August 20, 2014, 03:28:49 PM

Author Topic: EOS 7D Mark II Basic Specs [CR2]  (Read 26596 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
EOS 7D Mark II Basic Specs [CR2]
« on: August 07, 2013, 03:23:10 PM »

EOS 7D Mark II

Northlight has received a spec list similar to what we have seen for the EOS 7D Mark II. Some of the specs are not yet written in stone.

EOS 7D Mark II Rumoured Specs

• 20.2mp APS-C

• 12 fps is possible – target is 10

• Video features are said to be limited by marketing (or by Magic Lantern)

• ISO 100-2560

• A “new” AF system, probably built on the EOS-1D X system

• Dual Pixel AF (possibly improved)

Additional Source: [NL]

cr

canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

EOS 7D Mark II Basic Specs [CR2]
« on: August 07, 2013, 03:23:10 PM »

hoacker

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
Re: EOS 7D Mark II Basic Specs [CR2]
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 03:41:39 PM »
:o I really hope that "ISO 100-2560" is a typo with a missing digit...   ;)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 03:43:18 PM by hoacker »

Efka76

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 03:51:46 PM »
Looking at these specs I can not convince myself whether I would need to upgrade my current 7D:

20.2mp APS-C - 18 MP is sufficient for me. Additional 2 MP will not give any significant improvement

12 fps is possible – target is 10  - 8 FPS is also sufficient for me as I am not professional sports photographer. Also, when I was shooting rally current FPS was sufficient.

Video features are said to be limited by marketing (or by Magic Lantern) - good to have a better video quality but I rarely use this feature;

ISO 100-25600 - expansion of usable ISO would be a real advantage. Current 7D I use until ISO 1200 as higher ISO is clearly noticeable.

A “new” AF system, probably built on the EOS-1D X system - that would be really nice to have however, usually I use center point in camera for composing and then reframe the shoot.

Dual Pixel AF (possibly improved)
Gripped EOS 7D | EF 50 1.4 USM | EF 70-200 2.8L IS II USM | EF 100 2.8L IS USM | Tamron SP 24-70 2.8 | EF-S 18-135 mm | 580 EXII | ThinkTank Retrospective 30

bseitz234

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • BrianSeitzPhoto
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 03:52:01 PM »
Well, I'm disappointed with all the rumors coming out that this is just a derivative of the 70D sensor... was really hoping for a new, smaller fab process with next-gen IQ, starting with this camera. I really have no interest in the dual pixel AF, to be honest, and I can't imagine the sports/wildlife portion of the 7D's target market really does. Maybe I'm wrong, it's probably been discussed elsewhere... oh well.

10FPS sounds good, 12FPS sounds like it'd be shut down by the marketing team... New Phase AF sounds good, too, as long as it's a step up from the 7D and not a step backwards. Although by the time this camera is actually available I'll probably have the money for a 1Dx and it'll be irrelevant anyway.  ;)
7D x2
70-200 f/2.8L - 17-55 f/2.8 IS - 10-22 f/3.5-4.5 - 85 f/1.8 - 50 f/1.4 - 28 f/1.8
580ex II - 2x 430ex II

AlanF

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 03:53:10 PM »
Oh no. Here we go again.  I originally joined Canon Rumors after finding it on Google searching for news about a 7D II a lifetime ago. Another new rumour before the last 16 or 17 page forum has ended is too much. 
5D III, 70D, Powershot SX50, 300/2.8 II, 1.4xTC III, 2xTC III, 70-200/4 IS, 24-105, 15-85, Sigma 10-20, Tamron 150-600.

Dianoda

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2013, 04:04:06 PM »
Well, I'm disappointed with all the rumors coming out that this is just a derivative of the 70D sensor... was really hoping for a new, smaller fab process with next-gen IQ, starting with this camera. I really have no interest in the dual pixel AF, to be honest, and I can't imagine the sports/wildlife portion of the 7D's target market really does. Maybe I'm wrong, it's probably been discussed elsewhere... oh well.

10FPS sounds good, 12FPS sounds like it'd be shut down by the marketing team... New Phase AF sounds good, too, as long as it's a step up from the 7D and not a step backwards. Although by the time this camera is actually available I'll probably have the money for a 1Dx and it'll be irrelevant anyway.  ;)

I find it pretty likely that the 70D sensor already is using a smaller fab process - at least it definitely makes some noticeable strides in low ISO shadow noise - there is no more banding, judging from the RAW's I've reviewed, and definitely some increased headroom in when it comes to pulling shadows from low ISO RAWs.  Give me that plus pro-grade AF and 10-12FPS in package smaller/more affordable than the 1D series, and I think you'd find quite a few buyers right there.
Current Kit: Some cameras and a bunch of lenses, maybe even a tripod or two

-Jarred-

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2013, 04:18:04 PM »
Reserving judgement until we start seeing how the RAW files look off the 70D. The rest sound like solid upgrades, 10fps is heaps and if it gets a derivative ov the 1DX AF I'd be stoked. The only thing that puts me off is the prev rumour of being delayed 'til this time next year. May consider just saving for a 5DIII.
5DIII | 24-70mm f/2.8L | 70-200mm f/2.8L | 2x Extender III

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2013, 04:18:04 PM »

schill

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2013, 04:27:02 PM »
The only thing that puts me off is the prev rumour of being delayed 'til this time next year.

