September 16, 2014, 05:40:44 AM

Author Topic: EOS 7D Mark II Information [CR2]  (Read 44451 times)

ITshooter

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
Re: EOS 7D Mark II Information [CR2]
« Reply #45 on: August 03, 2013, 08:32:11 PM »
I've owned a 7D since shortly after its introduction.  I bought a 6D this past April.  On my recent trip I shot the 6D as my carry-around (still getting to know it) and anytime the light was low.  I used either/or in daylight.  Action (surfers, birds, etc.) in daylight was almost exclusively 7D.  The dynamic range of the 6D beats the 7D hands-down.  7D AF, AF points, frame rate is way above 6D capabilities.  My 7D captures almost double the frames my 6D does in the same amount of time.  I don't regret buying the 6D just for the increased ability to shoot well at night, and for better detail in my landscapes.  The 7D has survived so long because as a new breed it was far superior to the xxD line, and its features pushed the xD line; though it lacked xD DR & ISO capabilities most of these issues could be addressed in ppc.  Marry the best features of the two bodies together for a sure winner in the 7D MkII.

I'm not sure I'd personally have made the same decision, with respect to camera usage, but I can see why you did. When I upgraded my a Rebel to a 60D, the 60D felt substantially more robust and sophisticated. And I got great shots with it that I was able to use in professional capacities. But I've used my 5D Mark III almost exclusively for more than a year, and when I recently picked up the 60D for the first time in months, I was astonished: The camera felt like a toy. I'd always rolled my eyes when people - elitists, I once presumed - said things like that in the past, but I found myself forced to agree. I think the 6D's image quality advantage would make use it over a 7D in a lot of situations, but I can imagine someone sticking with the 7D in all but low light and tripod work, just for the ergonomics and responsiveness.

Maybe that's Canon's plan. The sensors might not be the revelation that was previously rumored, but if the 7D Mark II's build quality and other features are top-notch, maybe the sensor doesn't have to be.

I'd loved to be proved wrong on that front, though. It's interesting that this rumor, which conflicts with many in the past, has been given a CR2. Not sure if that indicates corroboration from several sources, or a single rumor from a known source. But of all the 7D Mark II gossip to come along lately, this one is both the least exciting, and, based on Canon's recent APS-C strategy, the most likely.
Cameras - 5D Mark III, 60D, EOS-M; Primes - Canon EF-M 22mm f/2, Canon 40mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f/1.4, Canon 85mm f/1.8, Tamron 90mm f/2.8 macro; Zooms - Tokina 11-16 f/2.8, Canon 24-105 f/4 L, Canon 70-200 f/4 L

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: August 03, 2013, 08:32:11 PM »

Rat

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2013, 09:07:41 PM »
There's no reason to swap or sell a 7D for any other crop body. However, there is one feature which would change that, and that is in-camera IS.
A stabilized sensor means no stabilized viewfinder image. And especially for the longer lenses, I think that's a big turnoff.
5DIII, 17-40, 24-105, 70-200/4IS, 50/1.8II, 85/1.8 and a truckload of gimmicks and bits.

AprilForever

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • AprilForever.com
« Reply #47 on: August 03, 2013, 09:13:06 PM »
Why nay a better fiercer sensor? when's that smaller process thingie going to get soem action?
What is truth?

dgatwood

• 5D Mark III
  • 300D, 400D, 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 03, 2013, 09:23:51 PM »
There's no reason to swap or sell a 7D for any other crop body. However, there is one feature which would change that, and that is in-camera IS.
A stabilized sensor means no stabilized viewfinder image. And especially for the longer lenses, I think that's a big turnoff.

Not necessarily.  There's no reason you couldn't use sensor stabilization only when the lens doesn't have stabilization or when you're shooting video (where the lower audible noise of sensor stabilization is a potential win).

For that matter, there's no reason you couldn't use the built-in lens stabilization for correction while you're shooting and then combine it with sensor stabilization for more precise correction beyond the precision of the lens's stabilizer, or use the lens stabilization only as you start to reach the limits of the sensor stabilization to minimize the lens stabilization's effect on bokeh.

