April 19, 2014, 12:45:13 AM

Author Topic: Backbutton Focus..do you use it? Pros? Cons? How hard to get used to it?  (Read 18439 times)

GaryJ

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Re: Backbutton Focus..do you use it? Pros? Cons? How hard to get used to it?
« Reply #60 on: August 09, 2013, 05:44:02 AM »
Used for years on 7D, would not go back to single button,rear button is the go.Wish they had this in the 70's...
7D,6D,100mmL IS f2.8 Macro,70-300mm L,MPE-65, 24-105 f4 L,50mm f1.8,70-200mm L f4,Siggy 150mmf2.8 Macro, Tokina 11-16mm

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #60 on: August 09, 2013, 05:44:02 AM »

mw

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 12, 2013, 07:19:23 PM »
For continuous shooting, do you keep pushing on the back button to keep focus, or press it once, let go, and start shooting?

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 12, 2013, 07:22:39 PM »
For continuous shooting, do you keep pushing on the back button to keep focus, or press it once, let go, and start shooting?

Depends on what/how I'm shooting. In AI Servo with a moving subject, keep it pressed. If neither you nor your subject are moving, it's fine to release it.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

shashinkaman

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 13, 2013, 10:00:12 AM »
How about trying stuff out for yourself instead of asking everybody else!? Jeez!
Don't be such a Pixel Peeper!

sturdiva

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 13, 2013, 10:00:41 AM »
I seem to be doing the opposite of everyone else on this thread (which probably means I'm missing something).

I used back button focus on my t2i/550d for everything. I would use the center point, and the focus and recompose. Like most others, this worked pretty well for me, except for issues with nobody else being able to use my camera, and occasional missed focus (Either due to inaccuracies in the body itself, or too much movement during the recompose).

Once I upgraded to a 5d3, I actually went the other way and have stopped using back button focus, with the following rational:

- I don't shoot sports/birds/wildlife, and so am more interested in accurate focus than I am worried about missing a shot. With back button focus, the shutter will release regardless of if focus has been acquired or not. To that end I have set AI-Servo 1s5/2nd Image Priority to prioritize focus over shutter release.

- The spread of AF points on the 5d3 is (usually) wide enough where I don't need to focus and recompose, I can just pick an AF point on the outside and am able to frame the shot as I would like.

Having said that, I do run into times when I can't get an AF point where I need it, and I feel like I was faster at focus and recompose than I am at selecting a different AF point, but perhaps this is just a practice/technique thing.

I would love to hear from others on this, with so many others in this thread using back button focus on 5d3/1dx I feel like I must be missing something.
Sometimes right, Sometimes wrong, but always certain.

ATC

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 13, 2013, 10:04:58 AM »
How about trying stuff out for yourself instead of asking everybody else!? Jeez!

I'm glad he asked. I've learned a few things from the answers.
SL1 - 18-55   40D - Tamron 18-270PZD   6D - 24-105,  70-300

PhotoAviator

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
    • markamos.smugmug.com
« Reply #66 on: August 13, 2013, 10:13:01 AM »
I would love to hear from others on this, with so many others in this thread using back button focus on 5d3/1dx I feel like I must be missing something.

To me, the biggest advantage of back button focus has less to do with focus and recompose vs using other points and more to do with actually being able to utilize full time manual focusing on my lenses. With back button focusing, the switch on my lens never leaves the AF position, but I don't have to worry about AF messing up my manual focusing if I'm waiting until just the right moment to press the shutter. My camera only autofocuses if and when I want it to, and I never have to move the switch on my lens to MF. To me, that's complete control.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #66 on: August 13, 2013, 10:13:01 AM »

mw

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 13, 2013, 10:28:50 AM »
I am getting mixed results trying to use the backbutton focus. I am wondering if I might be doing something wrong. That's why I asked. Hope that's not a crime is it? Jeez!!!

Sporgon

• 1D X
  • 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • View Profile
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
« Reply #68 on: August 13, 2013, 10:40:16 AM »
I seem to be doing the opposite of everyone else on this thread (which probably means I'm missing something).

I used back button focus on my t2i/550d for everything. I would use the center point, and the focus and recompose. Like most others, this worked pretty well for me, except for issues with nobody else being able to use my camera,

Switch your camera to green box mode before handing over. AF goes back to default as do most other things.

serendipidy

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 13, 2013, 07:15:37 PM »

Me too :) So thanks for asking and thanks everyone for your answers.
EOS 5D miii, EOS 7D, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS ii, 100-400mmL IS

Pi

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Math and Photography
« Reply #70 on: August 13, 2013, 07:17:22 PM »

Me too :) So thanks for asking and thanks everyone for your answers.

I have to say that I tried it several times before and did not like it but discussions like this made me try harder; and I am glad that I did. I use it now very often.

Valvebounce

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 13, 2013, 07:54:50 PM »
Hi guys.
I tried this technique a while back when it was discussed in another thread, I decided I didn't like it.
I tried again when I read this post and after a good session taking pictures of the Cowes Week Fireworks I have decided I like it and will not be going back to he old method.
Not having the focus hunt whilst waiting for a good picture is as good a reason as any to try it.
Thanks to the forum users for convincing me to give it another go.

Cheers Graham.
7D Gripped, 40D Gripped*, *20D, 300D Saved a holiday now retired, *E-FS 17-85, E-FS 18-55 Kit lenses, Cosina 100-300, Sigma 150-500, Sigma 17-70 2.8-4 C, *50mm f1.8, 550EX some filters remotes tripod heads etc!
Still can't use most of it to its full potential! ;)  *=Purchased Used

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #72 on: August 13, 2013, 08:06:22 PM »
Hi guys.
I tried this technique a while back when it was discussed in another thread, I decided I didn't like it.
I tried again when I read this post and after a good session taking pictures of the Cowes Week Fireworks I have decided I like it and will not be going back to he old method.
Not having the focus hunt whilst waiting for a good picture is as good a reason as any to try it.
Thanks to the forum users for convincing me to give it another go.

Cheers Graham.

Pre-focusing... :)  E.g., if subject moves to the same position over and over again, all you have to do is just click, click, click.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #72 on: August 13, 2013, 08:06:22 PM »

Krob78

• 1D X
  • When in Doubt, Press the Shutter...
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 27, 2013, 05:32:44 PM »

I used back button focus on my t2i/550d for everything. I would use the center point, and the focus and recompose. Like most others, this worked pretty well for me, except for issues with nobody else being able to use my camera,

Switch your camera to green box mode before handing over. AF goes back to default as do most other things.
Like most others, this worked pretty well for me, except for issues with nobody else being able to use my camera
Indeed, I actually like that issue!  I hate to hand my camera over to anyone.  Well, maybe with the exception of my assistant but I watch her carefully too! 

Agreed though, if turning it over to someone else, just put it in that green box mode...  ;)
Ken

5D Mark III, 100-400mm L, EF 70-200mm f/2.8 II, EF 24-105mm L, EF 17-40mm L, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM,  Canon 580EX II, Canon 430EX II, Promaster TC 1.7x

candc

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 27, 2013, 06:39:13 PM »
i use it sometimes if i am using the p mode and shifting a lot, that way its thumb press, finger dial and then shutter instead of half press, move to dial and then back to shutter button. seems to work better for me there.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #74 on: September 27, 2013, 06:39:13 PM »