November 21, 2017, 03:42:30 AM

Author Topic: EOS 7D Mark II Information [CR2]  (Read 117682 times)

M.ST

Re: EOS 7D Mark II Information [CR2]
« Reply #135 on: August 05, 2013, 06:05:08 AM »
Prototypes for a 7D Mark II now exist over a year, but if I look at the 70D and 6D price I think that there is no space for an 7D Mark II between the mentioned cameras.

It seen so, that the 70D IS the new 7D Mark II. But without CF cards the camera has no change to go in the bag of pros.

A 750D will be introduced in the first half of 2014.

The new pro camera (in different versions) with the new sensor design is out for testing for a long time and works very well, but there is no reaction from Canon if you ask for the product introduction.   

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #135 on: August 05, 2013, 06:05:08 AM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
« Reply #136 on: August 05, 2013, 06:25:48 AM »
A 750D will be introduced in the first half of 2014.

The sun will rise in the east.  See, I can predict the obvious, too...   ::)
EOS 1D X, EOS M2, lots of lenses

tapanit

• EOS Rebel 300D
« Reply #137 on: August 05, 2013, 06:39:57 AM »
Once you owned 5D III, your 7D will most likely sitting in the bag & collecting dust - or end up on CL.
Mine doesn't. It has been demoted to "second body" position though, but I use two bodies often enough, and the 7D complements the 5D3 quite well. In particular I like it that their ergonomics are pretty similar - much more so than between 7D and 60D I used before. And sometimes 7D *is* better, in particular it has longer burst length, and in good light the extra reach is sometimes actually useful (well, just about enough to offset the generally better IQ from 5D3), so that a shorter lens (24-70, say) in the 5D3 and a long one (100-400) in the 7D make a good combination.

I would still be interested in 7D mk2 if it had sufficiently better IQ, especially with high(ish) ISOs, that it would produce visibly better pictures than the 5D3 in focal-length-limited situations. Better AF, higher fps and longer bursts (with raw) would also be appreciated. Everything else, like WiFi and GPS, would be icing on the cake - nice but not important.

schill

• EOS Rebel SL2
« Reply #138 on: August 05, 2013, 08:31:20 AM »
This may be a CR2 rumor, but I am having a hard time taking it seriously.

I can believe either half of the rumor, but not both halves. Canon won't introduce the 7DII until 2014 (believable); Canon may re-use the 70D sensor (believable);

But, Canon will not introduce the 7DII until 2014 and will recycle the 70D sensor (not believable).

CR2 means a source that has been right in the past. I think this is a case where past performance is no indicator of future results.

I agree.  The combination of the two doesn't make sense to me.

moreorless

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #139 on: August 05, 2013, 09:01:34 AM »
Prototypes for a 7D Mark II now exist over a year, but if I look at the 70D and 6D price I think that there is no space for an 7D Mark II between the mentioned cameras.

It seen so, that the 70D IS the new 7D Mark II. But without CF cards the camera has no change to go in the bag of pros.

I wouldn't say that the 7D2 needs to be "between" the 70D and the 6D, indeed I think it could potentially be above the 6D if its given 5D3 level build, pro AF and 10 FPS.

crasher8

« Reply #140 on: August 05, 2013, 09:33:53 AM »

I wouldn't say that the 7D2 needs to be "between" the 70D and the 6D, indeed I think it could potentially be above the 6D if its given 5D3 level build, pro AF and 10 FPS.

+1

Dylan777

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
« Reply #141 on: August 05, 2013, 09:55:01 AM »
Show me what your 1D X can do that make my 5D III looks like a children's toy.

Shoot pictures during a hurricane. Pound in nails if you can't find your hammer. Etc.   :P

"Shoot pictures during a hurricane": never done that before. However, my 5D III + 16-35 II did got hit badly with heavy rain when I was in HongKong & China(see pics below).

"Pound in nails if you can't find your hammer" : I have a better tool for that - I use my 70-200 f2.8 ;D 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #141 on: August 05, 2013, 09:55:01 AM »

Dylan777

« Reply #142 on: August 05, 2013, 10:01:15 AM »
Once you owned 5D III, your 7D will most likely sitting in the bag & collecting dust - or end up on CL.

Other than all the times you shoot distance limited wildlife (when you will badly wish you had your 7D back from CL).

As a prev owner of 7D, I'm well aware what 7D can & can't do - that's why I bought 2nd 5D III.

ahsanford

• USM > STM
« Reply #143 on: August 05, 2013, 10:22:53 AM »
Yes, but for being right once they have been wrong 10 times as far as I remember :-p ... Canon internal information may leak just before an announcement because more people have access to it, but I suspect no one but the Japanese Canon execs and techs know the specs of 2014 camera bodies.

Agree.  Think about other much larger sites for smartphones that have people around the world hunting for subcomponents, calling up vendors, reading pending FCC listings, trolling Best Buy's inventory system, etc. -- even those folks don't nail it too often.

I'm not knocking CR with this -- I read the site every day.  But rumor mongering is a tough game with a low batting average.

- A 
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 10:30:07 AM by ahsanford »

ahsanford

• USM > STM
« Reply #144 on: August 05, 2013, 10:29:13 AM »

Agree.  I've been saying that the 7D2 will cost more than the 6D when it is released.   As expensive as the FF sensors are, I believe a 'pro' APS-C rig can out-price a budget FF shooter, solely in that there is a highly invested bunch of 'long-reach' photogs who will gladly spend 2x on a camera body to not have to spend 5-10x on the longest glass Canon sells.