With such a scheme, wide-angle lenses could usually get away with not having in-lens IS, which would reduce the cost considerably, whereas telephoto lenses (which benefit more from in-lens IS) could continue to have in-lens IS.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 09:25:44 PM by dgatwood »

michael6liu

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 03, 2013, 09:27:53 PM »
Like many who already posted here, if this rumor is true, I will not be getting the MKII. Chances are, I will get rid of my rest APS-C altogether.
6D, 7D, 24-70 f/2.8L II, 50 f/1.8, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 100 f2.8L Macro, 600EX-RT

x-vision

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 03, 2013, 09:33:24 PM »
Realising this is a rumour, so with that in mind....

IF it was to have the same sensor as the 70D, which by some accounts will have little improvement at RAW level compared to the current 7D etc, I figure I may as well put my money towards a full frame body upgrade, which of course, may all be part of Canon's grand plan......

+1000

garyknrd

• Rebel T5i
  • Birding
    • View Profile
    • Bird photography
« Reply #51 on: August 03, 2013, 09:45:33 PM »
Pretty much what I expected really. Not wanting, but expecting. Keep saving my pennies until they have something I like.  ;) 
Live between Thailand and Texas, USA

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: August 03, 2013, 09:45:33 PM »

x-vision

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 03, 2013, 09:48:40 PM »
people take this rumor as an absolute truth. its a RUMOR. second half of 2014? more than 12 months (again a rumor) until released? many things can change.

+1

It's quite believable, though, that the 7DII will come in the second half of 2014.
I was actually thinking that the 7DII will get announced in March next year.
Now July-August seems more likely.

On the other hand, I don't believe that the 7DII will have the 70D sensor.
Canon won't be able to charge too much premium for the 7DII if it has the same sensor as the 70D - regardless of AF.

So, we'll see.

xps

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 04, 2013, 03:20:34 AM »
I heared from some nature photographers that the NikonD400 will be released in the same time (Rumors!). Maybe Canon will try to meet its specs. 24 MP, good iso performance, 9fps,...
They have to hurry on. I would be disappointed, if DR and an high Iso quality will not be much better then my current 7D or 60D

My local dealer told me that the announced 70D will be shipped in the end of september :-(  A long time from announcement.
Maybe the 7D2 will be announced in the winter and sold in summer.... To keep some of us from converting to Nikon....

By the way:
I will see. I own 15 Canon mount lenses. But if Canon will always be third in my favour disciplines, a switch will be possible. Sigma and maybe another lens-maker will offer an mount converion. Maybe my third body will be an Nikon for Landscape with some Sigma lenses...

whothafunk

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 04, 2013, 03:21:59 AM »
The same person also said a new lower end camera would be released in the first half of 2014.
750D? who cares!
Canon 70D -- Canon 550D -- Canon 8-15L f4 Fisheye USM -- Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS USM II -- Canon 17-55 f2.8 IS USM

xps

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 04, 2013, 03:23:56 AM »
Pretty much what I expected really. Not wanting, but expecting. Keep saving my pennies until they have something I like.  ;)

Yesss.....the D400.......  ;D

True. But it is disappointing that every other manufacturer build more "fitting" cameras then Canon does in these days. (My opinion on this theme)

xps

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 04, 2013, 03:25:48 AM »
The same person also said a new lower end camera would be released in the first half of 2014.
750D? who cares!

As Neuroanatomist wrote:Canons cash cows are theses cheaper bodies or the pocket cameras. In future small cameras with big sensors

whothafunk

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 04, 2013, 03:57:36 AM »
i know that. still, who cares about another rebel. i am really disappointed at the 7D2's "late" arrival. people want it!
Canon 70D -- Canon 550D -- Canon 8-15L f4 Fisheye USM -- Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS USM II -- Canon 17-55 f2.8 IS USM

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #57 on: August 04, 2013, 03:57:36 AM »

dflt

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 04, 2013, 04:40:25 AM »
Maybe Canon doesn't wanna cannibalize its full frame market with a superior quality sensor. Why would you buy an FF sensor dslr if you have a superb apsc sensor dslr with awesome iq? So if you are an IQ freak, go for the FF and if you are an enthusiast and/or really doesnt care about iq that much, then go for the apsc.

or

99,5 percent of the consumers doesnt care about the sensor features, since they cant even tell the difference between the final output. They want a solid AF and video options. Thats all.

Canon 69D

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 04, 2013, 05:02:08 AM »
Just wondering, in the article. It referred to a new "lower end" model.

Would this be another APS-C Camera? It is going to be above the 70D?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #59 on: August 04, 2013, 05:02:08 AM »