July 23, 2014, 06:23:35 PM

Author Topic: Photographer logo?  (Read 7107 times)

Tabor Warren Photography

• Rebel T5i
  • I want to go shoot something with a Canon...
    • View Profile
    • Tabor Warren Photography
Re: Photographer logo?
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2013, 08:55:14 AM »
The watermark I use was created in about 7 minutes while I was in a hurry to upload something on facebook, however, creating the thing in a hurry may not have been a bad idea for the sole reason that the watermark lacks complexity. As others have mentioned, if you are going to use one and let it be known, people have to be able to figure it out so they can look you up on Google. If you're doing it for copyright reasons alone then it can be more subtle, yet I took the more obvious approach. Pardon the large files and CR's compressing of the images, as the entire image should be seen.

I hope this helps,
-Tabor
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 08:56:51 AM by Tabor Warren Photography »
Bodies: 5D mk III x2, 5D mk. II, 7D, & 60D
Lenses: 17-40mm f/4L, 24mm f/1.4L, 35mm f/1.4L, 70-200mm f/2.8L ISII, 85 f/1.2L II, & 100mm f/2.8L
Flashes: 600EX-RT x2 & 430 EX II | To see my work head on over to http://photosbytabor.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2013, 08:55:14 AM »

Zv

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Zee-bytes
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2013, 09:50:26 AM »
This is a great thread btw! I've been looking to improve my logo / watermark but as I'm not a graphic designer I haven't got a clue where to begin. I just use a simple font with white text in the corner. I tried googling my watermark and it came up with a few hits from an old website I hardly use. Looks like there are loads of folk using the same name as me! Should I change it? I like the idea of a logo though rather than text. Seems more recognizable.
5D II | 17-40L | 24-105L | 70-200 f4L IS | 135L | SY 14mm f/2.8 | Sigma 50 f/1.4

EOS M | 22 f/2 | 11-22 IS

Jay Khaos

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2013, 10:09:20 AM »
The copyright thing is kind of a big misconception.  Anything created by anyone is technically copyrighted, but that doesn't mean much.  Having raw files or design files is the only way you can prove it's yours, and even then, good luck doing something about the stolen image unless it was stolen by a company in your country and used for gain, or posted on a legitimate website that will take it down once you can prove it's yours... and in both of those situations, having the copyright doesn't legally do anything or help you.  The only time adding a legal mark will help you is if you've paid to register something with a trademark.

Here is mine, the simple type "caslux". 
It's not 100% finalized.  I have yet to watermark any photo Ive taken.  I may do something different with the C, but my thinking is:

I do branding/identity design every day, so part of my motivation was to NOT do what I'd normally do that clients normally expect... no monogram, no conceptual icon... just a simple font thats only unique enough to separate itself from the most common slab fonts but no extra, unecessary elements.  Basically the extreme of what I preach to clients.  Clients think minimal means they are getting less for their money, usually. The work becomes presenting the logo.. so this kind of just helps my argument for simplicity and lets me demonstrate the flexibility of having a minimal logo.

In use, the logo will be used alongside photos and graphic design.  Keeping the type this simple (and greyscale), lets the logo remain non-distractive to the subject, and works regardless of the theme/tone/color palette of the subject.  It can also be incorporated easily with other elements
5DIII | 85mm f1.2L • 70-200mm f2.8L IS II • 50mm f1.8 II

Jay Khaos

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2013, 10:19:14 AM »
This is a great thread btw! I've been looking to improve my logo / watermark but as I'm not a graphic designer I haven't got a clue where to begin. I just use a simple font with white text in the corner. I tried googling my watermark and it came up with a few hits from an old website I hardly use. Looks like there are loads of folk using the same name as me! Should I change it? I like the idea of a logo though rather than text. Seems more recognizable.

