November 28, 2014, 08:58:13 AM

Author Topic: Traveling abroad with photography equipment  (Read 25228 times)

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
Re: Traveling abroad with photography equipment
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2013, 08:00:54 PM »
I have occasionally carried the CBP form but never needed so I stopped carrying it.

Tried to get one stamped for my wife who is traveling soon but they needed her there.  WHY??  They are verifying the equipment was in the US not who owns it.  Typical stupid government agent who does not think.

The only time I have had any questions was entering tanzania one time when some was trying to $ from us as insurance that we would  not sell equipment while in the country.   Basically a shake down.  Not short of a common thief.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2013, 08:00:54 PM »

tpatana

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2013, 08:45:01 PM »
Past couple years I've flown maybe ~10-15 times on international flights, and never had any trouble. Last month I was down to Aruba, carrying gripped 5D3, 24-105, 70-200 2.8 IS II, Sigma 50/1.4, Sigma 14/2.8, EF 2x II, Kenko tubes, 430EX, D10, GoPro, chargers for all 3 cameras, big pile of memory cards (~200GB total), some ~20 rechargeable AA batteries, USB-camera-connection kit for iPad, etc. Nothing at the airport, as usually.

I think twice I've been swiped (for the bomb-detection device, don't know what they call it officially). About year ago arriving to Frankfurt, the x-rayed at arrivals. The border agent comes to me, holding my camera bag:

-You speak English or German?
-Both
-Which one you prefer?
-Either one, I don't care
-Is this your bag?
-Yup
-There's quite plenty of equipment inside
-Yup (about same list as above)
-Would you follow me to inspections room
-Ok

There he asked me to open the bag, swiped it with a rag, machine analyze for ~30 seconds, and then he let me go.

Hillsilly

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2013, 09:10:06 PM »
My random travel tip for the day - You mention insurance, so if you're concerned about gear, don't try to save some money by travelling unreserved 2nd class on the trains for long distances.  It sounds like fun, but the crowds can build up and its not the best place for delicate and expensive equipment.
Camera Obscura

dbduchene

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2013, 09:28:47 PM »
I have travel from the US to Germany, Portugal, Brazil, England, France, Italy, Austria and Vietnam and have not been questioned to date. Last trip had over 30 lbs of gear in a LowPro including a 7D, 5DII and a Xt for the kids to use. 7 lenses (a couple of big white L series) and a flash non of it looks brand new but to date they have never ever looked at my camera bags 
5D, 7D, 5D Mk II, Canon EF 28-300 L, 100-400L, 70-200 F2.8 IS II L, 85 F1.2, 15 MM Fisheye Sigma 50 F1.4, Tamron 17-35 F2.8/4, 28-300 Canon EX 430

JPAZ

• Canon 7D MK II
  • If only I knew what I was doing.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2013, 09:45:35 PM »
I have traveled extensively with gear including DSLR with 2 or three lenses, 5 batteries, charger, laptop, occasional P&S along with this and my wife's camera with 2 lenses.  Trips included everything from Myanmar to Mongolia to Morocco to Nepal to Bhutan to Israel to Egypt to Jordon along with less "exotic" locations.  The only time I was hassled in any way, believe it or not, was in the tiny airport in Hilton Head!  There, the security agent literally opened all the zippers and began pulling out the velcro'd inserts to check my bag.  Everywhere else, I've either just sent it through the scanner or at most, had to take the camera out of the bag and turn it on.

With that in mind, it would be a good idea to have the batteries fully charged in case the inspectors want you to power it up.
5d Mkiii; Eos-M; too many lenses; 430 EXii and a whole lot of stuff

LarryC

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2013, 09:53:06 PM »
I travel to and from the US to Brazil, South Africa, Germany, Sweden and the UK and the only time I had any questions was last week in LAX, and in the TSA pre-screened line at that.  The TSA X-ray guy asked "are those all lenses in that bag with a camera".  I said yes.  Then he paused, stared at me, gave me a skeptical look and asked "why do you need three lenses for one camera?", then had his back-up TSA guy open the bag.   Never had any questions in any other country.

Rocky

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2013, 12:44:04 AM »
Almost all the  airlines outside of U.S. are having weight limit of 7 Kg (15.5 lb) for carry on. Some eevn count thae camera bag as one peice of carry on, not as "personal item". eg. Air Quanta. Once a while, they do enforce the ruleSo just be prepair to have your heavy camera bag to be gate check ( that is what you do not want). Neuro has the right solution.  For me I try to keep my camera bag at less tha 12 lbs and put it in alight wiight bag with the odds and ends.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2013, 12:44:04 AM »

tpatana

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2013, 01:08:26 AM »
"why do you need three lenses for one camera?"

Didn't know my wife works for TSA  :P

AmbientLight

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2013, 01:40:40 AM »
Regarding weight limits for carry-on luggage please check out British Airways.

In my experience they have the best weight limit regulations for hand baggage.
http://www.britishairways.com/travel/bagcabin/public/en_us#

The difference to the sadly common unusually useless 8 kg allowance is striking.

JPAZ

• Canon 7D MK II
  • If only I knew what I was doing.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2013, 02:01:35 AM »
One other hint......Whatever you are carrying needs to "look" like it is not heavy.  I know this sounds silly, but the gate agent is often the one who decides whether a particular bag can come into the cabin.  If it seems to be too heavy, they will check.  If not, there is usually no problem.  I've stuffed quite a bit into a small bag that weighed way more than it looked.  Of course, you cannot / should not over-stuff your camera gear.

;)
5d Mkiii; Eos-M; too many lenses; 430 EXii and a whole lot of stuff

tpatana

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2013, 02:45:13 AM »
Regarding weight limits for carry-on luggage please check out British Airways.

In my experience they have the best weight limit regulations for hand baggage.
http://www.britishairways.com/travel/bagcabin/public/en_us#

The difference to the sadly common unusually useless 8 kg allowance is striking.

Problem with BA is that often you need to fly through Heathrow. I'd rather get my luggage to my destination too.

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2013, 10:31:37 AM »
Past couple years I've flown maybe ~10-15 times on international flights, and never had any trouble. Last month I was down to Aruba, carrying gripped 5D3, 24-105, 70-200 2.8 IS II, Sigma 50/1.4, Sigma 14/2.8, EF 2x II, Kenko tubes, 430EX, D10, GoPro, chargers for all 3 cameras, big pile of memory cards (~200GB total), some ~20 rechargeable AA batteries, USB-camera-connection kit for iPad, etc. Nothing at the airport, as usually.

I think twice I've been swiped (for the bomb-detection device, don't know what they call it officially). About year ago arriving to Frankfurt, the x-rayed at arrivals. The border agent comes to me, holding my camera bag:

-You speak English or German?
-Both
-Which one you prefer?
-Either one, I don't care
-Is this your bag?
-Yup
-There's quite plenty of equipment inside
-Yup (about same list as above)
-Would you follow me to inspections room
-Ok

There he asked me to open the bag, swiped it with a rag, machine analyze for ~30 seconds, and then he let me go.

My camera bag was checked carefully in Frankfurt.  A non-event.  BTW I only speak English, my story is a bit simplier.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2013, 10:31:37 AM »