July 28, 2014, 01:25:03 AM

Author Topic: RRS (et al) gimbal heads - ok on right-hand side of lens?  (Read 1140 times)

Jim Saunders

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
RRS (et al) gimbal heads - ok on right-hand side of lens?
« on: August 06, 2013, 11:18:26 PM »
Is there any reason a gimbal mount couldn't be installed so that the upright is on the right side of the lens?  All the ads I've seen have it on the left.  I suppose that leads to the follow-on question, are they shown on the left for a reason?  It seems they're in the way of all the controls that way.

Jim
I'd probably do better to invest more time and less money.

canon rumors FORUM

RRS (et al) gimbal heads - ok on right-hand side of lens?
« on: August 06, 2013, 11:18:26 PM »

kaihp

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
Re: RRS (et al) gimbal heads - ok on right-hand side of lens?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013, 11:28:08 PM »
Is there any reason a gimbal mount couldn't be installed so that the upright is on the right side of the lens?  All the ads I've seen have it on the left.  I suppose that leads to the follow-on question, are they shown on the left for a reason?  It seems they're in the way of all the controls that way.

I have no idea why they do that, but I've happily used my Benro gimbal on the right side of my 400/28IS (the heavy MF) and 50D.

Jim Saunders

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2013, 11:30:54 PM »

I have no idea why they do that, but I've happily used my Benro gimbal on the right side of my 400/28IS (the heavy MF) and 50D.

Thank you for the answer; I figured as much but I don't want to leap that far without looking!

Jim

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 12:03:39 AM »
You can mount it on either side.  I suspect mounting with the upright on the left side of the lens is more common (it's the way I do it, at least) - since your right hand is usually on the camera (shutter button, exposure settings, etc.), having the gimbal controls (tension, lock in place, granted - not much to control) on the left side makes sense.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

AudioGlenn

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 01:18:39 AM »
You can mount it on either side.  I suspect mounting with the upright on the left side of the lens is more common (it's the way I do it, at least) - since your right hand is usually on the camera (shutter button, exposure settings, etc.), having the gimbal controls (tension, lock in place, granted - not much to control) on the left side makes sense.

That's what I was thinking.  since a lot your controls are on the right, It seems like the gimbal could get in the way.
5D mkIII  |  40 f/2.8 | 8-15 f/4L | 24-70 f/2.8L II | 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | 1.4x III TC | 600ex-rt | 430 ex ii | EOS M+22mm f/2 | EF to EF-M adapter

weixing

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2013, 02:25:36 AM »
Hi,
   I mount with the upright on the right side, so that the compact shotgun mic on my camera hot shoe will not get in the way when doing a vertical shot.

Have a nice day.

Jim Saunders

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2013, 08:28:34 AM »
Thank you all for the feedback!  Maybe I'll rent one this weekend and see what feels right.

Jim

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2013, 08:28:34 AM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2013, 11:01:52 AM »
I'm a leftie, but with the Wimberly, the Gimbal on the left felt right for me even though its a right handed setup.

It can be done either way, but having the shutter button under my right hand and the gimbal tension control / lock in my left worked well.  Getting it balanced is the important thing.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2013, 11:01:52 AM »