October 01, 2014, 02:18:46 PM

Author Topic: EOS 7D Mark II Information [CR2]  (Read 45327 times)

insanitybeard

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
Re: EOS 7D Mark II Information [CR2]
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2013, 03:56:07 PM »
I'm not even a crop shooter and I still think the 7D2 could be dynamite if they 'pro' it up on build, framerate, AF, etc.   If you own $10k+ of longer glass, I still think a built-for-war, high FPS, stellar focusing APS-C rig could sell for $2500 and be successful.

- A

Not that I disagree with what you're saying, but as a current 7D owner (I may or not be a typical one) my main reason to upgrade would be better IQ across the ISO range, I'm already happy with the current 7D's build, framerate and AF spread (accuracy is another matter possibly, as discussed elsewhere). What you are describing is more a backup or second body to a shooter already heavily invested in glass and full frame bodies than an upgrade for somebody who has the 7D as their primary body.
7D / EF-S 10-22 / 17-40L / 70-200 f4L IS / EF-S 60 macro

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2013, 03:56:07 PM »

dgatwood

• 5D Mark III
  • 300D, 400D, 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2013, 04:16:15 PM »
I am guessing it [GPS] can't be shoe horned into an SD card, otherwise Eye-Fi and others would have it available.

I can see two possible problems:

1.  Antennas inside the metal chassis of the SD slot might or might not be able to detect the relatively weak GPS signal successfully.

2.  The lowest-power GPS chips I've seen draw 131 mW during acquisition, and as far as I can tell, the SD card spec (at least the pre-UHS spec) only allows 540 mW max, so you'd be drawing almost a fourth of the maximum allowed power just for the GPS chip, not counting the power drawn by whatever interface circuitry you use to communicate with the camera or the power consumption of the flash parts (if somebody took a picture during acquisition).

It might not be impossible, but I'd expect it to be a lot of work.  :)

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2013, 04:19:18 PM »
If you own $10k+ of longer glass, I still think a built-for-war, high FPS, stellar focusing APS-C rig could sell for $2500 and be successful.

What fraction of Canon's intended 7DII market segment do you think owns $10K+ of longer glass?
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2013, 04:52:03 PM »
If you own $10k+ of longer glass, I still think a built-for-war, high FPS, stellar focusing APS-C rig could sell for $2500 and be successful.

What fraction of Canon's intended 7DII market segment do you think owns $10K+ of longer glass?

not me...

For me, the big reasons for upgrading to a 7D2 are better autofocus system and wifi that will allow remote control over the camera. Remote control is very useful for shooting birds at feeders or small animals that scurry away when you get close enough for a picture.
The best camera is the one in your hands

MichaelHodges

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2013, 04:52:34 PM »
I think the small differences from camera body to camera body are greatly exaggerated. More often than not it's people who collect cameras looking for an excuse to have something shiny and new (I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that, it's great...but don't disguise it as something else.)

At some point, those who must have improved low light ability are going to just buy full frame. There are only so many tricks for APS-C, so many machinations. I shoot low light in extreme conditions (national parks and wilderness in all seasons) and the 7D works pretty well for that. I'm not going to buy another APS-C unless there is a *significant* upgrade in dynamic range and RAW noise.  Improved AF and a flip out screen are nice, but the heart of a camera is the sensor.

Honestly I don't see the point in a $1900 7D II that has the image quality of the $1300 70D.

whothafunk

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2013, 04:55:42 PM »
people take this rumor as an absolute truth. its a RUMOR. second half of 2014? more than 12 months (again a rumor) until released? many things can change.
Canon 70D -- Canon 550D -- Canon 8-15L f4 Fisheye USM -- Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS USM II -- Canon 17-55 f2.8 IS USM

crasher8

« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2013, 05:23:48 PM »
people take this rumor as an absolute truth. its a RUMOR. second half of 2014? more than 12 months (again a rumor) until released? many things can change.

I know what will change…my sanity. Waiting for the body and reading posts on peoples beliefs on what this cameras shortcomings (and a few who will actually speak positively) are and how they are disappointed. This one will top the long waits and endless threads for the 200-400, 5D3 and even the Unicorn lenses (i.e. 14-24)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2013, 05:23:48 PM »

AlanF

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2013, 05:25:06 PM »
Well, it makes me pleased that I decided in January to buy a 5D III instead of waiting for the 7D II. 
5D III, 70D, Powershot SX50, 300/2.8 II, 1.4xTC III, 2xTC III, 70-200/4 IS, 24-105, 15-85, Sigma 10-20, Tamron 150-600.

