August 23, 2014, 02:46:35 PM

Author Topic: Backbutton Focus..do you use it? Pros? Cons? How hard to get used to it?  (Read 22406 times)

7Dneilan

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
Re: Backbutton Focus..do you use it? Pros? Cons? How hard to get used to it?
« Reply #105 on: September 29, 2013, 09:58:21 PM »
Dear Valvebounce / Graham,

Sorry also for your personal situation. Posts like these must seem trivial when you're experiencing that.

Point taken about handing over the gear. I've only been doing this for 5mins, so guess I'm pretty naïve.

Cheers,
D.
7D, 24-105 f4L, 70-200 f2.8L IS II, 580EX II

CharlieB

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 29, 2013, 11:17:54 PM »
Well... old dog, new tricks.

After reading this thread, a while ago after it first started, I set my 5Dii and 7D up for back button focus.   It took just a little bit of getting used to, but... overall, I'm very happy with keeping focus and AE/Shutter on different buttons.  Best thing, is you get to focus, then compose and shoot multiple shots without having to worry about the camera re-focusing for every shot.  Simple.  I can always touch up the focus with the touch of a button.   This is how we tended to shoot in the film/non-AF days.  You'd focus, then worry about exposure and composition.  Like I said, old dog, new trick.    Every once in a while still... I get caught off guard, but it only takes a very brief moment and I'm on my game again, and thumb is on button to focus.  I can't see going back to having it all on the shutter release.

Valvebounce

• 1D Mark IV
  • Still can't use most of it to it's full potential!
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 30, 2013, 02:24:32 PM »
Hi. D.
Thanks for your thoughts. That makes two naive then as I did hand it over thinking it would work out and didn't even check.

Cheers Graham.

Dear Valvebounce / Graham,

Sorry also for your personal situation. Posts like these must seem trivial when you're experiencing that.

Point taken about handing over the gear. I've only been doing this for 5mins, so guess I'm pretty naïve.

Cheers,
D.
7D + Grip, 40D + Grip, 20D, EF-S 17-85 Kit lens, EF 70-200 f2.8 L IS II USM, EF 2x III, Sigma 150-500, Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 C, 50mm f1.8, 550EX some Filters Remotes Macro tubes Tripod heads etc!
20D, BG-E2N, 17-85mm, 50mm are pre loved. :)
(300D Saved a holiday, E-FS 18-55 Cosina 100-300 retired)

curby

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 03, 2013, 02:12:21 PM »
I think of back button focus as 'manual focus using a button'

Great way of putting it.  Now you have full time manual focus (with most modern lenses at least) and full time auto focus.  Best of all worlds if you have enough finger coordination to manage an extra button. 

I got the 70D and am doing back button focus with DoF preview button being a single-shot AF/Servo AF toggle.  My only question is whether to have SS or Servo be the default (with the alternate on the DoF button).  I like the beep+flash AF confirmation of the SS, but I like the continual tracking of the Servo.  Hmm..  ???

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 03, 2013, 02:26:14 PM »
Again for those who don't to have to used to it or who find it slows things down a touch or is awkward even after time, consider setting the back AF button not to DO AF but to STOP AF. So you keep AF with the main trigger (half-pressed for AI servo), but for the times you don't want that blocked just hold the back AF button (even more easily just use the front ring buttons on super teles if you have those). Now if you are doing absolutely nothing but focus and recompose then maybe just put af to af back button, but otherwise, personally, I don't like that at all and if I need to stop AF then I use the stop AF function instead.

So just another thing to consider. It doesn't have to be the YOU MUST SET THE AF TO THE BACK BUTTON THING as it is made to seem in many a forum, if not always in the real world. And there are other ways to control it specially.

Some big sports guys actually don't use back button AF, but keep it on the trigger and use the AF stop functions if they need to stop it, or simply half-finger lift when that alone works.

wsmith96

• 7D
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 09, 2013, 06:44:27 PM »
I just set up my rebel this way.  Took a while for me to get used too, and I actually switched it back for a while.  I ended up missing some football action shots because I kept forgetting that I has switched to the back button.  That's just learning curve though.
What I do today is important because I am exchanging a day of my life for it.