I don't think there's anything wrong with not having a symbol.  Although on the other hand it could be appropriate for you (depending on your name, URL, etc).  I would only suggest making the decision to add one with a good reason.  It's always good to be recognizable, but you can accomplish that through making the actual font unique.  But at the end of the day, people will remember the name more than a fancy/clever illustration.

The only symbol I've seen in a logo that seems appropriate enough, simple, and consistently non-obtrusive against different subjects is the cliche aperture blade one.  Like Lewis said, that's way over done... so attempting it would probably fall flat as a logo unless you can come up with an equally as simple, but new/creative/clean rendition of it

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2013, 10:42:20 AM »
The key thing to remind folks is that while a creative logo can stand out, unless it is easily entered into google to find you, it's more or less worthless.  Lots of script/signature logos can be too hard to translate.  My line is Sal Cincotta's - and that he does it in white against a black background means I can't post it here and have it show up...

http://salcincotta.com/

Seriously? This is Sal Cincotta?

Oh man...loved your Creative Live classes!!

cayenne

florianbieler.de

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • florianbieler.de photography
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2013, 11:14:58 AM »

No, he is not. Just stated that he got "inspired" by his logo or whatever.
EOS 5D Mark III · Canon 17-40 4.0L · Sigma 35 1.4 · Sigma 85 1.4 · Canon 70-200 4.0L IS · Tamron 150-600 5-6.3 VC
EOS M · Canon 22 2.0 · florianbieler.de

Tabor Warren Photography

• Rebel T5i
  • I want to go shoot something with a Canon...
    • View Profile
    • Tabor Warren Photography
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2013, 11:25:21 AM »
The copyright thing is kind of a big misconception.  Anything created by anyone is technically copyrighted, but that doesn't mean much.  Having raw files or design files is the only way you can prove it's yours, and even then, good luck doing something about the stolen image unless it was stolen by a company in your country and used for gain, or posted on a legitimate website that will take it down once you can prove it's yours... and in both of those situations, having the copyright doesn't legally do anything or help you.  The only time adding a legal mark will help you is if you've paid to register something with a trademark.

(For the OP regarding copyright) I fully agree with the quote above as well as florianbieler's regarding the legality/need for a watermark.

Cheers,
-Tabor
Bodies: 5D mk III x2, 5D mk. II, 7D, & 60D
Lenses: 17-40mm f/4L, 24mm f/1.4L, 35mm f/1.4L, 70-200mm f/2.8L ISII, 85 f/1.2L II, & 100mm f/2.8L
Flashes: 600EX-RT x2 & 430 EX II | To see my work head on over to http://photosbytabor.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2013, 11:25:21 AM »

nick2341

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2013, 11:43:31 AM »
Like a few others here, I'm a graphic designer first and photographer second. My current logo is fairly recent. I don't normally tag my images, but when I do I have a few ways of doing it. I try to keep it unobtrusive and place it where it makes sense. A lot of my images end up being used in design projects so sometimes placing my logo over them makes them look like a full on advertisement.

The tag looks small here, but it's all shrunk proportionally to not take up your whole screen. :)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 11:53:00 AM by nick2341 »

sleepnever

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2013, 11:58:44 AM »
I agree with your general statement. I have a good friend who is an IP/Patent attorney and he said its a friggen nightmare and that my best bet, is to put MY name with the year on my images. Then of course have a copy of the RAW files and that's about the best you can do without going whole hog like corporations and full businesses do. Hence the "poor-man's copyright" comment. Its kinda like the old idea of coming up with a concept, writing it all down and snail-mailing it to yourself in a sealed envelope that you'd only ever open in front of a judge with the US Post Mark date on the front. /shrug
Canon 5D3 | 50mm f1.4  | 24-70 f2.8L | 100 f2.8L IS Macro | 430EX II
Flickr

Joynt Inspirations

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2013, 12:30:12 PM »
I've learned to hate so many watermarks when I find they are too obvious, they draw my eye instead of the photograph itself. I use a shortened version of my company name, just the initials. To my eye they're out of the way, and blend into each photo yet are still visible enough that someone can't just rip off the image.

