October 20, 2014, 04:21:26 AM

Author Topic: Backbutton Focus..do you use it? Pros? Cons? How hard to get used to it?  (Read 23891 times)

Valvebounce

• 1D Mark IV
  • Still can't use most of it to it's full potential!
    • View Profile
Re: Backbutton Focus..do you use it? Pros? Cons? How hard to get used to it?
« Reply #90 on: September 28, 2013, 01:13:56 PM »
Hi Folks, as I said in my reply in August I had just started using this on my 7D. I have a 300D which I know cannot do it, but I just acquired a 20D, with many more customisable settings, I am really missing BBF on this body, any one know if one of the menus can enable one of the other buttons to do this. I have read the manual and browsed the menus and the setting for custom functions, seems like cf17 should do it but I don't have lenses with AF stop button so that rules out cf17. Can't be done?

I guess from this you should be able to extrapolate that I really like Back Button Focus!

Hope this doesn't count as hijacking a thread!

Cheers Graham.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 01:15:53 PM by Valvebounce »
7D + Grip, 40D + Grip, 20D, EF-S 17-85 Kit lens, EF 70-200 f2.8 L IS II USM, EF 2x III, Sigma 150-500, Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 C, 50mm f1.8, 550EX some Filters Remotes Macro tubes Tripod heads etc!
20D, BG-E2N, 17-85mm, 50mm are pre loved. :)
(300D Saved a holiday, E-FS 18-55 Cosina 100-300 retired)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #90 on: September 28, 2013, 01:13:56 PM »

Halfrack

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 28, 2013, 06:01:05 PM »
Just to put it in perspective, medium format systems don't have 45 af points - they have 1 or best case 3.  Focus and recompose is just part of what you learn to deal with.  Hasselblad on the H4D/H5D have a single point, and their True AF isn't all that, but the dedicated button is something you just get used to.
"Me owning a lens shop is kind of like having an alcoholic bar tender." - Roger Cicala

wsheldon

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • sheldon-photo
« Reply #92 on: September 28, 2013, 06:30:14 PM »
Hi Folks, as I said in my reply in August I had just started using this on my 7D. I have a 300D which I know cannot do it, but I just acquired a 20D, with many more customisable settings, I am really missing BBF on this body, any one know if one of the menus can enable one of the other buttons to do this. I have read the manual and browsed the menus and the setting for custom functions, seems like cf17 should do it but I don't have lenses with AF stop button so that rules out cf17. Can't be done?

I guess from this you should be able to extrapolate that I really like Back Button Focus!

Cheers Graham.

Sure - you can use CF 4 to set the respective functions of the main shutter button and * button (focus lock) on the back. If you use option 1 (AE lock/AF) then the shutter button retains AE lock but AF moves to the * button, or use option 3 (AE/AF (no AE lock)) if you do not want AE lock at all.

I used CF 4 setting 1 and then kept the AF mode set at AI Servo, so as long as I held down the * button the camera would continue to track focus, then releasing it locked focus and it stayed put until you pressed it again. A short press of the * button is similar to one-shot focus so you have the best of both. Ideal set up as far as I'm concerned.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 06:38:25 PM by wsheldon »
Canon 6D & 50D, nice set of lenses

Valvebounce

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 28, 2013, 07:37:44 PM »
Hi,
Thanks for that, I looked at cf4 several times and misread it every time, thinking it was the order it would do things on the shutter release button!  ::) And this despite following similar custom menu button options on 2 other bodies wih a dedicated AF on button.  ::) ::)

One real good reason to swap out the 300D for the 20D so that I don't keep forgetting to focus now I am indoctrinated to BB Focus. 8)

All I need to complete my foolish look is someone to tell me it CAN be done on 300D after I said I know it can't!  :o ;D

Cheers. Graham.

Cheers Graham.

Sure - you can use CF 4 to set the respective functions of the main shutter button and * button (focus lock) on the back. If you use option 1 (AE lock/AF) then the shutter button retains AE lock but AF moves to the * button, or use option 3 (AE/AF (no AE lock)) if you do not want AE lock at all.