Zv

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Zee-bytes
« Reply #111 on: October 10, 2013, 08:23:30 AM »
I just set up my rebel this way.  Took a while for me to get used too, and I actually switched it back for a while.  I ended up missing some football action shots because I kept forgetting that I has switched to the back button.  That's just learning curve though.

But once you make that mistake, which everyone including me totally does the first time round, you'll never forget!

One way to help remind you is the "beep". If you don't hear it you know what to do.
5D II | 17-40L | 24-105L | 70-200 f4L IS | 135L | SY 14mm f/2.8 | Sigma 50 f/1.4

EOS M | 22 f/2 | 11-22 IS

pedro

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 10, 2013, 09:09:21 AM »
I set it up as soon as I found out that there was a setting mode on my trusty rusty 30D. The 5Diii has it as a standard function, and I'd never go back to any other method.
30D, EF-S 10-22/ 5DIII, 16-35 F/2.8 L USM II, 28 F/2.8, 50 F/1.4, 85 F/1.8, 70-200 F/2.8 classic,
join me at http://www.flickr.com/groups/insane_isos/

DominoDude

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 23, 2013, 05:06:36 PM »
For those mentioning problems with handing the camera over to someone else. If I hand over the camera to someone else it is either because I'm being robbed, or someone is buying it from me.

You've never been on vacation with the family or wife...  ???

With my gear I couldn't afford to have a wife... and if I could, I have a backup body in that case. ;)
The belittling of others, won't make you greater.

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #114 on: October 24, 2013, 01:49:20 AM »
For those mentioning problems with handing the camera over to someone else. If I hand over the camera to someone else it is either because I'm being robbed, or someone is buying it from me.

You've never been on vacation with the family or wife...  ???

With my gear I couldn't afford to have a wife... and if I could, I have a backup body in that case. ;)

My wife knows how to use BBF and Av at least.  Teaching her would be more beneficial and more efficient.

DRR

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 24, 2013, 09:55:20 AM »
One small annoyance I have with backbutton focus, is when I wear my camera with my Optech strap, it rubs against my body and it activates the backbutton focus button on my battery grip. So I'll be wearing it and if I have a louder lens, I can hear it focusing the whole time. WHIIIR, WHIR. WHIR, WHHHHIR.

It's not so much a problem with the button on the camera, which is recessed, but it is not recessed on the grip.

Overall I like it though, one button to focus, another to lock exposure. You get used to it quickly.

RustyTheGeek

• Buy and Sell
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Images I've Shot...
« Reply #116 on: October 25, 2013, 11:05:05 AM »
Ditto to everything above.  Use it, love it, didn't take long to get used to it.
Yes, but what would  surapon  say ??  :D

Nicky Savage

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 08, 2013, 08:10:31 PM »
If you have the camera in AI servo mode what Af area select mode would you mostly use ?

I am a bit confused on what is genarally the best...

Nicky..

curby

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 08, 2013, 09:14:17 PM »
I'm just getting started, but I do AI Servo, back button focus, and usually center point active.  Focus and recompose is so easy, just make sure that when you swivel, you aren't moving the subject out of your DoF.  I guess BoF and sports could make use of more active points.  Like I said, I'm still learning. =)

mwh1964

• EOS M2
  • 5D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 08, 2013, 09:36:14 PM »
Use it all the time. Very convenient. Easy to get used to and then you will never go back. Quite funny when somebody hand over their canon or whatever to take their sorrow tourist picture and one don't understand why the damn thing won't focus pushing all the buttons on the back. If I hand the camera over I put it in green Sq.
5D3 | EOS M + 22 STM | 16-35L IS | 24-70L II | 24-105L | 70-200L II | 70-300L | 15 fisheye | 35 IS | 40 STM | 50 f1.4 | 100L | B&W Kaesemann | 2 x 600 EX-RT | ST-E3-RT | MR14-EX | Manfrotto | Billingham | Lowepro | Think Tank