 

BTW, sometimes I have a 35mm f/1.4 on my body and need to get more depth of field for say a group shot.  So, stopping the aperture down to f/4, 5.6 or 8, might be appropriate.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 05:33:22 PM by jasonsim »
Cams: Canon 5D3, EOS M
Zooms: 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-70mm f/2.8L II, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II; Primes: 22mm f/2, 40mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L IS, 135mm f/2L, 300mm f/2.8L IS II, 600mm f/4L IS II
Support: Gitzo GT4542LS/G2258, RRS BH-55, Wimberley WH-200

Famateur

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 30, 2013, 04:38:00 PM »
For those who have been shooting manually for eons, it might not occur to you that, in addition to the speed and convenience for some situations already covered in this thread, the Av/Tv/P modes serve as baby-steps for beginners who are intimidated by everything they have to juggle: composition, timing, lighting, focal length, aperture, shutter speed, ISO, et cetera.

While I shoot mostly manually now, I remember how alien all of these things seemed, and it was overwhelming at the time. Perhaps I'm just a slow learner, but it took a while before I was comfortable knowing immediately how each factor affects the captured image -- at least fast enough to use them effectively in the moment. As long as these "semi-auto" modes don't become a crutch that holds a photographer back, I think they're an excellent way of eating the exposure elephant one bite at a time -- in addition to legitimately useful application by "pros", of course.

Shoot what you have, how you want to, and enjoy the photographs you make. Or don't -- it's none of my beeswax anyway... :)

schill

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 30, 2013, 04:53:21 PM »
...annoy me even more than those that don't shoot in raw.

What is it that folk find so difficult about choosing an appropriate shutter speed, the DOF they desire and then selecting the necessary ISO?

Obviously you then make off's where necessary...

I actually tried Tv & Av once, what a palava. settings all over the place, complete lack of control of anything. I have a friend that only shoots in fully auto (a Nikon user) and to look at his exif data is painful... he is a beginner and his composure nor his focussing is spot on yet but he refuses to learn even the simplest things about taking control of his own photography and not letting a daft camera take control.

The only non-manual thing I'll accept is the EX580's ETTL and that's only because it's a right bastard to operate.

so yeah, sell me the other options I've got to work with...

While I would never take a thread like this seriously, there really isn't anything in your first post that implies you are being light-hearted.  It's actually pretty antagonistic.  You basically insulted a lot of people (telling them they don't know what they are doing) and then demanded that they prove themselves to you.

Reminds me of an ongoing thread right now over on dpreview where the op wants to know why everyone doesn't use an 18-200 superzoom and insists that changing lenses is not a good idea.  His replies mostly state that he is talking about "for him" but the original post did not and he keeps defending his position by saying too many people use multiple lenses when they should stick to a superzoom.

Both threads are mildly entertaining, but pretty useless.  I don't expect either op really thought they were useful (at least I hope not).

As far as cars go, I'll stick to my automatic.  I'm just not that into driving - the car just gets me from one place to the other.  Cameras are a lot more interesting.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #72 on: July 30, 2013, 04:53:21 PM »

tpatana

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 30, 2013, 05:04:46 PM »
traveling at 30+ mph (50+ kph for you non-yanks)

A: Most non-yanks know the conversion, although I also tend to include both units to help the readers.

B: The correct would have been km/h, not kph. Just saying.

;)

Wilmark

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • Wilmark Johnatty Photography
« Reply #74 on: July 30, 2013, 05:21:42 PM »
just to clarify, that 'instagram look' is achieved by using curves to mimic the cross processing technique popularised in the 70's fashion world. It's quite a nice look I personally feel as images straight from a digital camera, especially the colours...

:o

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #74 on: July 30, 2013, 05:21:42 PM »