September 01, 2014, 03:45:06 PM

Author Topic: I used the EOS M to shoot for one of the biggest model agency in America.  (Read 10176 times)

Viggo

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
1/125, f/6.3, ISO 200, 18MM

At the first glance at this one I thought ," Man those legs are crazy long and widespread!" then I saw the girl next to her ;D
1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

canon rumors FORUM

AlanF

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Nice photos!  Proving once again that it is the operator, not the equipment, that rules in the end.

Now, you owe it to those girls to take the money you saved by buying the M instead of another DSLR and get them each a cheeseburger.  They all look like they could use it.

Completely agree to both points.

Was this a shoot for a warning ad against anorexia? Or was it for a remake of Schindler's List with a more authentic looking cast?
5D III, 70D, Powershot SX50, 300/2.8 II, 1.4xTC III, 2xTC III, 70-200/4 IS, 24-105, 15-85, Sigma 10-20, Tamron 150-600.

bycostello

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • London Weddings
just goes to show, once again, it is the photographer and not the camera that takes the picture....

Rienzphotoz

• Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
    • View Profile
Excellent work Taemobig
Canon 5DMK3 70D | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 a6000 | RX100M3 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 10-18/4 OSS 16-50 | 24-70/4OSS | 55/1.8 | 55-210 OSS | 70-200/4 OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | GoPro Black 3+ & DJI Phantom

dilbert

• View Profile
Nice photos!  Proving once again that it is the operator, not the equipment, that rules in the end.

Now, you owe it to those girls to take the money you saved by buying the M instead of another DSLR and get them each a cheeseburger.  They all look like they could use it.

Was this a shoot for a warning ad against anorexia? Or was it for a remake of Schindler's List with a more authentic looking cast?

One thing is for certain, taking pictures of anorexic models is very popular with readers on canonrumors - over 1500 downloads on most of the images. So to use that metric as a basis point, the girls' decision to look anorexic is a winner, so how can you blame them?

Taemobig

• Rebel T5i
  • www.junmapue.com
    • View Profile
    • Jun Mapue Photography

One thing is for certain, taking pictures of anorexic models is very popular with readers on canonrumors - over 1500 downloads on most of the images. So to use that metric as a basis point, the girls' decision to look anorexic is a winner, so how can you blame them?

As much as most people want to say they're too skinny, each girl has contracts and earns $100,000 (lowest) to $1 million a year. If I can make that much money by being skinny, you bet your ass that I will eat salad and hit the gym everyday. Not to mention, they date famous athletes, actors, producers, etc.  (I know for a fact one of the models in the sample photos used to be Kobe's mistress).
5D Mk. III |5D Mk. II | 24-70 2.8L | 70-200 MkII 2.8L IS | 17-40 4.0L | 85 1.8 | 50 1.4|  40 2.8 pancake | 600EX-RT x2

dtaylor

• 6D
    • View Profile

They're not anorexic. You haven't actually seen or known an anorexic girl if you think so.

They are definitely thin/petite. And yes, most men either like that, or it's within the range of what they like.

canon rumors FORUM

Don Haines

• Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile

They're not anorexic. You haven't actually seen or known an anorexic girl if you think so.

They are definitely thin/petite. And yes, most men either like that, or it's within the range of what they like.
None of them look like they could carry my cedar-canvas canoe over a 5K portage..... Not interested.....
The best camera is the one in your hands

Pi

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Math and Photography
Honestly, I do not like them. Uneven lighting, some a bit dull, some of the faces too dark. Shots like those, taken with professional lighting should shine. Weird artifacts in #3, the composition and the wide angle in #4 are questionable. #7 and #8 are really good, and the latter is my favorite. Still, technically, it is a bit dull.

This is just an honest opinion, I have no intention to offend you.

EDIT: I just watched the movie clip, I see where the "artifacts" are coming from (bubbles?). They look good in the movie but not so good in the stills.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 11:37:35 PM by Pi »

Taemobig

• Rebel T5i
  • www.junmapue.com
    • View Profile
    • Jun Mapue Photography
Honestly, I do not like them. Uneven lighting, some a bit dull, some of the faces too dark. Shots like those, taken with professional lighting should shine. Weird artifacts in #3, the composition and the wide angle in #4 are questionable. #7 and #8 are really good, and the latter is my favorite. Still, technically, it is a bit dull.

This is just an honest opinion, I have no intention to offend you.

No offense taken, I know exactly what you mean about the lighting. In my defense this shoot was for a promo video with no stills in mind, these are more "behind-the-scenes" type of photos I did in the middle of the shoot, they weren't post processed either. I would have done it way differently if it was supposed to be a group photoshoot. The weird artifacts in #3 are bubbles from a bubble machine.

Once the video is on their website, I'll post the link here.
5D Mk. III |5D Mk. II | 24-70 2.8L | 70-200 MkII 2.8L IS | 17-40 4.0L | 85 1.8 | 50 1.4|  40 2.8 pancake | 600EX-RT x2

bedspringlex

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
At no time did anyone ask for a critique.  The original poster was trying to just show the potential of the eos m.  You may have not meant to hurt anyone but commenting on simple sample photos from work is too harsh.   Now where they were published in print ad or commercialized  then one has reason to comment.  I find them good examples of the strengths of the eos m.   A little camera that still amazes me with just how good images it captures.

Pi

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Math and Photography
At no time did anyone ask for a critique.  The original poster was trying to just show the potential of the eos m.  You may have not meant to hurt anyone but commenting on simple sample photos from work is too harsh.   Now where they were published in print ad or commercialized  then one has reason to comment.  I find them good examples of the strengths of the eos m.   A little camera that still amazes me with just how good images it captures.

Speaking about the technical IQ only, it is what you can expect from a crop camera and the kit lens. Not bad at all, but... something is not there. No surprises here, and seeing how the M works in great lighting is very useful, actually.

You are right, I should have kept my comments strictly technical.

dtaylor

• 6D
    • View Profile
Speaking about the technical IQ only, it is what you can expect from a crop camera and the kit lens. Not bad at all, but... something is not there.

And that has nothing to do with crop, and everything to do with lighting / exposure / post processing. Which we know was not setup or done for the stills.

canon rumors FORUM

Taemobig

• Rebel T5i
  • www.junmapue.com
    • View Profile
    • Jun Mapue Photography
Re: I used the EOS M to shoot for one of the biggest model agency in America.
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2013, 05:04:00 PM »
Here's the link for the video if you guys wanna check it out:
More Odds Than Even on Vimeo
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 06:01:17 AM by Taemobig »

axtstern

• Rebel T5i
  • EOS M(ediochre)
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2013, 03:33:28 PM »
Somehow People seem to be scared to use the M for a paid Job with  famous customers.
When the world was about a quarter of a century younger I used a EOS 620 with some crapy first generation EF lenses for shots of this kind. Not the camera, not the lenses could stand a comparison to what the M can bring to the field... SO why be afraid?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2013, 03:33:28 PM »