October 23, 2014, 06:19:05 AM

Author Topic: External HDD for backups  (Read 7149 times)

tpatana

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
Re: External HDD for backups
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2013, 04:23:10 PM »
If it's only for backup, speed doesn't really matter, only reliability.

After a shoot when I tell the PC to mirror my photos on 2 external drives, I don't care if it takes 15 minutes or 2 hours. But I do care that I can get the images back when needed.

One of the important items is that never buy 2 discs from same batch, even better if you use different brands. Every brand has had bad batches which have higher than normal failure rates. You don't want both your copies to be on the bad batch discs. Applies both for pure mirroring, and also Raid-5 and such. Especially if you build NAS Raid with several discs, it'd be convenient to buy same brand discs from same batch, but you should think reliability too, not so much convenience.

I currently have ~10TB of drives, but all data (=photos) are mirrored so usable space is ~6TB only. Every drive is from different batch, only one with same brand/size were bought about year apart.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2013, 04:23:10 PM »

CTJohn

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2013, 04:36:24 PM »
I just bought WD My Book 4TB External Hard Drive Storage. Today, it will be used on a USB2 PC, and later, a USB3. After I move the images, I plan to get a Carbonite account, the one that backs up external drives. I'm guessing a new backup of an external drive with ~500GB of images, will day a few days, depending on fast Comcast's upload speed is that day(s)

I don't want to discourage you from using Carbonite, because it's a great service to have, but you should know they throttle uploads to 2-3 GB a day (at least they did when I did my initial backup). It took me months to get my computer initially backed up, and that was less than 400GB of data.
I agree that the Carbonite upload takes forever, particularly the initial and after a photo trip, but the security offsite from my computer makes it worthwhile.
EOS 6D * EOS 7D * EF 24/105 f/4L * EF 70-300 f/4-5.6L * EF 100 f/2.8L Macro * Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3

kyamon

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2013, 04:43:55 PM »
I import at home with LR and have it make a backup copy during the import. Both on non-mirrored external HDD. I have a separate drive that I keep at work and occasionally take home to backup all the new photos to it.

An automatic way of doing this would be via a cloud service, but I don't want that due to cost and security. What I have come across is a (free) tool called AeroFS that lets you set up your own private cloud. I don't actually use this for photos, but it could easily be set up to mirror the folders containing my pictures to a computer that is somewhere else. This has two advantages - one being the backup off-site, and the other one that I have a second (or more) computer that I can work on without having to worry about messing up my catalogue files. And no shady company ever owns or sees my files.
For all the uses that I have AeroFS for, it works flawlessly. It is a bit slower than, for example, dropbox, but it has all the mentioned advantages.

(disclaimer: I don't work for AeroFS - I just like their product)

SithTracy

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2013, 04:59:40 PM »
The Western Digital MyBook drives use a proprietary encryption.  If the micro USB bus should break you will have to pair the data with another WD device of that era to decrypt the data.  I have had a couple of these drives.  Would never store anything important on them for fear of expensive data recovery services.

hediz

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2013, 05:08:05 PM »
I use LR to import from camera then directly another copy to another drive in the PC. Then I use a script to backup these to a Synology NAS with 12TB storage 2+2x3TB RAID 1. Then once a week I backup the NAS to a external(offsite, far away) QNAP NAS with 2x3TB RAID1

Seems advanced but with scripts and the built-in rsync capabilities its pretty straight forward.
EOS 5d mkIII and EOS 450D and some lenses

Lloyd

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
    • BRRLaw
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2013, 06:36:51 PM »
I have an iMac and all my documents, photos and data are stored on a Promise Pegasus configured under raid 5 with about 5TB available and connected via thunderbolt.   I have two external 3tb Seagate GoFlex drives which are connected one at a time via thunderbolt.  I swap the GoFlex’s out every week bringing one to my office.  I use Carbon Copy Cloner to automatically and daily clone the Pegasus to one of the Seagate GoFlex’s.  It clones all the files on the Pegasus to the GoFlex except for Time Machine backups.  I use Time Machine to back up the iMac in separate backups to the both the Pegasus and the GoFlex drive currently connected to the iMac via thunderbolt. 

As a result of this process, I have daily backups of both my data on the Pegasus and my iMac on one of the GoFlex drives and have at least a weekly backup at my office of both the iMac and the Pegasus.  Right now it works well as I have less than the 3tb of data capacity of the GoFlex drives.   The only issue I have noted is that FCPX sees both the projects on the Pegasus and the GoFlex with the same names, as they are duplicates of each other, and gives me a warning, which I have been ignoring and hopefully not at my peril.

I considered an offsite backup such as Carbonite, but I am a control freak and the online transfer speeds were slow especially in the case of a catastrophic failure with the need of a full data recovery.  However, it is my understanding that in the case of a catastrophic loss of data that you can have the offsite storage company such as Carbonite load your data on a hard drive and overnight this to you.  I don’t know the cost associated with this option, but it would speed up a recovery.