This is an older shot, but it's got the watermark.

Right up to the end by Joynt Inspirations, on Flickr

Jay Khaos

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2013, 12:55:43 PM »
I agree with your general statement. I have a good friend who is an IP/Patent attorney and he said its a friggen nightmare and that my best bet, is to put MY name with the year on my images. Then of course have a copy of the RAW files and that's about the best you can do without going whole hog like corporations and full businesses do. Hence the "poor-man's copyright" comment. Its kinda like the old idea of coming up with a concept, writing it all down and snail-mailing it to yourself in a sealed envelope that you'd only ever open in front of a judge with the US Post Mark date on the front. /shrug

I don't have experience with challenging a stolen photo online, but I do have experience with other digital content.  I make and sell 3D content in an online game.  People buy it directly from my account.  Hackers can copy (pirate) the content and resell it or give it away under their own name.  I can fill out DMCA paperwork along with screenshots of the items in the 3D software, and the game company will remove the pirated items from circulation and delete the accounts that were responsible. BUT, they cant really stop people from exporting the files as XML and posting them to third party forums where others can download and import them back into the game... that would be up to the forum domain owner

Basically it's up to whoever is in charge to enforce it... for example, flickr would take someone's photo down if you posted it first and report them.  A friend of mine had her portfolio listings on Behance.net removed without notice because the company they were designed for found them and decided to file a DMCA complaint since the designs she posted weren't the final versions signed off on... even though she did make them... and in that situation it was Behance who honored the complaint and removed it, not any kind of law enforcer...

Halfrack

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2013, 01:38:56 PM »

No, he is not. Just stated that he got "inspired" by his logo or whatever.
Not inspired, that is the line between readable and not readable.  The script works based on the letters in his name, but for some names, script fonts can become illegible.
"Me owning a lens shop is kind of like having an alcoholic bar tender." - Roger Cicala

michi

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2013, 02:05:06 PM »
Watermarks have always bothered me.  You spend all that time composing, and then you add something that doesn't belong there.  I totally understand that for your business you would want that of course, or if you are looking to be recognized.  To each their own, not a naysayer, just my opinion.

I have always thought about, but never suceeded, in making a sort of invisible watermark.  Something like my initials added somewhere in the shot, but only visible if you zoomed in and knew where it was.  I that case, someone who stole the picture wouldn't know it's there, and thus wouldn't try to just "fix" it with photo editing software.  I that case, you could just zoom in and say, "how come your shot has my initials in the corner here?".

I have done this manually, by just typing my initials into the shot in just barely the same color as where I put it, but I don't know how you could automatically apply it to every picture.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2013, 02:05:06 PM »

spinworkxroy

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2013, 03:01:33 PM »
For me, a logo isn't so much to "protect" the image for getting copied. I don't think my images are good enough that people want to copy them anyways.
I put a logo more to spread the word about who i am and what I do and IF by some chance someone chances upon it, at least the name is there and maybe they can search either on facebook or google for me.
And since I do mainly portraits, it's good to get "noticed"

Here's a sample of my logo and well, it's a Panda..not my usual people photos.

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2013, 04:07:55 PM »
Do ya'll have opinion one way or the other....regarding having your NAME as part of your business name and logo?

Do you feel it is better to put your first and last (or one or the other) as part of your company name, or do you feel it is better to have a company name that is not your name?

You think it is better to have Joe Shmoe Photography, or better to maybe have XYZ Photography, and maybe on your images  have something like "XYZ Photography by Joe Shmoe"....

Just curious. I'm a bit of a privacy concious person, I don't do facebook, twitter..etc.

However, I would consider possibly having a FB account, but I'd rather ONLY put company info there and leave my name out of it....so, wondering if ya'll see that as a negative affect on a business...or does it make any difference whatsoever?

Thanks in advance,

cayenne

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2013, 04:07:55 PM »