April 16, 2014, 01:08:15 PM

Author Topic: Using (Fill) Flash  (Read 5531 times)

RLPhoto

• 1D X
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Re: Using (Fill) Flash
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2013, 01:34:58 PM »
Below: I wanted the Ambient light inside to be warmer than my flash. They were daylight balanced florescents so my flash would be the same temp. I used a CT blue and bounced which gave it a nice warm feeling with good skin tones.

Sorry, but to me the guy in the Volcom tee shirt looks rather pasty and coolly lit (in the color temp sense, not the 'man, that's cool' sense). I don't call the pasty look a 'good skin tone'.   That's exactly what I'd expect when adding blue light to daylight-balanced ambient - pasty skin tones and cool lighting, not warm.  Blue = cool, might want to do some reading on strobist.blogspot.com yourself...

FWIW, PBD understands flash lighting better than most on these boards.

Looks good to me and I'm sure if you were there you'd understand. It has a sense of place but I don't expect everyone to agree. As for PBD, he has his own opinions as well.

I still use Blue, orange, and green gels for flash. It doesn't change my recommendation one bit.
24LII - 50L - 135L
---------------------------------
www.RamonLperez.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2013, 01:34:58 PM »

surapon

• 1D X
  • 80% BY HEART, 15% BY LENSES AND ONLY 5% BY CAMERA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2013, 01:40:59 PM »
Dear Friends.
Yes.  off the Camera are the Best for Side Light and not let the  flash make the 2D. look Face of the Model. Yes, Past 5 years, When I go to take the Portrait Photos, With out 2 Nd. People  Help to carry the Light, Or I do not have time to set up the Fill Lights, I just use my On camera Flash, But Put " Graslon 4100F"= $ 85 US DOLLARS, and Shoot in door and Out door = Perfected  Super Fast--Portait/ Wedding Photos for Me.

https://www.facebook.com/surapon01/media_set?set=a.4347005551010.2183692.1163677771&type=3

Now, If I have more time and Slow Shooting, and Want Better Picture, I use my DIY portable Lighting system for my Perfected Portrait/ Canddid Pictures 

https://www.facebook.com/surapon01/media_set?set=a.10200210668847105.2199847.1163677771&type=3

Enjoy.
Surapon Sujjavanich, AIA, CPS Gold Member

Dear Friend, I just New in this Post-----No, I am Big Fan in this Column for 2 years, But, I just try to Post my Thinking past 5 posts. One question that hit me, I never have Canon  PowerShot G15, But Why it show under my Name ??----Thanks.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 01:54:45 PM by surapon »

mrsfotografie

• 1D X
  • mrsfotografie.nl
    • View Profile
    • MRS fotografie
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2013, 02:10:34 PM »
What do you mean by general photography?

The size of speedlights on camera is pretty much ideally suited to fill for portrait work when ambient needs to be preserved. Any subject matter larger than that and the usefulness of a speedlight on camera begins to diminish greatly. At that point, getting the speedlight off camera is ideal.

I guess I'm confused as to what you are trying to achieve if portraiture is not a concern to you. More specifics would be useful...maybe a sample image?

Well there will be the odd portrait I guess, but think of it as 'street photography' to generalise a little bit. IE outside conditions, sometimes with people in the frame but I want to deal mostly with lost detail in the shadows. I don't usually have the opportunity to wait for the best light conditions so sometimes need to work around/with harsh sunlight.

Shoot camera in manual, stick tissue over flash, knock it down -2 stops on exp comp.

Why in manual? Isn't 'Aperture' priority a good starting point? What sync speed should I use?

Read every word and study every image on this site.

http://neilvn.com/tangents/flash-photography-techniques/

This guy is the best user of mixed flash and ambient I have seen. The key, BOUNCE, but do it smart, ETTL and flag, the "black foamie thing" changed my flash photography.

Thanks, this is something I can use! I'm looking at on-camera flash obviously because portability is paramount. Will have a read-through of this site.
--

And as for the discussion about off-camera flash and gels and such  :o ... please continue and enjoy your discussion folks but it is obviously not of practical application to me! But still I'm learning and inspired with every post you make so bring it on  ;).
5D3, 5D2, Sony NEX-6 | SY14mm f/2.8, Ʃ20mm f/1.8, 35mm f/2, Ʃ35mm f/1.4A, 50mm f/1.8 I, Ʃ50mm f/1.4 EX, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 17-40L, 24-105L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 1.4x II, 70-300L, 100-400L | E-mount: Ʃ19mm f/2.8 EX DN, Ʃ30mm f/2.8 EX DN, 16-50 OSS, 55-210 OSS | 2x FT-QL, AE-1P, FD(n) & FL primes.