ITshooter

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2013, 05:48:26 PM »
Here's a possible differentiation that no one's brought up: video-centric features.

The 70D has the new dual-pixel autofocus during video, and its inherited the All-I recording option found in the current-gen XD full frame cameras. But early sample footage suggests image quality isn't much better than that found in earlier ASP-C Canon models. Lots of artifacts, sub-HD resolution, etc.

That means the 7D II could feature some kind of significant step-up in video features. Maybe it will have a cleaner image, like the 5D Mark III (though I doubt it, if the 7D Mark II shares the 70D's sensor). Or maybe it will be a little sharper, like the 1DX, or even like the 35mm crop mode in the 1D-C. Or maybe Canon will do something really surprising, like implement decent video encoding. The much-ballyhooed All-I recording feature is better than the original implementation, but something that uses 4:2:2 color space would be nice, or that legitimately had a broadcast-ready bit rate.

Other rumors mentioned a 60fps burst mode, which has interesting photographic applications. That could produce 2.5 seconds of RAW 4K slow-mo footage, which opens up a world of applications currently unavailable to any Canon shooter--including the 1D-C crowd.

I think Canon could go this route without harming its other products.

The full frame models will have enough differentiation purely because of their larger sensors. The full frame aesthetic isn't possible on an ASP-C camera, at least not unless Speed Booster-style adaptors become more reliable and widely-adopted. For film people, it could make sense to have both an ASP-C body and a full-frame body, if Canon releases these hypothetical video enhancements. For stills people, meanwhile, if the 7D II shares the 70D's image sensor, full frame cameras are likewise still protected. So these video features present no loss to the XD full frame bodies, excluding losses that Canon is already evidently ready to accept (e.g. the company seems ready to accept some 5D Mark III losses among sports shooters by making the 7D Mark II a faster camera with a comparable autofocus system)

What about the C-series cameras? Well, the 7D II won't have the ergonomics of a C300, and that matters. If it didn't, Canon wouldn't be selling so many of the things. The RED Scarlet isn't much more money, and it produces better image quality in many ways. Still, the C300 still does very well because it allows faster workflows while offering, for most applications, video quality that's close enough to what one gets from RED. Plus there are other factors, such as built-in ND filters, audio ports, etc.

Also, Canon is going to have to move the lower-level C-series cameras to 4K relatively soon. Maybe not in the next year, but if the 7D Mark II is a 2014 camera, I wouldn't be surprised if a C300 mark II and a C100 mark II appeared shortly thereafter. If Black Magic ever gets its manufacturing act together, and if Sony keeps pushing hard on price, Canon's hand might be forced even sooner. So I don't think superior video specs on a 7D Mark II will cause any trouble with C-series bodies.

I constantly hear people talk about backlash when a company releases a superior spec on a downstream product-- i.e. is it possible some 5D Mark III users will be pissed if the 7D Mark II comes along with the video features they actually wanted? Sure, some people will grumble-- but they'd grumble more if Canon keeps relying on the same crappy video codecs.

The video improvements I've described could also help Canon with the Magic Lantern angle. I think Canon likes Magic Lantern in the sense that the hack encourages budget filmmakers to buy Canon DSLRs instead of, say, Nikon DSLRs, or something like the Sony FS100. But Canon also gets a lot of flack over Magic Lantern because the hacks illustrate how much Canon intentionally handicaps hardware. From Canon's perspective, this criticism isn't that big a deal, as it doesn't impact the markets where Canon makes its money-- e.g. consumers buying Rebels. But the markets it DOES annoy are still lucrative, both because there's a growing number of people in them, and because these people tend to buy more accessories than the average consumer. You'll find a million consumers who stick with the kit lens-- but try finding a wannabe filmmaker who hasn't begun investing in some fast primes, or who isn't salivating over something expensive, like the creamy bokeh of the 50L?

This is kind of a rambling post, but the point is this: I see lots of reasons for Canon to differentiate the 7D Mark II's video features in a major way, and not a lot of risk if the company chooses to do so.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 05:54:42 PM by ITshooter »
Cameras - 5D Mark III, 60D, EOS-M; Primes - Canon EF-M 22mm f/2, Canon 40mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f/1.4, Canon 85mm f/1.8, Tamron 90mm f/2.8 macro; Zooms - Tokina 11-16 f/2.8, Canon 24-105 f/4 L, Canon 70-200 f/4 L

Alejandro Calori

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2013, 05:49:30 PM »
GPS in the 7D MK II will mean a top plastic cover, just like the 6D. I don't like it.

