October 22, 2014, 09:18:15 AM

Author Topic: RRS (et al) gimbal heads - ok on right-hand side of lens?  (Read 1229 times)

Jim Saunders

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
RRS (et al) gimbal heads - ok on right-hand side of lens?
« on: August 06, 2013, 11:18:26 PM »
Is there any reason a gimbal mount couldn't be installed so that the upright is on the right side of the lens?  All the ads I've seen have it on the left.  I suppose that leads to the follow-on question, are they shown on the left for a reason?  It seems they're in the way of all the controls that way.

Jim
See what I see: 6500K, 160 cd/m^2, ICC 2, gamma 2.2.

canon rumors FORUM

RRS (et al) gimbal heads - ok on right-hand side of lens?
« on: August 06, 2013, 11:18:26 PM »

kaihp

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
Re: RRS (et al) gimbal heads - ok on right-hand side of lens?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013, 11:28:08 PM »
Is there any reason a gimbal mount couldn't be installed so that the upright is on the right side of the lens?  All the ads I've seen have it on the left.  I suppose that leads to the follow-on question, are they shown on the left for a reason?  It seems they're in the way of all the controls that way.

I have no idea why they do that, but I've happily used my Benro gimbal on the right side of my 400/28IS (the heavy MF) and 50D.

Jim Saunders

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2013, 11:30:54 PM »

I have no idea why they do that, but I've happily used my Benro gimbal on the right side of my 400/28IS (the heavy MF) and 50D.

Thank you for the answer; I figured as much but I don't want to leap that far without looking!

Jim

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 12:03:39 AM »
You can mount it on either side.  I suspect mounting with the upright on the left side of the lens is more common (it's the way I do it, at least) - since your right hand is usually on the camera (shutter button, exposure settings, etc.), having the gimbal controls (tension, lock in place, granted - not much to control) on the left side makes sense.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

AudioGlenn

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 01:18:39 AM »
You can mount it on either side.  I suspect mounting with the upright on the left side of the lens is more common (it's the way I do it, at least) - since your right hand is usually on the camera (shutter button, exposure settings, etc.), having the gimbal controls (tension, lock in place, granted - not much to control) on the left side makes sense.

That's what I was thinking.  since a lot your controls are on the right, It seems like the gimbal could get in the way.
5D mkIII  |  40 f/2.8 | 8-15 f/4L | 24-70 f/2.8L II | 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | 1.4x III TC | 600ex-rt | 430 ex ii | EOS M+22mm f/2 | EF to EF-M adapter

weixing

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2013, 02:25:36 AM »
Hi,
   I mount with the upright on the right side, so that the compact shotgun mic on my camera hot shoe will not get in the way when doing a vertical shot.

Have a nice day.

Jim Saunders

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2013, 08:28:34 AM »
Thank you all for the feedback!  Maybe I'll rent one this weekend and see what feels right.

Jim

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2013, 08:28:34 AM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2013, 11:01:52 AM »
I'm a leftie, but with the Wimberly, the Gimbal on the left felt right for me even though its a right handed setup.

It can be done either way, but having the shutter button under my right hand and the gimbal tension control / lock in my left worked well.  Getting it balanced is the important thing.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2013, 11:01:52 AM »