October 31, 2014, 09:58:21 PM

Author Topic: External HDD for backups  (Read 7192 times)

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Re: External HDD for backups
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2013, 04:09:34 PM »
you want raid.... i like WD....

RAID for backup is what you're referring to?

C

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2013, 04:09:34 PM »

Botts

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2013, 01:04:30 AM »
Hi all,

I'm currently backing up all my photos and other work on a second (and third) physical drive in my PC, but I've decided that I'd also like to back everything up on an external drive. I'm not interested in the passport-sized 2.5"drives, as I've had a couple of them in the past, and they've both recently died for some reason. I'd prefer a 3.5"sized drive that also needs plugging in to the mains. As for size, something around 2TB is ideal, but if anybody can suggest a bigger one that is better, great!

As for brands, I'm not that particular, although I had one of the LaCie Porsche drives about 8 years ago, and it died the second time I used it. If their quality has improved much in the last few years, I'd happily consider them too.

As for interface with the computer, it'll have to be USB2. I don't have USB3 ports on my computer, and I don't have Firewire either.

What would you guys suggest as a solution for this?

Cheers,
Malcolm

My list of must haves:
  • USB 3.0 (future speed advantage if you don't have it now)
  • Minimum 3TB (it's a minuscule price to upgrade to 4TB even, nothing is worse than outgrowing your backup and having to buy a new drive and subsequently throwing out your previous 2TB drive.)
  • Seagate, WD, Hitachi, or G-Drive (sometimes Lacie's are great, but you never know what drive you're getting inside it.
6D, Sigma 35/1.4, 40STM, 50/1.4, 70-200/4 IS, 430ex II
T2i, 17-55/2.8 IS, 270ex

s2kdriver80

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2013, 03:17:34 AM »
I run 2 4TB drives in a RAID1 config inside a Synology 2-bay NAS.  Since RAID isn't truly a backup, I run a separate external 4TB drive that's connected to the Synology and periodically sync them.
-Paul

JPAZ

• Canon 7D MK II
  • If only I knew what I was doing.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2013, 06:01:38 PM »
My requirements are a bit less intense than others since I am not a professional.  Were I to lose data, it would be very sad but it would not be an adverse effect on my income.  That said, I've been using tow 1 TB drives in a mirror RAID.  I've had 1 drive go down and simply replaced it.  Since it is possible that both would go or that there would be another type of catastrophic failure, I supplement this with a periodic external backup where I rotate 2 external drives.

Now, the reality.  I don't do the external backup often enough.  Someday, it could burn me.  In fairness, I don't generate too many new files except after a trip.  But still, this could be a problem.

Human nature being what it is, I am therefore trying out Crashplan.  The initial upload is gonna take days.  Then, I'll see what happens when I add some files.
5d Mkiii; Eos-M; too many lenses; 430 EXii and a whole lot of stuff

Halfrack

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2013, 06:31:11 PM »

C
RAID isn't backup, it's redundancy.  RAID saves you if a drive fails and you have a spare one to put in.  RAID doesn't save you from corruption or accidental deletion.
"Me owning a lens shop is kind of like having an alcoholic bar tender." - Roger Cicala

sleepnever

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2013, 12:27:30 PM »
I currently don't have any off-site backup, but that is about to change. What I have is my data on a mechanical HDD and backed up on a secondary mechnical HDD that only wakes up when I copy to it. When I go on vacation, both drives are pulled and put in my gun safe.
I was pointed to www.CrashPlan.com by some people and this is one of the major features that caught my eye, that alot of you are complaining about with Carbonite.

Seeded Backup and Restore to Your Door
If you have a lot to back up, the initial backup might take longer than you'd like. So we offer a ‘seed service’ where we send you an external hard drive to use for your first backup. After you send it back, we transfer the data directly to CrashPlan Central, saving a lot of time on your first backup.
Similarly, if you ever need to restore a large amount of data, use CrashPlan’s Restore to Your Door service, to have us ship your computer backup archive to you on a hard drive, so you can restore locally.
Canon 5D3 | 50mm f1.4  | 24-70 f2.8L | 100 f2.8L IS Macro | 430EX II
Flickr

JPAZ

• Canon 7D MK II
  • If only I knew what I was doing.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2013, 01:30:39 PM »

Seeded Backup and Restore to Your Door
If you have a lot to back up, the initial backup might take longer than you'd like. So we offer a ‘seed service’ where we send you an external hard drive to use for your first backup. After you send it back, we transfer the data directly to CrashPlan Central, saving a lot of time on your first backup.
Similarly, if you ever need to restore a large amount of data, use CrashPlan’s Restore to Your Door service, to have us ship your computer backup archive to you on a hard drive, so you can restore locally.

Doing my initial synch / backup of just my photo to Crashplan now and the site estimates it will take 28.5 days!
5d Mkiii; Eos-M; too many lenses; 430 EXii and a whole lot of stuff

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2013, 01:30:39 PM »

risc32

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2013, 01:30:59 PM »
currently i have one HD in my computer in a 5.25 bay in a "trayless" removable thingy, and i have a secondary HD sitting on my desk. The second HD actually sits in a HD cloning device as the "target" drive, and every week or so i pull a lever in my main HD enclosure and slap it in the cloner, and i clone it to the secondary. If my main HD ever drops dead i'll be up and running at full speed within maybe 30seconds. Then i'd just use it as the main and buy another secondary. I know it's not perfect, but it's easy, with no monthly backup fees, and i could easily knock out another clone and have it offsite if i wanted. I also post nearly everything on my flickr account, so i consider myself pretty well covered.

BTW- i've got a copy of norton ghost and i can't get it to work properly.

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2013, 11:33:52 AM »

C
RAID isn't backup, it's redundancy.  RAID saves you if a drive fails and you have a spare one to put in.  RAID doesn't save you from corruption or accidental deletion.

Sure.

A back is a 2nd or great number of copies of your files pretty much by definition.

But two or more mirrored RAID set ups would count as backup.

Or, in many of these cases, the NAS units set up with RAID are being used to back up data on the computers' main disk, in which case it would be considered 'backup'.

Especially since today, for the most part...tape backup isn't really an option to the common person.

C

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2013, 11:33:52 AM »