One of the forts of the 7D was his extreme weather sealing and its durability.

sagittariansrock

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2013, 06:26:47 PM »
I'm not even a crop shooter and I still think the 7D2 could be dynamite if they 'pro' it up on build, framerate, AF, etc.   If you own $10k+ of longer glass, I still think a built-for-war, high FPS, stellar focusing APS-C rig could sell for $2500 and be successful.

- A

Not that I disagree with what you're saying, but as a current 7D owner (I may or not be a typical one) my main reason to upgrade would be better IQ across the ISO range, I'm already happy with the current 7D's build, framerate and AF spread (accuracy is another matter possibly, as discussed elsewhere). What you are describing is more a backup or second body to a shooter already heavily invested in glass and full frame bodies than an upgrade for somebody who has the 7D as their primary body.

+1

I am in the same boat. All I really want from my next camera is higher ISO sensitivity, otherwise I am very content with the 7D. Now, I had been hoping my next camera could be the 7DII and I am willing to wait a year if I know it will have what I want. However, this rumor makes me feel I should look to upgrade to a full frame- now, that involves replacing all my EF-S lenses with equivalent quality EF zooms, and that is a major headache financially since I don't make money out of this. Also, it is hard to upgrade from the 7DII to 6D and lose all the nice features I have gotten used to. So, that is a $ 2000 shocker right there, and that if I manage to get a good price on my used 7D and if I catch a good deal... Oh bummer!

EOS 5DIII, EOS 5D | Rokinon 14mm f/2.8, TS-E 17mm f/4L, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM, EF 35mm f/1.4L USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM, EF 135mm f/2L USM, EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM, 1.4x III, 2x III | 600-EX-RT x3 | EOS M + EF-M 22mm f/2

mdmphoto

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
    • Mike McReynolds Photography
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2013, 07:19:38 PM »
I've owned a 7D since shortly after its introduction.  I bought a 6D this past April.  On my recent trip I shot the 6D as my carry-around (still getting to know it) and anytime the light was low.  I used either/or in daylight.  Action (surfers, birds, etc.) in daylight was almost exclusively 7D.  The dynamic range of the 6D beats the 7D hands-down.  7D AF, AF points, frame rate is way above 6D capabilities.  My 7D captures almost double the frames my 6D does in the same amount of time.  I don't regret buying the 6D just for the increased ability to shoot well at night, and for better detail in my landscapes.  The 7D has survived so long because as a new breed it was far superior to the xxD line, and its features pushed the xD line; though it lacked xD DR & ISO capabilities most of these issues could be addressed in ppc.  Marry the best features of the two bodies together for a sure winner in the 7D MkII. 
6D, 7D,50D, 17-55IS, 24-105L, 70-200 Fl2.8L IS, 135L, tokina 16-28, 150-500 & a buffet more, 580 EXII, 430 EXII, AB 800's

Zv

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Zeeography (flickr)
« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2013, 07:48:26 PM »
Why would Canon put the sensor from a xxD line into a xD model? Shouldn't it be the other way round? A new sensor in the flagship APS-C body that will eventually trickle it's way downwards?

I'm liking my 7D more and more these days, and if this rumor were to be true I'd be keeping it. Might as well wait for the 5D4 or 6D2  at this rate!
5D II | 17-40L | 24-105L | 70-200 f4L IS | 135L | SY 14 2.8 | Sigma 50 1.4

EOS M | 11-22 IS STM | 22 STM | FD 50 1.4

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2013, 07:48:26 PM »

Lee Jay

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2013, 07:49:01 PM »
Maybe they want to release a full frame with on sensor PDAF at the same time.

brad-man

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2013, 08:23:57 PM »
Why would Canon put the sensor from a xxD line into a xD model? Shouldn't it be the other way round? A new sensor in the flagship APS-C body that will eventually trickle it's way downwards?

I'm liking my 7D more and more these days, and if this rumor were to be true I'd be keeping it. Might as well wait for the 5D4 or 6D2  at this rate!

+1   I think it's pretty much a given that the new 7D will have outstanding AF, but I find it hard to believe that the sensor improvement will be so marginal. If true, then I guess Canon really is having trouble in the sensor development area. Looks like I'll be keeping my 7D around for quite some time as well.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2013, 08:23:57 PM »