Gear Talk > Lighting

Using (Fill) Flash

(1/7) > >>

mrsfotografie:
So I've been doing most if not all of my photography over the last 7 years without using a flash. I like ambient light and hate what an external flash does to the weight balance of my camera body.

I'm pretty happy with most of the results but it's time to get more out of my photography and start using fill-flash. The goal however is to preserve as much ambient light as possible; I dislike it when a flash has obviously been used to get a picture.

So my question is: Do you have any recommendations I can start out with? What conditions would typically require which settings?

Note that I would like to use it for general photography because I do very little portraiture.

FWIW I have a Metz 48 AF-1 with a STO-FEN Omni Bounce. I'm not immediately interested in getting more flash gear or reflective screens etc.

Thanks all!

agierke:
What do you mean by general photography?

The size of speedlights on camera is pretty much ideally suited to fill for portrait work when ambient needs to be preserved. Any subject matter larger than that and the usefulness of a speedlight on camera begins to diminish greatly. At that point, getting the speedlight off camera is ideal.

I guess I'm confused as to what you are trying to achieve if portraiture is not a concern to you. More specifics would be useful...maybe a sample image?

Sporgon:
Shoot camera in manual, stick tissue over flash, knock it down -2 stops on exp comp.

privatebydesign:
Read every word and study every image on this site.

http://neilvn.com/tangents/flash-photography-techniques/

This guy is the best user of mixed flash and ambient I have seen. The key, BOUNCE, but do it smart, ETTL and flag, the "black foamie thing" changed my flash photography.

Marsu42:

--- Quote from: mrsfotografie on August 03, 2013, 07:24:44 AM ---So I've been doing most if not all of my photography over the last 7 years without using a flash.

--- End quote ---

1. Buy Syl Aren'as book.
2. Read Syl Aren'as book.
3. For starters, shoot in Av - camera ec controls flash-ambient ratio, and then experiment with ettl flash ec.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version