Gear Talk > Lighting

Light Meter Help

(1/3) > >>

Wildeye:
I am new to the form and have read little on light meters.  I have a Minolta 4F and am wanting to know what everyone else uses.  I am in the market for a new one.  My local shop sells Polaris and Sekonic.  I do not know much about them.  Is there anything that compares to the older Minolta 4F?  I am not really wanting to spend more than $250 on a new light meter.  I am into outdoor photography if that helps, nature and landscapes.  Thanks for your help.

jondave:
It's purely a matter of preference. I'm using a Sekonic 758D, it has a 1-degree spot meter function which allows you to meter far away objects with its viewfinder, though this model would  be out of your budget. Best to read reviews, see which features match up well with your Minolta.

Halfrack:
I guess I don't understand why you're moving away from the one you have.  Where or when does the 4F lead you astray or is it just dead and you need to move on?

The L-358 Sekonic is a standard issue one in lots of rental shops, and easy to use.

Viggo:
If you're using it with flash outside, I find the Sekonic to meter 1 to 1,5 stops too low, always. VERY annoying and kind of make the point of it go away. I have learned to just set my camera a stop faster to compensate. But I would have preferred it to just work. Haven't tried any other types, but I have tried two of the Sekonic (308) and they did the same thing.

Wildeye:

--- Quote from: Halfrack on August 05, 2013, 01:06:34 AM ---I guess I don't understand why you're moving away from the one you have.  Where or when does the 4F lead you astray or is it just dead and you need to move on?

The L-358 Sekonic is a standard issue one in lots of rental shops, and easy to use.

--- End quote ---

Yes, it just doesn't work any more.  So, my other question would be...get another 4F or have advancements been made and I need to go with a better one?  Plus the 4F is no longer being made, from what I can find.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version