November 23, 2014, 06:19:15 AM

Author Topic: EOS 7D Mark II Basic Specs [CR2]  (Read 29069 times)

jdramirez

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: EOS 7D Mark II Basic Specs [CR2]
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2013, 10:01:02 PM »
:o I really hope that "ISO 100-2560" is a typo with a missing digit...   ;)

That would sure surprise some people.  I hear it is REALLY clean at 2500... at 2560 it is crap!
Upgrade  path.->means the former was sold for the latter.

XS->60D->5d Mkiii:18-55->24-105L:75-300->55-250->70-300->70-200 f4L USM->70-200 f/2.8L USM->70-200 f/2.8L IS Mkii:50 f/1.8->50 f/1.4->100L-> 85mm f/1.8 USM-> 8mm -> 85mm f/1.2L mkii

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2013, 10:01:02 PM »

rpt

• Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2013, 10:23:52 PM »
7D2 is like the Higgs Boson. You know it is out there but you can't put a finger on it! :)

ahsanford

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2013, 10:52:27 PM »
Triple ditto? 

Well anyway, I'm sticking to my theory. If Nikon rolls out the D400 in the next two months, I think we may see the 70D sensor in the 7D. If Nikon does nothing in the fall and Canon holds off until sometime in 2014, I think the odds of a shiny new sensor go up significantly.

I don't want to look a triple ditto gift horse in the mouth, but...   ::)

I'm not certain the 7D2 is just waiting for a Canon "Execute build plan delta!" audible to be called from corporate in quick response to a Nikon offering.  I'm sure they'd love to, but does it work that way?

I don't think the sensor decision (in particular) is a plug-and-play variable in the design.  I'm an engineer (not a EE to be fair), but wouldn't an 11th hour sensor decision drive a lot of other issues, like processor bandwidth, LiveView control firmware, rate-limiting the shutter to not overheat the processor / fill the buffer too soon, etc.  Also, doesn't the board + sensor have a specialized mount with power and heat sink considerations?

Just thinking out loud... Maybe it could be as Unfocused has said if Canon's development process banked things as they went.  It's possible that they have a banked 'vanilla' 7D2 design (only so-so, think '70D plus') ready for manufacture should Nikon offer the D400, but could concurrently be working on a more badass variant should the competition take longer with their designs...  As much as we believe Canon has armies of engineers and dozen of design variants (to some extent I am sure they do), it would be horrifically inefficient to take many concepts all the way to near-production prep like that.

(...but it would SO explain why new products take so damn long with Canon.   :P)

- A
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 10:58:20 PM by ahsanford »

ahsanford

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2013, 10:55:19 PM »
7D2 is like the Higgs Boson. You know it is out there but you can't put a finger on it! :)

No no no.  Either a weather-sealed 35 F/1.4L II or a Canon 24-70 F/2.8L II with IS is the Higgs-Boson.

:P

- A

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2013, 11:23:20 PM »
+1 Hah! Very good.

-PW

tnargs

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2013, 11:50:10 PM »
I still am not buying the rumor that the 70D sensor is the same as the 7D2 sensor.  That only would have made sense if the 7D2 came out considerably in advance of the 70D, and that ship has sailed.   Why a lower trimline body would get such a vital core IQ component that a far better product will get a year later makes no sense at all.

But the 7D wasn't the first model with the 18MP sensor. IIRC Canon said it was 'different' to prior 18 MP models, but it was pretty subtle. So why should it have to be first with the new 20 MP sensor?

If we are lucky, it will be a slightly upped version of the 20.

tnargs

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2013, 11:53:01 PM »
Sony had a 24 MP APS-C rig... what -- three or four years ago? 

1.9 years ago. Still a way to go for that series.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2013, 11:53:01 PM »

Orangutan

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2013, 12:41:18 AM »
I don't think the sensor decision (in particular) is a plug-and-play variable in the design.  I'm an engineer (not a EE to be fair), but wouldn't an 11th hour sensor decision drive a lot of other issues, like processor bandwidth, LiveView control firmware, rate-limiting the shutter to not overheat the processor / fill the buffer too soon, etc.  Also, doesn't the board + sensor have a specialized mount with power and heat sink considerations?

Speculating here, and I'm not an engineer.  I can't imagine how it would be very far from PnP, considering each component likely has to be designed by a separate team.  My guess is that they would give each team a target range for parameters, then tweak them to make it fit together in the the last few months of design.  So if they use the 20Mp sensor they might get 11.3 fps, but if they go with a new 24Mp sensor it would be (20/24) * 11.3 = 9.4 fps.  But I'm just blowing smoke...