I used CF 4 setting 1 and then kept the AF mode set at AI Servo, so as long as I held down the * button the camera would continue to track focus, then releasing it locked focus and it stayed put until you pressed it again. A short press of the * button is similar to one-shot focus so you have the best of both. Ideal set up as far as I'm concerned.
7D + Grip, 40D + Grip, 20D, EF-S 17-85 Kit lens, EF 70-200 f2.8 L IS II USM, EF 2x III, Sigma 150-500, Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 C, 50mm f1.8, 550EX some Filters Remotes Macro tubes Tripod heads etc!

wsheldon

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • sheldon-photo
« Reply #94 on: September 28, 2013, 09:55:15 PM »
You're welcome. Never used the 300D, but I think the 20D was a great camera. Couldn't bear to sell mine when I upgraded, so I gave it to my son as his first DSLR and he's happily shooting away. It was the first DSLR to really replace film cameras for me in every way. Good memories.

Have fun.

Hi,
Thanks for that, I looked at cf4 several times and misread it every time, thinking it was the order it would do things on the shutter release button!  ::) And this despite following similar custom menu button options on 2 other bodies wih a dedicated AF on button.  ::) ::)

One real good reason to swap out the 300D for the 20D so that I don't keep forgetting to focus now I am indoctrinated to BB Focus. 8)

All I need to complete my foolish look is someone to tell me it CAN be done on 300D after I said I know it can't!  :o ;D

Cheers. Graham.

7Dneilan

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 29, 2013, 02:41:05 AM »
Hi folks,

From a keen amateur, this post has been very helpful. Have just taken AF off my shutter and am looking forward to giving it a whirl.

My only observation though: is it that big of a deal when handing your camera to someone else, to point to the BBF and say "here's what you press to focus"? I mean, if the person finds that instruction hard to deal with, then I wouldn't be giving them my camera at all.
7D, 24-105 f4L, 70-200 f2.8L IS II, 580EX II

AlanF

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 29, 2013, 04:35:39 AM »
I am at Heathrow airport with just my SX50 and can't check, but I think you can just switch back to the green auto setting and it will ignore what you have set for your custom settings. BBF is just so useful. Yesterday, I did some quick manual focussing in a tricky situation without having to switch off AF by simply not using the BB.
5D III, 70D, Powershot SX50, 300/2.8 II, 1.4xTC III, 2xTC III, 70-200/4 IS, 24-105, 15-85, Sigma 10-20, Tamron 150-600.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #96 on: September 29, 2013, 04:35:39 AM »

Valvebounce

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 29, 2013, 05:28:33 AM »
Hi,
You'd think if I trust them with my camera then they will be able to cope with BBF.
Example, last week my brother and his family were over in England from USA, to see our father for possibly the last time, (when his vascular surgeon says he's on quality time not quantity time you get the family together) we had a family evening and with us is a long time friend of my brother which was good as he could take some group shots of us including me, I'm not in many usually behind camera not in front.
This friend is a dispensing pharmacist so has degrees etc ie not a fool.
Right I've set it all up all you have to do is press this button, marked focus on then press this big one under your index finger. Not one in focus picture and I didn't think to check any of them. ::)
Unfortunately due to the 17-85 lens being out of wack at the wide end I had to have the camera in live view focus and I didn't think that would focus from the focus button in green square, not sure if I set green square or not. Either way he had enough info and supposed intellect to deal with BBF and with him being an iPhone photographer I thought live view would help.
Fortunately I did take some pics just means I'm absent from them.

Cheers. Graham.

Hi folks,

From a keen amateur, this post has been very helpful. Have just taken AF off my shutter and am looking forward to giving it a whirl.

My only observation though: is it that big of a deal when handing your camera to someone else, to point to the BBF and say "here's what you press to focus"? I mean, if the person finds that instruction hard to deal with, then I wouldn't be giving them my camera at all.

wsheldon

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • sheldon-photo
« Reply #98 on: September 29, 2013, 08:45:04 AM »
Very sorry to hear about your father's condition - that's not easy.