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2013, 02:20:00 PM »
Shoot camera in manual, stick tissue over flash, knock it down -2 stops on exp comp.

Agree

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2013, 02:21:27 PM »
Well to balance daylight you are not using blue or green correction gels on strobes. But they do have lots of good uses, creating or adding mood or ambiance, though I find the bolder gels more applicable most of the time, you have to print big to get the subtler shades of gel to come out effectively within a scene, IMHO.

Traditionally green correction gels are used to make flash the same colour as some fluorescent lights and blue is used to make tungsten lamps daylight balanced, obviously neither is relevant to flash to daylight correction.

First shot below is a shot with three flashes with different gels, (plus four tungsten lamps and a TV) one red, to exaggerate the tail lamps outside, one with both blue and purple to mimic the TV output, and one CTO to match the tungsten lamp light. But it is totally irrelevant to the subject of daylight balancing strobes.

Mid day strobes are pretty close to daylight and need no correction, early and late in the day 1/4, 1/2 and full CTO and CTS are all very useful.

Second shot is a late afternoon strobe to daylight balanced shot. 1/2 CTO on the strobe into an umbrella to match the setting sun.

love your posted pictures

privatebydesign

• 1D X
  • Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2013, 02:30:55 PM »
"And as for the discussion about off-camera flash and gels and such  :o ... please continue and enjoy your discussion folks but it is obviously not of practical application to me!"

And there in lies the problem I have with so much of RLP's advice opinion, whilst it might be valid or correct information in and of itself, he seems incapable of parsing his knowledge into relevant information for the OP. The answer to every lens question is not 135 f1.8 IS or 50 f1.2. The answer in this thread is not to buy green gels. This has sometimes made me appear to be on a RPL witch hunt, and that absolutely is not the case, but I am passionate about pointing people in the right direction for them and can be outspoken if I think they are being led astray, of course I make mistakes, I have made several howlers here on CR, but I like to think when I do I just say I am wrong, and I have done that several times.

Interesting use of a blue gel, but as Neuro says, not a generally pleasing outcome from the OP's objective, the guy in the background looks nuclear, the ceiling has been painted out of two buckets of paint that were different colours and one of the main subjects looks unwell. Very far away from the OP's intention. Still interested to see your best use of a green gel, one of the ones you specifically recommended.
Is Christmas really coming? I suppose it is..............

RLPhoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2013, 03:04:39 PM »
"And as for the discussion about off-camera flash and gels and such  :o ... please continue and enjoy your discussion folks but it is obviously not of practical application to me!"

And there in lies the problem I have with so much of RLP's advice opinion, whilst it might be valid or correct information in and of itself, he seems incapable of parsing his knowledge into relevant information for the OP. The answer to every lens question is not 135 f1.8 IS or 50 f1.2. The answer in this thread is not to buy green gels. This has sometimes made me appear to be on a RPL witch hunt, and that absolutely is not the case, but I am passionate about pointing people in the right direction for them and can be outspoken if I think they are being led astray, of course I make mistakes, I have made several howlers here on CR, but I like to think when I do I just say I am wrong, and I have done that several times.

Interesting use of a blue gel, but as Neuro says, not a generally pleasing outcome from the OP's objective, the guy in the background looks nuclear, the ceiling has been painted out of two buckets of paint that were different colours and one of the main subjects looks unwell. Very far away from the OP's intention. Still interested to see your best use of a green gel, one of the ones you specifically recommended.

LOL! That's cute PBD. You know, your right! You are very outspoken, to the point of losing the point of the original comments. mrsfotografie now stated about not needing gels, which is fine, but atleast I let the OP know about them as an option for the situations they may be needed in.

I'm not quick to point out minor difference's in tastes in photos but if you must insist on that difference in taste, Your first photo looks worse than a belt-sander on an elephants backside. I have no idea what your trying to convey there. :o  Gel's can't fix a bad idea.

Your second photo is pretty OOF. Unfortunately for you, that's much harder to correct.
24LII - 50L - 135L
www.RamonLperez.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2013, 03:04:39 PM »

privatebydesign

• 1D X
  • Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2013, 03:14:17 PM »
Is that your best attempt at showing us an image in which you used your recommended green gel to balance ambient?  ;D

Here I was having a bad day stuck in Ft Lauderdale airport and you still manage to make me smile, thanks.
Is Christmas really coming? I suppose it is..............

RLPhoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2013, 03:23:02 PM »
Is that your best attempt at showing us an image in which you used your recommended green gel to balance ambient?  ;D

Here I was having a bad day stuck in Ft Lauderdale airport and you still manage to make me smile, thanks.

The OP has no need for gels. Why would I continue posting about them? Plus, a man of your caliber should understand when to use a green gel.  ::)

(Strobist still has that article if you want to read up on it.)
24LII - 50L - 135L
www.RamonLperez.com

Sporgon

• 1D X
  • 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • View Profile
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2013, 03:24:41 PM »
@ mrsfotographie, use whatever shutter speed you want as long as it is longer than, or equal to, your cameras sync speed.

@ RLP; I think you'll find the softness in PBD's second picture is defraction from having the sun in the frame.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 03:27:57 PM by Sporgon »

serendipidy

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2013, 05:12:58 PM »
Dear Friends.
One question that hit me, I never have Canon  PowerShot G15, But Why it show under my Name ??----Thanks.

The camera under a posters name is given by CR according to how many posts you have made. The more posts, the better the camera you get assigned. Look at the number of posts and see the cameras other got. 8)
EOS 5D miii, EOS 7D, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS ii, 100-400mmL IS

surapon

• 1D X
  • 80% BY HEART, 15% BY LENSES AND ONLY 5% BY CAMERA
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2013, 09:20:33 PM »
Dear Friends.
One question that hit me, I never have Canon  PowerShot G15, But Why it show under my Name ??----Thanks.

The camera under a posters name is given by CR according to how many posts you have made. The more posts, the better the camera you get assigned. Look at the number of posts and see the cameras other got. 8)

Thank you, Sir, Dear Serendipidy,  for your clear answer.

Marsu42

• 1D X
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2013, 06:29:24 AM »
And as for the discussion about off-camera flash and gels and such  :o ... please continue and enjoy your discussion folks but it is obviously not of practical application to me!

I'd say you're mistaken here, I made the same mistake, if you use flash you *have* to know about gels, at least about orange (cto) to balance daylight because that will save you hours of postprocessing with the whitebalance brush to edit away the horrible/amateurish blue flash color cast.

The OP has no need for gels. Why would I continue posting about them? Plus, a man of your caliber should understand when to use a green gel.  ::)

I don't see any problem widening a thread, this most of the time this is when it gets interesting (for me) - it's great if the op gets specific advice, but I don't think a thread necessarily has to stick to it - esp. since anybody beginning with flash photography should also know about gels.

Blue = Cooler. IE: Blue hour after sunset through a softbox.
Green = Greener? IE: Maybe to Direct-fill in shadows indoors with florescent tubes.

From everything I read imho for CTG privatebydesign says the same I've read on the usual suspect's websites: florescent is now so different that you cannot gel it away, and thus I see little reason to have it. But thanks for the idea about CTB, though I also suspect that the effect often might be too subtle so a "stronger" effects gel should do better.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2013, 06:29:24 AM »

Hesbehindyou

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2013, 08:20:33 AM »
So I've been doing most if not all of my photography over the last 7 years without using a flash. I like ambient light and ... I dislike it when a flash has obviously been used to get a picture.

So my question is: Do you have any recommendations I can start out with? What conditions would typically require which settings?

Note that I would like to use it for general photography because I do very little portraiture.

Excellent website I've recently stumbled across. Heavily portrait-biased but what's the difference between a person and a 'thing'?
http://neilvn.com/tangents/flash-photography-techniques/natural-looking-flash/

Note in the 2nd example the subject in the foreground is entirely lit by the flash as he's had to have a relatively fast shutter speed (to keep the colour in the stained glass windows) and without the flash the foreground subject would have almost been a silhouette. He's made the flash look natural by a) bouncing it off a wall behind him, and b) Correcting white balance of foreground (and possibly background) in post.

This other page deals with mixing flash and ambient light, which seems to be exactly the sort of thing you want - particularly the first example.
http://neilvn.com/tangents/flash-photography-techniques/flash-and-ambient-light/

The pages are part of a series and I'd suggest you read them all, plus the Stobist 101 & 102 series. Even if you're not using flash in the way that they do you'll be wanting to steal some of their ideas.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2013, 08:42:28 AM »
Excellent website I've recently stumbled across. Heavily portrait-biased but what's the difference between a person and a 'thing'?
http://neilvn.com/tangents/flash-photography-techniques/natural-looking-flash/

Funny thing...I recently stumbled across that website, too.  Astounding coincidence?  Or the fact that privatebydesign linked it in the 3rd post of this thread?   :-X

;)
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2013, 08:42:28 AM »