June 25, 2018, 10:19:50 AM

Author Topic: Gear Advice foe and awesome Greece trip  (Read 9090 times)

surapon

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • 80% BY HEART, 15% BY LENSES AND ONLY 5% BY CAMERA
Re: Gear Advice foe and awesome Greece trip
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2013, 04:08:35 PM »
Here are my Equipment for 14 Days Tour in Greece---And I keep my Big Tripods at the Hotels :

Yes, Just 2 Camera Bodies and 9 Lenses--From 8 mm. Fish eye Lens, 11 mm. super wide angle Lens, to the 400 mm. long Zoom Lens and normal lenses in between----BUT, The least function is Tripods---Because 95% of the Places such as Museums and the out door ancient Cities---They will not let us use Tripods, Monopods or Flash photography.---Total Weight = 20 Pounds---BUT when I have a trip to Thailand, I carry the equipment = Full load = 48 Pounds or 23 Kilos on my big camera backpack.

Yes, My medium size Backpack Kata 3 IN 1 - 30 can modified the belt , and to use as the front sling back, to keep all camera gears in front of you---Not  on the Back as backpack, that The Bad people can use the Razor  blade get the great equipment from your back pack. BTW---No store the camera equipments in your hotel room---If you not there, And When you come back to the Hotel--IT WILL BE GONE----Enjoy the Trip.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 09:33:35 PM by surapon »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2013, 04:08:35 PM »

Famateur

• EOS 5D Mark IV
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2013, 07:20:36 PM »
Take travel insurance - Greece is the only country where we have had belongings stolen from a hotel.
Read the thread on the photographer catching fire on lava - you should visit an active volcanic island off Santorini.
Stay in a troglodyte hotel in the face of the cliff - so travel light as previously advised as you will be walking up and down a lot. In any case, humping heavy gear at the hottest time of the year in Greece isn't advisable.

Agreed! And keep a hand on your gear bag at all times. My brother-in-law put his pack down for just a moment to take a picture, and when he turned around, it was half-way down the block. He managed to chase the dude into the street and get his gear back, but you might not be so lucky. If you're going to carry all that gear around in the heat, you might as well come home with it all!

Famateur

• EOS 5D Mark IV
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2013, 07:24:33 PM »
Just to add to my previous post, I carry a laptop bag nearly everywhere I go (work related). It contains not only the laptop, with sensitive information, but other items I really don't want falling into the wrong hands. My strategy, if I absolutely must put it down, is to make sure it's in contact with part of my body. For example, when seated at a restaurant booth, I might put it on the floor leaning against my leg at enough of an angle that I always feel its pressure. If someone tried to swipe it, I'd feel it depart.

gordonbb

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2013, 12:47:17 PM »
When I was in Greece in 2009 I tried to travel light and ended up with:

17-40 with C-Pol
24-105
70-200 2.8 IS
50 1.8

On reviewing the 4000+ images taken over 3 weeks the above list is also the frequency with which each lens was used.  If I had to do it again I would leave the 70-200 at home.  70% of the shots were with the 17-40, 25% with the 24-105.  I had one shot of an Altar in a Byzantine church using available light that the 50 was absolutely necessary for but with the improvements in sensors these days the only reason in my mind for a fast prime would be for subject isolation.

Greece is definitely wide-angle territory.

I left the 300lb Manfrotto tripod at home and brought a GorillaPod SLR Zoom which I used for some pannos usually wrapped around railings.

Travel in Greece involves lots of walking and climbing in 40+ degree weather so keeping things as light as possible will help and having space in your camera bag for an insulated water bottle will serve you well.  I took a Crumpler six million dollar home as I find it looks less like a camera bag.

Make sure your gear is insured and registered with customs in your country of origin.  The last is a PITA in Canada but you do end up with a nice list of the Serial Numbers of your gear to provide to Police should the worst happen
M, M6, 6D, 7D, 1Ds II, G10, IV-Sb, 17-40, 24-105, 70-200 2.8 IS, 85/1.2 II, 50 1.8 II, 40, EF-M 15-45, 18-55, 22, 28...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2013, 12:47:17 PM »