But about BBF I think the green zone comment above is the right approach when handing someone else your camera for a snapshot. It also sets the camera to P mode with some audible focus beeps as I recall, which will help them know what's going on.

Hi,
You'd think if I trust them with my camera then they will be able to cope with BBF.
Example, last week my brother and his family were over in England from USA, to see our father for possibly the last time, (when his vascular surgeon says he's on quality time not quantity time you get the family together) we had a family evening and with us is a long time friend of my brother which was good as he could take some group shots of us including me, I'm not in many usually behind camera not in front.
Right I've set it all up all you have to do is press this button, marked focus on then press this big one under your index finger. Not one in focus picture and I didn't think to check any of them. ::)
Unfortunately due to the 17-85 lens being out of wack at the wide end I had to have the camera in live view focus and I didn't think that would focus from the focus button in green square, not sure if I set green square or not. Either way he had enough info and supposed intellect to deal with BBF and with him being an iPhone photographer I thought live view would help.

Cheers. Graham.

Hi folks,

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 29, 2013, 09:30:04 AM »

I used the green square mode in that situation. With the 7D and 5DII, the camera would still shoot RAW, which was good.

Currently, I have to either explain or change the custom controls setting - no green square mode on my camera.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

DominoDude

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 29, 2013, 10:44:16 AM »
Also shooting with a 7D, and the first thing I looked for in the manual was how to set it to have BBF. I don't even think I took a single frame with the camera before I had it set up. If I love it? You bet I do! :)

For those mentioning problems with handing the camera over to someone else. If I hand over the camera to someone else it is either because I'm being robbed, or someone is buying it from me.
To have an opinion is easy. To have a reputation is much harder; at least if you want a good one.

Valvebounce

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 29, 2013, 02:18:58 PM »
Hi,
Thank you for your kindness.
I have not checked whether the shutter button does focus live view in green mode, but I had a thought earlier, it does take a while to focus in live view and I don't know if he was perhaps impatient and snapping before focus lock or just didn't get press this then this. Either way I cannot lay the blame for missed shots on any one other than me. I should have checked. I will not even mention the missed focus as he is the kind of guy that would feel guilty as he knows the situation with dad.

Cheers Graham.

Very sorry to hear about your father's condition - that's not easy.

But about BBF I think the green zone comment above is the right approach when handing someone else your camera for a snapshot. It also sets the camera to P mode with some audible focus beeps as I recall, which will help them know what's going on.

Hi,

Cheers. Graham.

Hi folks,

golubiewac1

• SX50 HS
  • front ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 29, 2013, 02:38:07 PM »
I've found this discussion very useful and have followed the tips here to set it up on my 7D.  Would not want to spend a ton of time blundering down blind alleys doing cut and try.  The 7D is too complex for that.  Thanks to all the responders who have added good ideas to the conversation.  I'm not too proud to benefit from the experience of others as well as experimenting.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #102 on: September 29, 2013, 02:38:07 PM »

chilledXpress

« Reply #103 on: September 29, 2013, 02:43:44 PM »
For those mentioning problems with handing the camera over to someone else. If I hand over the camera to someone else it is either because I'm being robbed, or someone is buying it from me.

You've never been on vacation with the family or wife...  ???

CHL

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 29, 2013, 08:03:34 PM »
Thank you all - since two days now I am on BBF and I simply can't understand why I didn't figure that out before! Agree with Neuro: "Use it - love it". And the only person I would hand my camera to is my son and he is a much better photographer than me so he would know and I suspect that this is how his 7D is set up :-)
EOS 5D MKIII, EOS 40D, 16-35/4L IS, 85/1.8, 135/2L, 24-70/2.8L II,70-200/4L IS, 40/2.8, G11

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #104 on: September 29, 2013, 08:03:34 PM »