P.S.- I would also not recommend the Western Digital MyBook drives.  I had one fail and turn into a brick.  I didn't have anything significant on it other than some old backups that fortunately I did not need.  I like western digital drives but the software associated with this particular product, such as noted by Sith Tracy above, seems to make it more vulnerable. 
5D mkIII, 60D, 20D; 24-70mm f/2.8L; 24-105mm F4L; 70-200mm f/2.8L IS;  TS-E 17mm f/4L; Canon FD 800mm 5.6L; Canon FD 55mm f/1.2;  10-22mm f/3.5-4.5; Canon extenders 1.4X II and 2X II; Canon  580EX and 430EX

corey.kaye

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2013, 06:53:00 PM »
DNS325 which I use all the time to store files on-line.  I don't edit from there as it's too slow (access speeds generally around 20Mb/s).

Once a month I take out a 3Tb external I got cheap ($120) and copy the entire contents of the DNS325 + working files on my PC's C:\ drive.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2013, 06:53:00 PM »

fugu82

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2013, 07:33:17 PM »
Offsite backup of some type is essential, in addition to external drives, disks [I burn blu-rays now] and/or some combination thereof.
Let me relate my experience with Carbonite, tho. My initial b/u of maybe 500GB of data took something like 6 months. Recovering that data in the event of a disaster might not take that long, but was extremely slow when I tried it. After that the service seemed OK until I upgraded my 2007 Mac Pro to a loaded up iMac this year. A few months later I got this perky email from Carbonite saying that my 50GB of data were all backed up now, isn't it wonderful? Their tech support dude that I talked to said basically, sorry about that, but they have no way to recognize your new computer, even though all your account info is unchanged, and all that data is unrecoverable. None of my complaints to Carbonite on this matter were ever answered.
I now use DropBox to b/u 100Gb of my newest stuff [which takes maybe 3 days]. YMMV

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2013, 03:29:12 PM »
The Western Digital MyBook drives use a proprietary encryption.  If the micro USB bus should break you will have to pair the data with another WD device of that era to decrypt the data.  I have had a couple of these drives.  Would never store anything important on them for fear of expensive data recovery services.

When I get those drives, I just first immediately "slick" them, and wipe off all the WD programs and all they put on there, and then just use them as a regular, harddrive.

I dunno when they started putting that cr@p on their portable harddrives, but it is annoying a bit.

I just need them for storage, not management.

C

SithTracy

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2013, 08:04:27 PM »
When I get those drives, I just first immediately "slick" them, and wipe off all the WD programs and all they put on there, and then just use them as a regular, harddrive.

I dunno when they started putting that cr@p on their portable harddrives, but it is annoying a bit.

I just need them for storage, not management.

C

The encryption is not in the software included on the drive, it is a hardware based solution between the USB bus and the SATA connector on the internal hard drive.

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2013, 09:04:41 PM »
I use some 2.5 inch drives but these contain just 2 of my 4 copies. The other 2 are 3.5inch Western Digital Enterprise Series RE4 disks (one internal, one external in a USB case)

For now I have not implemented a remote storage scheme...

scottkinfw

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • kasden.smug.com
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2013, 11:48:12 PM »
Here is an alternative for you.

Consider getting a Drobo.  I have one and love it.

It is a breeze to set up for windows and Mac.  You can add HDDs as you need them.  It has "beyond RAID"  which is fast and safe.  They are in the process of merging with another company like Pogoplug so hopefully one day soon you can create your own personal cloud. 

Present offerings include Drobos for one compute or a networked one (NAS).  I like that it is expandable and hot swapable.  It will tell you if a drive is dying or dead and you won't lose data.

And no, I have no financial stake in the company.  I have been using mine for about 2 years now and love it.

sek
sek Cameras: 5D III, 5D II, EOS M  Lenses:  24-70 2.8 II IS, 24-105 f4L, 70-200 f4L IS, 70-200 f2.8L IS II, EF 300 f4L IS, EF 400 5.6L, 300 2.8 IS II, Samyang 14 mm 2.8 Flashes: 580 EX II600EX-RT X 2, ST-E3-RT
Plus lots of stuff that just didn't work for me

alexanderferdinand

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2013, 04:39:15 PM »
My strategy:
I use 3 external 2TB HDDs; after every save or printing session I save the month I saved/worked with on one of them; they change like in a merrygoround.
Stored on three different places.
If they are full, one gets a friend of mine to store it in an other house.
I like the fast eSATA- connection.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2013, 04:39:15 PM »

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2013, 11:57:07 AM »
I just got a setup I'm going to try, the Seagate backup plus thunderbolt adapter.
I'm going to try to use it on my MBP (late 2011), and from there daisy chain my thunderbolt to display port I currently use to get my Dell u2711 monitor to work.

I bought a thunderbolt cable, and a seagate backup plus 3TB drive (strangely enough, cheaper to buy in pieces rather than the bundled package by seagate)...

Anyway, I hope to set this up and try to use that for my fast off laptop server access (photoshop, premier, AE work).

When SSD comes down in price a bit, I will likely pull the mechanical drive mentioned above off of it and drop the SSD on the thunderbolt adapter (which I've seen will work )...

Anyway, that's a new attempt I'm making. I have slower NAS stuff out there for longer term storage, but I'm hoping this thunderbolt adapter (essentially a thunderbolt to SATA adapter) will prove to be speedy enough for my needs, and relieve my onboard drive of some churn and keep it from filling up all the time.

C

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2013, 02:14:20 PM »