October 01, 2014, 02:59:06 AM

Author Topic: Still on Lightroom 3.6. Why should I upgrade?  (Read 4102 times)

pedro

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
Re: Still on Lightroom 3.6. Why should I upgrade?
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2013, 07:05:43 AM »
Starting with LR4, Adobe uses a new RAW processor(2012 ver).  The RAW images are noticibly better when processed with the new version.

PV2012 isn't necessarily better, though it's easier in comparison to PV2010. If someone has a good workflow in the "old" process there's no pressing reason to upgrade, in PV2012 shadow/highlight controls are "intelligent" and "better", but less options mean that you need to do more local adjustments in comparison to the "old" ones.

To the op: You can do nr and perspective correction also in external applications and arguably better than in LR5, but for me the real killer reasons to upgrade are the healing brush (real brush, not only spots) and circular gradient instead of just linear - saves a lot of trips to photoshop and keeps the raw workflow.

@Marsu42: As a non-LR user at the moment (see my post above) I guess I've read somewhere that NR via LR is more forgiving than DPP when it comes to details...In relation to what you stated above, is that the case? Or what are you refering to, saying one can do NR arguabilly better in any other application than LR 5?

At least I could answer my questing about adjusting tilted horizons... In LR 5;-) Like the 5D3 which I was able to pick up last August, LR 5 seems to be the perfect tool for me...hooray !
http://thelightroomlab.com/2013/06/fixing-tilted-slanted-and-skewed-photos-with-upright-in-adobe-photoshop-lightroom-5/
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 07:11:41 AM by pedro »
30D, EF-S 10-22/ 5DIII, 16-35 F/2.8 L USM II, 28 F/2.8, 50 F/1.4, 85 F/1.8, 70-200 F/2.8 classic,
join me at http://www.flickr.com/groups/insane_isos/

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2013, 07:05:43 AM »

wsheldon

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • sheldon-photo
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2013, 08:18:05 AM »
Starting with LR4, Adobe uses a new RAW processor(2012 ver).  The RAW images are noticibly better when processed with the new version. If ISO's are high, you need it.  NR is also greatly improved.

I've used every version heavily on several PC's and never had crashing issues, its likely a computer problem if its crashing.

Version 5 added some useful features beyond version 4, both have lens correction that will correct distortions for various lenses.  They also have a photobook feature and ver 4 will import videos, but link to a external player while ver 5 will play video.  You can take a typical video frame and make color and other corrections and then copy the corrections to the entire clip.  The improvement can be dramatic and it jst takes seconds.

Starting with ver 4, you can soft proof your images to correct out of gamut photos so that your print will match what you see on the screen.  Its not a matter of a calibrated monitor, out of gamut colors print differently.

I'm sure there is more.

Thanks for this overview. I've used all versions of LR through 4 as well, but the comments on 5 in this thread made me "bite" on the Adorama deal running right now ($99). I wasn't aware of the video editing tweaks, and now that I have a 6D that may be helpful. I really need the better healing/clonig tools, but this put it over the top.
Canon 6D & 50D, nice set of lenses

Zv

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Zeeography (flickr)
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2013, 08:42:21 AM »
I was on v3.6 for the longest time and then I got an EOS M and needed to upgrade if I wanted to edit the RAW files. My mate had been telling me about v4 even before that but I hadn't bothered upgrading as v3.6 worked just fine. I'm glad I moved up now. Processing time has decreased and it seems a lot easier to get what you want. For me the absence of the fill slider threw me a bit but once I got used to the shadow and highlight sliders I wonder how I lived without it! Fill was so crude - it would just make everything lighter and didn't actually fill those shadows like you hoped it would. And recovery wasn't all that great either. I barely have to touch the exposure slider now (remember the old trick of underexposing then adding fill?).

In short if you do even a moderate amount of post it will save you time and stress. Make the switch.
5D II | 17-40L | 24-105L | 70-200 f4L IS | 135L | SY 14 2.8 | Sigma 50 1.4

EOS M | 11-22 IS STM | 22 STM | FD 50 1.4

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2013, 10:13:19 AM »
@Marsu42: As a non-LR user at the moment (see my post above) I guess I've read somewhere that NR via LR is more forgiving than DPP when it comes to details...In relation to what you stated above, is that the case? Or what are you refering to, saying one can do NR arguabilly better in any other application than LR 5?

LR5 denoising is very good, but still "dumb" - you have to use the brush with nr setting to get optimal results. If you are ok with breaking the raw workflow, plugins like noise ninja or topaz denoise are "smarter" as afaik they try to tell apart subject details & blurred background (= higher nr for the latter). Still, for 99% lr5 is just fine, but if you want commercial quality plugins or ps cc (with smart sharpen) might give you a little better results @100% crop.

pedro

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2013, 11:54:06 AM »
@Marsu42: Thanks for your explanation! Kind regards.
30D, EF-S 10-22/ 5DIII, 16-35 F/2.8 L USM II, 28 F/2.8, 50 F/1.4, 85 F/1.8, 70-200 F/2.8 classic,
join me at http://www.flickr.com/groups/insane_isos/

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2013, 11:54:06 AM »