If the 70D's IQ is "reasonable" then the 7D2 would do with that sensor if it has the performance of a mini-1DX.  And Canon wouldn't sell it if it were a mini 1DX with the IQ to match.  If the 70D's IQ really is indistinguishable from the 60D's, it would be hard to achieve the quantity sales with the 7D2 they appear to have gotten from the current 7D.

candyman

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My photographs
« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2013, 12:52:54 AM »
Why the discussion about more megapixel? Isn't the 7D (and MK II) aimed at sports / birding shooters? It already has the 1.6x crop. For me 18mp was ok. The 8 fps was ok too. Mostly I want usable ISO 6400. And 19 points AF was ok too. I wouldn't dislike the AF system of the 5D MKIII but if the 7D MK II does not have more than 19, then it is not a showstopper for me to buy the 7D MK II. I like the AF presets of the 5D MK III. Would be nice if they include this in the 7D MK II.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 01:09:07 AM by candyman »

sagittariansrock

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2013, 01:21:40 AM »
I'm looking at it differently. The longer Canon delays, the more the 5DIII and 6D will drop in price. So, while waiting is hard, I tell myself that I've still got the best APS-C camera overall and as a consumer, I like the idea of being able to choose between a spiffy new 7DII or a nicely discounted 5DIII or 6D.

The thing is, even I am okay with upgrading by mid-2014, but if Canon has at least announces the 7DII by the end of this year then I can decide if I want to wait for the 7DII (if the ISO performance is significantly better than 7D then it is a cheaper option) or get the 5DIII (more expensive but definitely superior).
Furthermore, if Canon actually released it this year, then by mid-2014 the price would have come down some and stabilized.
Oh well, I think I'll just bite the bullet on the 5DIII if Adorama, etc. announces another sale- just hate to think of the hassle of selling all the EF-S lenses...

If I may ask a thread-unrelated question: Is it better to buy new from BigValue or buy refurbished direct from Canon (through CLP)? The 5DIII prices are pretty close and now Canon provides 1 year warranty on refurbs.
EOS 5DIII, EOS 5D | Rokinon 14mm f/2.8, TS-E 17mm f/4L, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM, EF 35mm f/1.4L USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM, EF 135mm f/2L USM, EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM, 1.4x III, 2x III | 600-EX-RT x3 | EOS M + EF-M 22mm f/2

dilbert

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2013, 02:10:31 AM »
Here's hoping the new 20.2mp APS-C sensor has honest RAW IQ improvements over the old 18 mp one  :-\

It'll be the same sensor that the 70D has...

Based on past history we will likely see the 70D 20mp sensor used for all crop sensors for the next 3-4 years.  JPEG shooters may see incremental improvements during this period but RAW output won't change.

And during the same period of time, Nikon/Sony APS-C cameras will have moved to 30MP (or more) with about the same IQ as the Canon 20MP sensor.

I am not arguing for more megapixels, but the competition will have a field day from a perception standpoint.  Sony had a 24 MP APS-C rig... what -- three or four years ago?  It's all but assured that a 30+ MP APS-C rig is coming from someone before the 7D2 is available. 

I still am not buying the rumor that the 70D sensor is the same as the 7D2 sensor.  That only would have made sense if the 7D2 came out considerably in advance of the 70D, and that ship has sailed.   Why a lower trimline body would get such a vital core IQ component that a far better product will get a year later makes no sense at all.

That's because you're not thinking like a large corporation that is trying to keep costs low and maximise the return on the money that it invests in R&D. It is not unknown for Canon to introduce new features in lower spec camera models before introducing them on the higher end models.

dilbert

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2013, 02:13:12 AM »

Speculating here, and I'm not an engineer.  I can't imagine how it would be very far from PnP.

It is a long way from PnP. DSLRs aren't PCs and that sensor isn't plugging into a USB bus.

dilbert

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2013, 02:18:07 AM »
Triple ditto? 

Well anyway, I'm sticking to my theory. If Nikon rolls out the D400 in the next two months, I think we may see the 70D sensor in the 7D. If Nikon does nothing in the fall and Canon holds off until sometime in 2014, I think the odds of a shiny new sensor go up significantly.

I don't want to look a triple ditto gift horse in the mouth, but...   ::)

I'm not certain the 7D2 is just waiting for a Canon "Execute build plan delta!" audible to be called from corporate in quick response to a Nikon offering.  I'm sure they'd love to, but does it work that way?

Yes, you're right on all of the above. There might be different prototypes produced but each one would be its own complete solution - you wouldn't decide to take feature X from camera A and add it to camera B.

(...but it would SO explain why new products take so damn long with Canon.   :P)

There are comments somewhere that the C300, at 2 years to deliver, was a record for Canon in bringing a product to market quickly.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2013, 02:18:07 AM »

pj1974

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • A selection of my photos (copyright)
« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2013, 02:53:41 AM »
A number of us posted on a thread some time ago (a few months?) - about the time from R&D on new technology and putting into a new DSLR, and the time between initial announcement, to production and final release.

The most knowledgable people (including some CR contributors who work in electronics / R&D) - said that the process would usually take some years with 'new technology', into something like an DSLR.

So, I believe Canon could have a new sensor in the 7DmkII - as well as 1 or 2 other 'great features' (eg improved AF, eg more pts and dual focus LiveView & improved optical focus).

Hoping for such a camera, sometime in 2014!

Regards

Paul
I'm not a brand-fanatic. What I do appreciate is using my 7D and 350D cameras along with a host of lenses & many accessories to capture quality photos, and share with friends.

VanWeddings

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
    • VanWeddings: Vancouver Wedding Photographer, Vancouver Wedding Videos
« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2013, 03:38:25 AM »
•Video features are said to be limited by marketing

guess I was right to move away from canon, aka the crippler

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2013, 03:38:25 AM »