- A

Pi

• EOS 5DS R
    • Math and Photography
« Reply #145 on: August 05, 2013, 10:59:38 AM »

In terms of price or capabilities? If the latter, let us agree that I will be "next" to the 6D, not "above" it.

Krob78

• When in Doubt, Press the Shutter...
« Reply #146 on: August 05, 2013, 11:16:53 AM »
I've owned a 7D since shortly after its introduction.  I bought a 6D this past April.  On my recent trip I shot the 6D as my carry-around (still getting to know it) and anytime the light was low.  I used either/or in daylight.  Action (surfers, birds, etc.) in daylight was almost exclusively 7D.  The dynamic range of the 6D beats the 7D hands-down.  7D AF, AF points, frame rate is way above 6D capabilities.  My 7D captures almost double the frames my 6D does in the same amount of time.  I don't regret buying the 6D just for the increased ability to shoot well at night, and for better detail in my landscapes.  The 7D has survived so long because as a new breed it was far superior to the xxD line, and its features pushed the xD line; though it lacked xD DR & ISO capabilities most of these issues could be addressed in ppc.  Marry the best features of the two bodies together for a sure winner in the 7D MkII.

They already did - it's called the 5DIII and Canon would like you to buy one.
They already did - it's called the 5DIII and Canon would like you to buy one.
+1 My sentiments exactly.  Any previous 7D, now current 5D Mk III owner will likely agree!  ;)
Ken

5D MK III, EOS M3, 100-400L II, 11-24L, 70-200 2.8L II, 24-70LIS, 17-40L, 16-35 4L, 600 EX-RT, 430EX-RT, 1.4X III, 2.0X III

robertbanksoz

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
« Reply #147 on: August 05, 2013, 11:19:06 AM »
Wonder if it will be worth the upgrade. ...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #147 on: August 05, 2013, 11:19:06 AM »

Krob78

• When in Doubt, Press the Shutter...
« Reply #148 on: August 05, 2013, 11:23:49 AM »
You must have missed the refresh of the supertele lineup, the new 70-200 and 24-70s, and the 200-400.

I certainly don't want to intervene in a good dogfight :-p but I notice the 70-200L refresh was quite a while ago, but the rest are all products targeted towards a high budget (tele primes, 200-400) and/or special/pro crowd (24-70L2 w/o IS, but great edge sharpness).

The 5d3 of course is a good product if you forget about the first retail price, but from there the 6d is for low-light shooting with sub-par af and what the 24-70L/4 is for nobody has figured out yet. And let's not forget, no let's forget about the IS primes. Imho Canon is indeed postponing some updates (50L, 35L, I'd like a 180L/IS) for reasons unknown while 3rd party manufacturers fill the void.

But probably now Canon is going for the enthusiast market again, the 70D will be a good camera for a good price, and maybe the new lenses won't stay a [CR] and won't be updated with a multiplied price tag...

I'll speak to the 24-70 F/4 IS statement:

• It is the nearly perfect travel lens.  Light, shorter length, and macro means take it anywhere with you -- hikes, vacations, international trips with limited luggage space, etc.
  • Sharper than than the 24-105 and 24-70 Mk I.

If I get one lens and only one lens to put in my bag for something, it's either that lens or a prime in the 24-35mm neighborhood.

- A
The 5d3 of course is a good product if you forget about the first retail price
A lot of us have found the 5d3 to be of course not only a good product but a great product, even when remembering the retail price...  ;)
Ken

5D MK III, EOS M3, 100-400L II, 11-24L, 70-200 2.8L II, 24-70LIS, 17-40L, 16-35 4L, 600 EX-RT, 430EX-RT, 1.4X III, 2.0X III

unfocused

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • Mark Gordon Communications
« Reply #149 on: August 05, 2013, 12:16:37 PM »
Before we wade too deep into the "5DIII makes the 7DII unnecessary" swamp, let's have a bit of a reality check here.

The 5DIII is a wonderful camera and I would love to have one. But, it comes with a minimum price of entry of about $3,500 in the U.S. under the best case scenario (I arrive at that figure by adding the lowest available U.S. prices for the 5DIII with the lowest available prices for the 24-105mm zoom.  7D users simply cannot get to comparable wide focal lengths without purchasing at least one new lens).

That's a entry price that only a tiny fraction of the market can or is willing to bear. So, all of those who smugly declare that 7D users should just switch to a 5DIII...well...that's not possible or practical or desirable for the majority of 7D owners.

The 6D may be a slightly more affordable option, but it still comes with a heavy cost of entry, the same lens costs and is a significant step down from the 7D in everything but sensor size. The 6D may be a good replacement for the 60D, but it falls short as a good replacement for the 7D (Supplement, yes. Replacement, no).

My interests in photography are eclectic. I shoot portraits for starving actors, I shoot birds and other wildlife for the challenge, nature to soothe my soul and the streets to document the world I live in. The 7D offers the flexibility to do that. The 5DIII may be a better option, but I simply can't justify the cost of entry.

Too many times, on this forum, we pretend that people should be so dedicated to the craft to be willing to pay any price for the best tools, but the reality is, very few consumers can or will make that choice.

I am certain Canon understands that and that is why they will refresh the 7D with new features and options at a price that the market will bear. I am happy for all of those on this forum who can afford to invest in the 5DIII and hope that eventually, I may be able to as well. But, let's not pretend it's an option for most photographers.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #149 on: August 05, 2013, 12:16:37 PM »