At this point, I think I'm more interested in knowing when it's going to come out than knowing what the features are.

I'm not really looking to replace my 7D right now, but if I wanted to make a decision (spring for a 5D III, for example) it would be nice to know how long I'd have to wait.  A 7D II at the end of this year I'd probably wait and see.  At the end of next year I might want to do something sooner.

By the way, 10-12 fps would probably be enough to make me preorder.  8 fps on the 7D did before. :)

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2013, 04:38:09 PM »
1DX like focusing, 10 or 12fps, possibly improved dual-pixel autofocus.... as a 60D owner who is into wildlife photography, this is a worthy upgrade!

I am very interested to see what happens with dual-pixel autofocus.... give it enough computing power and in live-view mode it could do some impressive tracking of small birds!
The best camera is the one in your hands

unfocused

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2013, 04:46:32 PM »
Oh no. Here we go again...Another new rumour before the last 16 or 17 page forum has ended is too much.

Let's hope this one doesn't devolve into another full frame vs. APS-C bash-fest. (One can always dream, right?)

I'm starting to think Canon is just trying to wait out Nikon and see who blinks first. If these specs are accurate, this is a model that could easily be brought to market now if they wanted. If Nikon announces a D400 in the fall, we may see this camera announced before the end of the year.

If Nikon continues to slow-walk the D400 (and it is older and significantly more outdated than the 7D, which still remains competitive) I could see Canon slipping a new and different sensor in this body depending on what their intelligence on Nikon reveals.

At this point, I think I'm more interested in knowing when it's going to come out than knowing what the features are...if I wanted to make a decision (spring for a 5D III, for example) it would be nice to know how long I'd have to wait.  A 7D II at the end of this year I'd probably wait and see.  At the end of next year I might want to do something sooner.

I'm looking at it differently. The longer Canon delays, the more the 5DIII and 6D will drop in price. So, while waiting is hard, I tell myself that I've still got the best APS-C camera overall and as a consumer, I like the idea of being able to choose between a spiffy new 7DII or a nicely discounted 5DIII or 6D.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

schill

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2013, 05:03:40 PM »

At this point, I think I'm more interested in knowing when it's going to come out than knowing what the features are...if I wanted to make a decision (spring for a 5D III, for example) it would be nice to know how long I'd have to wait.  A 7D II at the end of this year I'd probably wait and see.  At the end of next year I might want to do something sooner.

I'm looking at it differently. The longer Canon delays, the more the 5DIII and 6D will drop in price. So, while waiting is hard, I tell myself that I've still got the best APS-C camera overall and as a consumer, I like the idea of being able to choose between a spiffy new 7DII or a nicely discounted 5DIII or 6D.

I don't think we're really looking at it all that differently.  I'm happy with my 7D and don't feel any real need to replace it.  The 5D III has some stuff I think I'd like, but 6fps is too big a step backwards.

I am planning to play with a 5D III this weekend, though, just to see what it's like.

hoodlum

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Birds
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2013, 05:44:06 PM »
If Nikon continues to slow-walk the D400 (and it is older and significantly more outdated than the 7D, which still remains competitive) I could see Canon slipping a new and different sensor in this body depending on what their intelligence on Nikon reveals.

Based on past history we will likely see the 70D 20mp sensor used for all crop sensors for the next 3-4 years.  JPEG shooters may see incremental improvements during this period but RAW output won't change.

drjlo

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2013, 05:45:05 PM »
Here's hoping the new 20.2mp APS-C sensor has honest RAW IQ improvements over the old 18 mp one  :-\

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2013, 05:45:05 PM »

zygzag

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2013, 05:54:12 PM »
if the 7d11 comes out late 2014 as recent rumors suggest, won't it be already out of date? with new ff nex and fuji mirrorless bodies coming out that should be able to keep up af-wise, that shoot 10fps at least, who will want a large cumbersome 7d (especially considering it's supposed to have a 1d form factor)?

strikes me that the 7d2 should have come out a while back. if there isn't a substantial iq uptick or some other compelling reason to buy this body, i'm thinking canon may have missed the boat.

they're banking, and have stated as much, on slrs continuing to be the preferred body type. the rest of the market doesn't suggest the is the wave of the future.

2n10

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2013, 06:44:42 PM »
Pretty reasonable specs.  One or two stops greater ISO range depending on where the expansion is sounds good.  10-12FPS is very interesting to me for some reason.  A derivative of the 1DX AF system is very intriguing.

The expected time for availability will give me time to save up for it.
Canon EOS 7D, EF-S 10-22, EF-S 17-55, EF 100 Macro, EF 50 1.4, EF 70-300, EF 100-400L

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2013, 06:44:42 PM »